stainless bumpers

just fitted a stainless steel front bumper from harrington group bristol/vietnam.

and it fits great and looks great.just watch out for the metric fasteners.

much better fit than the **** moss one on the back, now rusting.

ordered it on the 15 dec. posted from vietnam 4 jan arrived today the 6th.

wish i had ordered a rear one as well

richard

Interesting to hear your experience Richard. Sounds a bit dodgy ordering stuff from Vietnam but I have heard they are highly recommended.

Bumpers are on my list of things to do but as I am having the dashboard redone, my TR budget is committed this year!

It'll be one for next winter though.

Cheers

Have you got any pics of the s/s bumper in situ?

Rob

Hi Rob, I am sure Guy of this forum/parish has s/s bumpers, look a treat :P

Chaps,

I have fitted Harrington SS bumpers, and they

are shiny.Been on for a good few months now.

However, i have put in a few very fine scratches somehow! Look perfect from two foot, but

get closer and can see a fine haze and hair line scratches. :mellow: Seem to me you need

to make sure your cloths are spotless before use.

I have tried to remove with various potions, without satisfaction.

I am loathed to try anything else in case i make things worse

Is there a trick to buffing/ polishing up. :rolleyes:

Can anyone report on a successful method, idoits guide :unsure:

Cheers

Guy

Is there a trick to buffing/ polishing up. :rolleyes:

Can anyone report on a successful method, idoits guide :unsure:

Cheers

Guy

Brasso ;) and elbow grease :o

Stuart.

Hi Guy,

I guess living on your Rock must get to everyone in the end . . . . bit like Napoleon on St Helena ? :rolleyes:

Consider it from this perspective - you're probably the only person who looks at your bumpers from closer than 2 foot. They are your bumpers after all, you're allowed to get intimate with them . . . . :D If anyone else gets that close-up and personal to your bumpers, you'd probably take offence - and either give them a good kicking whilst they're down, or else holler for the men in white coats with the spare straitjacket. I mean, any silly blighter eyeballing your bumpers from inches away has to be OTT, bit like tugging at the wife's blouse to look down her cleavage n'est ce pas ? B)

The rest of the world will odds on never notice "a fine haze and hair line scratches", and if they do then there's arguably something wrong with them, as in resort to kicking and/or straitjackets. ;)

Meanwhile, how are the hairs on the palms of your hands ? :P

Cheers,

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

Ok Alec and Niall :lol:

I will have you know when i was press ganged into Pride Of Ownership, against my will

in the year of the Flood 2007, by our mate Phil, the motor did win a bronze

medal despite lack of polish, hoover, history file etc etc etc. Some one had to fill

the spare places. B)

DSC04043.jpg

DSC04042-1.jpg

As far as the fine haze and scratches , here they are ;)

DSC00193.jpg

DSC00194.jpg

As for the hair on the palms of my hands, never noticed them before now. Thanks

alot, now i have something else to concentrate my boredom on.Can anyone suggest a remedy

for that too, maybe brasso <_< alas it just put more fine scratches on. :o

My apologies to the original poster of this thread, but if i can remove these scratches

the remedy may be usefull.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

early front bumper £356.

il put a photo on at the weekend

That looks like a later bumper to me?

Dont the early ones make the bumper sit closer to the body and have sloping mounts not box section??

Guy you need some better polishing cloths by the sound of it or else dont park on the beach when you are doing it. B);)

Stuart

I will have you know when i was press ganged into Pride Of Ownership, against my will

medal despite lack of polish, hoover, history file etc etc etc. Some one had to fill

the spare places. B)

DSC04043.jpg

DSC04042-1.jpg

DSC00193.jpg

DSC00194.jpg

alot, now i have something else to concentrate my boredom on.Can anyone suggest a remedy

for that too, maybe brasso

That looks like a later bumper to me?

Dont the early ones make the bumper sit closer to the body and have sloping mounts not box section??

Yes, that's correct. I fitted a later bumper to my 1969 car, whilst it was handy to get your fingers behind it to clean the front valance, it didn't really look right! So I'm pleased I hung onto the original early one and had it rechromed, cost me 200 quid but looks much neater tucked right up under the side lights.

the spare places. B)

DSC04043.jpg

DSC04042-1.jpg

DSC00193.jpg

DSC00194.jpg

for that too, maybe brasso

Ok,

Yesterday i e mail Harrington with the photos for there advise,

here it is.

Hello Guy,

Thanks for your email.

The good thing about our stainless steel bumpers is that such scratches can be removed pretty easily. The best way to do this is by using a good quality polishing paste, such as Autosol. If this doesn’t work you can also use an angle grinder or fast drill with a fabric or felt polishing head and regular jewelers rouge or tripoli.

Hope this helps! Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

Thy

Le Bao Quoc ThySales & Marketing Executive, Harrington Group

So thats what i will do. Autosol first, i do have some jewellers rouge but will need a new polishing head.

Cheers

Guy

Probably best to use a Lambswool bonnet on a polishing mop as they are much softer and can be safely washed out for re-use. Mask off the rest of the car whilst doing it as it will go everywhere ;)

Stuart.