Le Mans 1959

Guest DeBartolomeis

Guest DeBartolomeis

In 1959, Standard Triumph released it's new le mans tr3s. It was called the Tr3S. The S stands for sabrina which was named after its familiar twin cam engine. This Sabrina engine was used in 6 cars. 3 TR3S and 3 TRS. It got its name by the big humps on the front of the engine. The builder of the TR3S named its Sabrina because, the humps on the front reminded him of the breasts of Sabrina (a famous movie star) back in the day. If you could please, fill me in on the rest of the story. ALSO, if you have any pictures can you please share them.

Email me at: u2-declared@hotmail.com

Thanks,

James

In 1959, Standard Triumph released it's new le mans tr3s. It was called the Tr3S. The S stands for sabrina which was named after its familiar twin cam engine. This Sabrina engine was used in 6 cars. 3 TR3S and 3 TRS. It got its name by the big humps on the front of the engine. The builder of the TR3S named its Sabrina because, the humps on the front reminded him of the breasts of Sabrina (a famous movie star) back in the day. If you could please, fill me in on the rest of the story. ALSO, if you have any pictures can you please share them.

Email me at: u2-declared@hotmail.com

Thanks,

James

Most recent history I have read (either Robson or Piggott. I apologize to each gentleman: with my attention deficit disorder, I cannot remember things): the three LeMans cars were shipped to Triumph New York after the LeMans race, to be used in a promotion campaign. Unfortunately, the campaign died on the vine, AND NOBODY KNOWS WHERE THE CARS ARE !!! Just think, they are sitting in some barn or garage somewhere in North America. What an engine!! I have seen that photo of four MG twin-cam engines sitting next to each other: a nice photo, but it would surely be trumped by those three Sabrinas !!!!

Guest DeBartolomeis

Thankfuly they are all restored and i have very few pictures of them today. One of them was raced in 2008 LeMans, and now I think The new 2010 classic LeMans is featuring one of them.

Sorry chaps,

but you're both confused and writing nonsense.

Suggest you read the various Triumph histories written by Bill Piggott and Graham Robson, most of the books from both authors are easily available, before discussing further.

Cheers,

Alec

Guest DeBartolomeis

Sorry chaps,

but you're both confused and writing nonsense.

Suggest you read the various Triumph histories written by Bill Piggott and Graham Robson, most of the books from both authors are easily available, before discussing further.

Cheers,

Alec

I have most of the triumph books and i've read them thoroughly but I am just simply wondering the condition they are in today, and if you have any other pictures of them.

Thanks

James

I have most of the triumph books and i've read them thoroughly but I am just simply wondering the condition they are in today, and if you have any other pictures of them.

I don't have any of my books handy, but the short version is this: the TR3S cars were broken up. The FOUR TRS (1960-61) Le Mans cars all still exist, two of them in the hands of a US collector. If you Google "triumph trs le mans" you'll find information and pictures on the Internet.

Hi James,

Alec is spot on, as you would expect, and the TR3S story is well documented, but by no means a closed book.

To clarify a couple of things, the TR(4)S car at Classic LeMans in 2008 was the Neil Revington prepared replica, minus a Sabrina engine.

Two of the original TRS cars do indeed live in an eastern state of America, along with three Sabrina engines. One car is running, again minus its Sabrina, but a correct engine is being readied.

Regards,

Viv.

Guest DeBartolomeis

Hi James,

Alec is spot on, as you would expect, and the TR3S story is well documented, but by no means a closed book.

To clarify a couple of things, the TR(4)S car at Classic LeMans in 2008 was the Neil Revington prepared replica, minus a Sabrina engine.

Two of the original TRS cars do indeed live in an eastern state of America, along with three Sabrina engines. One car is running, again minus its Sabrina, but a correct engine is being readied.

Regards,

Viv.

There are 3 TRS cars that are running that i can think of. However, 2 of those do run on the sabrina engine. I have pictures of those if you want proof. Paul thanks for your response, if you could forward them that would be great!

email: u2-declared@hotmail.com

Thanks, James

There are 3 TRS cars that are running that i can think of. However, 2 of those do run on the sabrina engine. I have pictures of those if you want proof. Paul thanks for your response, if you could forward them that would be great!

email: u2-declared@hotmail.com

Thanks, James

James

It would cetainly be interesting to have further details of the cars mentioned above that you think are running and yes pictures would be very welcome. Perhaps you could add them to your next post here, if you have difficulties adding them there are many forum members who would help you.

Mike

Guest DeBartolomeis

James

It would cetainly be interesting to have further details of the cars mentioned above that you think are running and yes pictures would be very welcome. Perhaps you could add them to your next post here, if you have difficulties adding them there are many forum members who would help you.

Mike

I am having a bit trouble attaching the photos. Any ideas?

I hav seen a real TRS running at GOODWOOD with the real sabrina engine at least twice ,i beleave it comes from either Holland or Germany

Hi Roy,

that's Mike Otto's car, which he acquired from the collector we were discussing in another thread . . . . Mike and his father restored the TRS to its present condition, incorporating a number of evolutions to what remained of the original Sabrina engine.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Roy,

that's Mike Otto's car, which he acquired from the collector we were discussing in another thread . . . . Mike and his father restored the TRS to its present condition, incorporating a number of evolutions to what remained of the original Sabrina engine.

Cheers,

Alec

Mike Otto also now owns the TRS which for many years languished in the US, thus the four TRS are now in the hands of two owners.

Can anyone help James with posting photos as I don't have any experience of it?

Mike

Hi Roy,

Cheers,

Alec

I visited Mike and his father just before the restored body was put back on the chassis. I took loads of photos and one even showed the original chalk mark on the chassis put there by the factory. I believe the car had only done 10,000 miles since it was built and that before coming back to the UK it had resided in the state of Florida.

I gave the photos to Bill Piggot to put in the TR Register archive and copies were given to both Neil Revington and Paul Hogen I do not retain keepsakes so I do not have any myself.

The engine would not run properly on the twin SU's so they fitted Webers along with new crankshaft, liners and pistons.

Whilst the fake one was running round Le Mans in 2008 Mikes was winning the concours behind the pits!

TR,

John

I am having a bit trouble attaching the photos. Any ideas?

I've pinched this from an earlier post and lost the author's name (sorry) - think it was JohnR. Until I read this I was using the forum 500K limit which meant deleting everything every second day.

"Hi John,

One way is the following. Look at this site, its free http://photobucket.com/

Set up an account.

Then you can upload pictures from your Pc to it.

You will see them displayed, then just press copy with your mouse on the IMG code.

Then once you are ready to put photo in your post , use your mouse and press paste, a code will appeasr in your post.

Once post is on forum photo will be there.

Any difficulties let me know i will try and explain better."

Edited by littlejim

Hi John,

I'd suggest "the fake one" is a bit strong as a description for the Revington TRS . . . after all, to the best of my knowledge neither Neil nor Paul have described it as a replica or recreation or reincarnation. More along the lines of an external lookalike inspired by, that sort of thing.

Many's the time I've heard Neil explaining to TR owners the host of differences between the car and a real Triumph TR4S, cheerfully pointing out that it's a long way from the real thing and not intended to be a clone. That's a darn sight more reasonable approach than many a classic racer I could name. There's nothing wrong with a 'special' built in the spirit of . . . . it's the blokes with fraud clones claiming to be the real deal that get my goat.

Cheers,

Alec

James,

Attached image is a part view of a factory photograph of one of the TR3S taken on the 11th June 1959. I also have quite a few images of Mike Ottos TRS taken at the 2004 International.

cheers

Derek

33534part.jpg