'Period' correct driving lights

Evening folks,

Basically the abbreviated story is Ive managed to pick up a decent front bumper off someone today (mine has had a minor bump, but has been straightened but the chrome has flaked and looks pretty poor).

Only downside is that it has a badge bar fitted, which Id planned to remove and just fit some small dome chromed nuts to fill the holes.

Anyhow...got me thinking that I could fit a pair of driving lights/spot lights instead. Gives me a bit more light if I need it and fills the holes left by the bar.

Im aware that the later cars had the rectangular Lucas fog lights underslung and as such may be a bit more 'period', but Id have to mount them on top a bit like this pic (not mine BTW)

6500150001_large.jpg

I quite like the round setup to be honest. However, if anyone has a pic of a TR6 with the rectangular spotties, then I could compare the round setup with them and make a decision!

Anyway, looking for peoples opinions..if all else fails I`ll fit the chromed dome bolts to fill the holes, but I notice that Rimmers do a set for the TR6 (Stainless) RX1556.jpgand Im thinking they could be a good 'fit'?

All comments good or bad welcome!

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by someone1975

Evening folks,

Basically the abbreviated story is Ive managed to pick up a decent front bumper off someone today (mine has had a minor bump, but has been straightened but the chrome has flaked and looks pretty poor).

Only downside is that it has a badge bar fitted, which Id planned to remove and just fit some small dome chromed nuts to fill the holes.

Anyhow...got me thinking that I could fit a pair of driving lights/spot lights instead. Gives me a bit more light if I need it and fills the holes left by the bar.

Im aware that the later cars had the rectangular Lucas fog lights underslung and as such may be a bit more 'period', but Id have to mount them on top a bit like this pic (not mine BTW)

I quite like the round setup to be honest. However, if anyone has a pic of a TR6 with the rectangular spotties, then I could compare the round setup with them and make a decision!

Anyway, looking for peoples opinions..if all else fails I`ll fit the chromed dome bolts to fill the holes, but I notice that Rimmers do a set for the TR6 (Stainless) and Im thinking they could be a good 'fit'?

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew, I think the round lamps look fine on the TR6 and with the lower bumper body style and the fact that you are looking at driving lamps and not fog lamps they should work well mounted above the bumper.

I have square fog lamps and the later style US body with the bumper raised and the blinkers moved below the bumper. Fog lamps like to be mounted low and out to the edge so thats where I put mine. These are fantastic at night and dont bother oncoming traffic.

Stan

TRFRallyPlaque.jpg

Hi Andrew.

I have the underslung Lucas chrome backed SQ8's on mine.

th_IMAG0264-1.jpg

Thought about mounting round ones on top,but 2 things put me off!

1.They block the flow of air into the rad duct a bit!!

2.If not fitted properly,ie the right size lamps,they will foul the bonnet when it opens!

There is very little room between the side/ind lights,so they would be close together,and for me wouldnt look right!

Dave

Hi Andrew,

Ive got both types on mine. Ive the Cibie type as shown in Stans photo under bumper, and have Cibie Tango driving lights as shown by you.

as Pilkie states you need a small driving light above the bumper or it will foul the bonnet. The cibie Tango are 5" and are not deep. perfect fit.

I was like you and had holes in the bumper and decided to fit driving lights. They are wired up to come on with full beam. Better than daylight.

Fogs have a separate switch.

Not everyones cup of tea but suits me.

Steve

Thanks for the replies guys

As I say, its not something I have to have, more of a 'there are holes there and so may as well fill it with some spotties' type of thing.

I already have a square set of Hellas which the PO gave to me with the car, but they were never fitted, but I think I will go for the small SS round spots. I`ll probably do the relay upgrade as well at the same time as going to Xenon headlights at the same time (I still have the sealed beams...its like driving along with a candle in front of you), so its light upgrade time I think.

Be good to see a pic of the setup Steve has too...sounds like he could light the runway at T4 with all those lights!. Funnily enough I searched for TR6 rally when originally researching the spotlights hoping to find inspiration, but there doesnt appear to be much in the way of a TR rally setup (unlike the TR4's etc).

Anyway, ordering them tonight so will fit them and see how they go!

