Here is a Salvador Blue TR3. Many say Salvador and Winchester are the same. I also heard that Wedgewood might also the same. This blue was used on later TR3s and few very early TR3As. To me the colour chips above are very close as shown, but the colour is not the colour that was used on the TRs. Maybe these colour chips have faded with time or it was hard to capture the true blue colour.

Hi Don,

Salvador and Winchester are most definitely not the same shade.

Salvador Blue was the earlier colour, and the lighter shade, superceded by the darker Winchester Blue. The difference in reality is rather greater than that shown on the paint chips illustrated - but then paint chips can and do alter with time.

Wedgwood Blue (no 'e'!) is another kettle of fish entirely.

Cheers,

Alec

Here is a Salvador Blue TR3. Many say Salvador and Winchester are the same.

I also heard that Wedgewood might also the same. This blue was used on later TR3s

and few very early TR3As. To me the colour chips above are very close as shown,

but the colour is not the colour that was used on the TRs.

Maybe these colour chips have faded with time or it was hard to capture the true blue colour.

Looking at the only colour chips, I wouldn't choose either for

any TR of mine.

BUT - having seen a TR3 in Winchester Blue at IWE, it looked

gorgeous.

Winchester and Salvador are, I believe, very close, but both

completely different from Powder Blue.

Go by Don's photo - that's how it really looks.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Looking at the only colour chips, I wouldn't choose either for

any TR of mine.

AlanR

Alan-

Definitely agree with you, as I think that is the main problem with choosing a colour from a small chip - and also the problem with taking a photograph of a small chip. Seeing a car in person, or at least photographs of a car is a lot better way to judge how much you like the colour. The main utility of the chips is comparison as well as the occasional purchase at the paint shop.

Randy

My Avatar is a Salvador Blue (Only used for 6 months of 1956) which roughly equates to Squadron blue (Jaguar) and believe it or not I notice that the new BMW minis are available in a shade of blue virtually identical to Salvador although I dont know what they call it. Winchester is definitely darker although still a very good "period" colour. Powder blue as per the "works" TR4s is much lighter and wedgwood is a purpleish blue.

Stuart.

Hi. Can anyone tell me about the Winchester Blue colour. Is it a light blue or dark blue and what would be the closest modern colour to this.

Regards

Brian

ditzlerautopaint.com has always been a good source of paint colors. On their home page, at the top right, they have a "100 Years of Paint Chips" link. Unfortunately, that link does not respond, and I don't know how long it is out of commission. Try it periodically, and see if you can get thru.

I also tried various Ditzler Paint Code sites, but none lists Winchester Blue. If you can find the old Ditzler Number, PPG will probably be able to match it to the current Winchester Blue.

Good luck - paint colors are quite a frustrating search. I'll keep on trying, from this side of the pond.

And I neglected to add the actual information on the paint chip, the paint codes. Here is what is listed for Winchester, perhaps this can be cross referenced to a modern equivalent:

Berger 4D.1350

Docker CHB.5

Glasso 18352

ICI 2922

Cheers,

Randy

And I neglected to add the actual information on the paint chip, the paint codes. Here is what is listed for Winchester, perhaps this can be cross referenced to a modern equivalent:

Berger 4D.1350

Docker CHB.5

Glasso 18352

ICI 2922

Cheers,

Randy

My paint code sheet has the following:

1. Salvador Blue = Dockers BF5323 or ICI-2759

2. Winchester Blue = Dockers BF5944 or ICI-2922

Rgds Ian

ditzlerautopaint.com has always been a good source of paint colors. On their home page, at the top right, they have a "100 Years of Paint Chips" link. Unfortunately, that link does not respond, and I don't know how long it is out of commission. Try it periodically, and see if you can get thru....

Digging around the Ditzler site, I had the same problem on the home page but tried the same link on another page and got:

autocolorlibrary.com

Talking of which...when is this car (not the avatar) going to be revealed to the World?

Long story Brian and known to some of our members :angry: Some pictures of her.

picture.jpg

Image006.jpg

lastscan.jpg

The car is alive and well and performing "other duties" <_<

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

A beautiful car in a very rare colour (my favourite after almost any standard shade of green wink.gif ) - and doubtless all your own work.

Most certainly was! Virtually nut and bolt ground up and fully documented with bare metal cellulose paintwork in 2003.

Stuart.

Hi Don,

colour photography is an inaccurate art, not a science ! ;)

I can recall seeing original Salvador and Winchester Blue cars side by side back in the 70s - the colour difference isn't one shade, it's about three. But even when you photograph the two colours together, the difference is less to the camera than to the Mk 1 eyeball.

More recently I've seen supposed Salvador and Winchester Blue cars together - modern resprays, and no doubt different paint formulations. The two colours were much closer than I recall them from my relative youth - when I liked Winchester, and not Salvador !

Cheers,

Alec

Photos taken in different locations and/or light conditions or even in different directions can dramatically alter the colour (as in the first pair of Stuart's photos). I wonder if the car in Don's photo is actually meant to be Ice Blue (see registration plate).

Colour matching for resprays rarely produces the exact original shade and after 40-50 years, even matching to a hidden patch of the original bodywork probably isn't 100% reliable. I also wonder if the scientific mixing to original formulation is 100% accurate, given the different components (pigments and chemicals) used in modern paints.

The only way to get an accurate match is to find an original unfaded section of paint (say under one of the cockpit cappings) and then get it spectrum analysed by your paint factors. This will give the best match possible even allowing for modern pigments/tinters. FWIW The first of my pictures has been photoshopped and the second was taken on a camera phone and the other montage was done through a scanned set of glossy photos as at the time I didnt have a digital camera hence the differences (The camera can lie ;) )

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Here is a Winchester Blue TR2. I can't see much difference between this and the Salvador Blue TR3s above.

Don-

The age of the paint chips aside, there is a difference - but I can easily see how it would be difficult to discern without getting two cars side by side. It looks to me that Salvador has a very slight greenish tint to the colour which Winchester doesn't have. But I respectfully disagree with you if you are suggesting that it is just a renamed colour - multiple paint companies carried separate paint codes for the two variants.

Regards,

Randy

Hi

Worth a talk to Steve Hall at TR Enterprises as he has just (last year) completed one of the Works 'SRW' TR3's, which I believe is Salvador Blue. Raced at Silverstone this year for those that saw it.

As far as Im aware its done in a modern paint formulation which im sure TR Enterprises could share with others.

Regards

Tony