Rocker cover tab

I sent my spare rocker cover out to be re-chromed since it was in better condition than the original. I didn't notice the lack of tab on the back until it cam back. Anyone know what it's for?

th_valvecover2-1.jpg?t=1292637313

Thanks in advance. Tom

Edited by TomMull

I sent my spare rocker cover out to be re-chromed since it was in better condition than the original. I didn't notice the lack of tab on the back until it cam back. Anyone know what it's for?

th_valvecover2-1.jpg?t=1292637313

Thanks in advance. Tom

If memory serves me correctly it's for holding the line from the temperature bulb.

Tom and Mike, that mysterious tab came from when the rocker cover became standardised between TR and Vanguard engines

It was used on the Vanguard to secure the fuel line from the manual pump up to the downdraft carby.

Vanguards didn't get the chrome finish though, only satin black.

Cheers,

Viv.

That tab caused me much embarrasment. :angry:

Early this year I bought a TR4. B)

I decided to give it a mini resto and cleared the boot and other ares of loose items. Took all the chrome off and sent for re-chroming.

One of the items was the rocker cover.

It came back in absolutely stunning condition. ;)

That night I took it to our car club meet. Whereupon they said whats that tab at the FRONT. No, say I. That's at the back. :blink:

An interesting discussion took place as to back/front etc and my sanity.

It would appear that the tab was at the back (hooray for me) mainly because the oil filler is at the front.

However a TR4 has a rear oil filler - oops (who's a tw*t then) :o

Where did this bl**dy cover come from - it just cost me £100. :mellow:

I hadn't even removed the rocker cover on the car - it was still there.

No wonder rebuilds cost so much.

Roger

That tab caused me much embarrasment. :angry:

Early this year I bought a TR4. B)

I decided to give it a mini resto and cleared the boot and other ares of loose items. Took all the chrome off and sent for re-chroming.

One of the items was the rocker cover.

It came back in absolutely stunning condition. ;)

That night I took it to our car club meet. Whereupon they said whats that tab at the FRONT. No, say I. That's at the back. :blink:

An interesting discussion took place as to back/front etc and my sanity.

It would appear that the tab was at the back (hooray for me) mainly because the oil filler is at the front.

However a TR4 has a rear oil filler - oops (who's a tw*t then) :o

Where did this bl**dy cover come from - it just cost me £100. :mellow:

I hadn't even removed the rocker cover on the car - it was still there.

No wonder rebuilds cost so much.

Roger

Its a TR3/3A one Roger. ;)

Stuart.

Its a TR3/3A one Roger. ;)

Stuart.

Interesting - my 1960 TR3A (TS78xxx) has original engine and rocker cover without the tab. The spare rocker cover, from my previous 1958 TR3A (TS29xxx), which I was planning to have rechromed has the tab (although had 3 different engines during it's life with me and who knows how many before?).

If I hear of a sensible use for the tab, I'll go ahead, otherwise I'll have the original, even scruffier one rechromed.

Interesting - my 1960 TR3A (TS78xxx) has original engine and rocker cover without the tab. The spare rocker cover, from my previous 1958 TR3A (TS29xxx), which I was planning to have rechromed has the tab (although had 3 different engines during it's life with me and who knows how many before?).

If I hear of a sensible use for the tab, I'll go ahead, otherwise I'll have the original, even scruffier one rechromed.

Brian, Same here. My two covers came from cars I bought in 1964 (so I'm fairly certain they were both original). I bought the second rollover wreck when I blew the differential newly acquired TS73117. I never recorded the commission number but I know it was post 60000. One had the tab one didn't. Assumption is that it doesn't much matter?? Thanks all for replies. Tom

Here's another version.

Italia's, due to their sloping bonnet, had rocker covers with the oil filler at the back, and the tab. I doubt they were bespoke items for so few cars, so what were these from ?

The first Italia's came well before the TR4 was released. Of course later Italia's were on TR3B chassis' and may have had TR4 engines with rear oil filler rocker covers.

The Italia did in fact use the tab for clipping the temp sender tube to the gauge, as it went through the firewall immediately behind the rocker cover.

Regards,

Viv.

PS I'll check if my old late series 3B with the rear oil filler has the tab.

Edited by vivdownunder

I inherited a chromed valve cover for a four cylinder Triumph but it has a boss in the top surface with a threaded hole. Otherwise it looks like a TR3 valve cover. What car would this have belonged to ?

I think this was intruduced in the TR4 series - not sure

exactly when but I think quite early.

This didn't always have anything fitted to it other than

a brass blanking plug.

AlanR

Stan, I've an idea that threaded hole was another Vanguard application. Fixing for an added support bracket for the large oil-bath type aircleaner.

It's always been plugged when I've seen it on TR engines.

The owner of my old TCF series 3B has confirmed its rear oil filler rocker cover has no tab. (thanks John).

Regards,

Viv.

As Viv has mentioned, there is no tab on his ex TR3b now in my posession. It does of course have the oil filler at the rear, being fitted with the TR4 engine and full synchro transmission. It also has the brass plug referred to in Viv's post. A good point about the air cleaner support; I had presumed it may have been to accept part of a PVC system on some other application. I would doubt the theory of the tab / bracket being for hanging in the plating bath, or it would surely have been on all, not just a few and certainly not on the "Guardsvans" as they were painted.