Buying a TR4 for restoration...

Hi there, just joined the Forum to see what other poor souls are getting up to with renovating TRs'. I have a really sad state TR4a & interested in how to get going. It's got a lot going for it with Surrey top, wires, running engine, o'drive box & (best of all) light blue under the rotten black respray!!

My main concerns are,(a) do I go for the best quality build & attract a decent price should I decide to sell-not that I want to as I've always wanted a blue TR4a, or (B) a really good build incorporating as many handling mods as possible to enjoy the roads where I live, which are about the best I've been on in Europe?

As I guess you're thinking on similar lines what are your thoughts?

Hi, sounds like you’ve got your work cut out as well but at least your runs!

The spec sounds good and similar to mine – a safe bet when it comes to selling! On this front I personally would go for good quality factory spec rebuild as this will attract most potential buyers. If you want driving experience then buy a modern car :P . Just to make it clear though, I'm not doing this for money - I love working on cars and the TR4 is probably one of the best practical classics - it looks great and is a good investment.

Will we be seeing any photos?

I can see that you've painted the engine already, having just got the last, stubborn, liner removed.

Clearly, this isn't going to be a restoration taking many years to complete.

However, I would urge you to send the block somewhere and have it immersed in a vat of something seriously unpleasant in order to remove ALL of the accumulated crud in all areas, visible and hidden.

Once you get it back and rebuild it, it will be a far better end result.

David

It's a sensible suggestion! I did pour several litres of white spirits through boths sides as well as well as spending several hours chipping away at the internal rust + a bit of paint stripping. Not as good as submersing but I have a schedule...

Err what happened to the front panel? It is supposed to be welded on which does tend to make a mess of fresh paint ;)

Stuart

Randall,

You could go the whole hog and make a flip up front like a herald ;) Seriously you are right it is a bit strange that the factory did not make the front panel "Bolt on" like a TR3A would have made life a whole lot easier

Cheers

Alan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...