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Stan,

Forget the driving lights, the 'TRF Summer Party' rally plate looks the business! ;)B)

Cheers

Andrew

They came out well despite the fact that they were home made with a laminating machine. Nothing worse than dead bugs after a 1400 mile round trip that included some high speeds and heavy rain. A lot of people asked about them at the event and there is a picture on the TRF web site of the plate on my car and also the TR6 of my buddy Dennis.

SP10web087.jpg.

SP10web081.jpg

Note that Dennis also has square lamps below the bumper although he still has the bumperettes on and had to mount them inbound. He doesnt normally have the 62 magnet on his car, that was just for the le mans theme for the TRF event.

Stan

Cheers guys..pics are great!..wish mine was as tidy as some of your cars!

I think the square fogs look especially good when you have the chin spoiler (makes the front look somehow more menacing), another job, another day maybe!

Steve, just checking that those are 5" spots and they dont foul the bonnet when you tilt it forward??

• 2 weeks later...

..... They are wired up to come on with full beam. Better than daylight.

I had a couple of cars with this arrangement, the first in 1983, a Mk1 Astra GTE with 100w bulbs in the heads and the supplementary lights. On full beam, 400w of halogen, fine, see for miles, but when one has to dip for oncoming traffic one is suddenly plunged into relative darkness and the eye which has adjusted to the brilliance of four lights sees the world as through a glass dimly. Not good on a twisty road, one is apt to wind up in the scenery.

Therefore, unless I could fit dipping lights so as to have, in effect, four headlamps, I wouldn't have supplementary driving lights again.

The advent of HID lights, which are dim-dip, may make this possible although I don't know if there are any period-looking HID standalone spots as yet.

Or HID bulb conversion sets for spots? - a quick rummage online suggests this may be possible.

Ivor

Evening folks,

6500150001_large.jpg

Anyway, looking for peoples opinions..if all else fails I`ll fit the chromed dome bolts to fill the holes, but I notice that Rimmers do a set for the TR6 (Stainless) RX1556.jpgand Im thinking they could be a good 'fit'?

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew: I put these Lucas rectagular lamps on the TR250 some years ago. I selected these because they were very popular in the states in the late 60's. I learned something the hard way that should be mentioned here. That is the original alternators (or generators)and wiring in our cars are generally not up to snuff for this level of additional load. For example, the pathetic unit that came in the "250" , Lucas 15AC, is rated 28 amps. In reality it's really more like 22 - 24 amps and that's at approx. 2500 RPM. So when you slow down, your lamps will really dim. Winter driving with the added load of the heater really brings the old 15AC to its knees.

06030002.jpg

I finally decided to upgrade the alternator and wiring harness. Here's the beasty I'll be adding this winter. The company selling this unit is from California. They dont state the manufacturer although I have heard some say it is a Bosch. What attracted me to this model was the fact that no mounting modifications are necessary. However a new pulley is required.

oldnew.jpg

TR6install.jpg

BNR ebay advert

Edited by angelfj
  • 1 year later...

I have seen on another forum this evening a picture of a TR6 with the spots mounted in the grill. It looked great and have asked the member how he did it. However it was a topic covered last year, I hope he replies. I cannot remember the exact topic, but his name was Mike. I think that it might have been noisy PI pumps.

Andrew: I put these Lucas rectagular lamps on the TR250 some years ago. I selected these because they were very popular in the states in the late 60's. I learned something the hard way that should be mentioned here. That is the original alternators (or generators)and wiring in our cars are generally not up to snuff for this level of additional load. For example, the pathetic unit that came in the "250" , Lucas 15AC, is rated 28 amps. In reality it's really more like 22 - 24 amps and that's at approx. 2500 RPM. So when you slow down, your lamps will really dim. Winter driving with the added load of the heater really brings the old 15AC to its knees.

06030002.jpg

I finally decided to upgrade the alternator and wiring harness. Here's the beasty I'll be adding this winter. The company selling this unit is from California. They dont state the manufacturer although I have heard some say it is a Bosch. What attracted me to this model was the fact that no mounting modifications are necessary. However a new pulley is required.

oldnew.jpg

TR6install.jpg

BNR ebay advert

Hi,

Looks nice but the pulley has a too small diameter (unnecessarily high alternator speed), and a too narrow groove, so that the belt came damaged.

Regards,

Rien