Hi

I have found the following information for Winchester Blue in a 1957 Standard Triumph ICI Paints colour swatch set

Winchester Blue P030-2922

Formula on rear of swatch as follows:

White .............. P030-9929.... 59%

Black .............. P030-9901.... 28%

Permanent Blue.............. P030-9904.... 9%

Blue Lake .............. P030-9930.... 4%

I hope the above formula can be useful, as I am currently restoring an '57 TR3 originally finished in Winchester Blue.

Kind regards

Andrew

Edited by brydon

Thanks Andrew

I had been to the paint shop today(before I was your message) and they were helpful but were not able to locate a colour. The reason being that the cars were imported to New Zealand made up so no paint codes supplied.Don't know what they did if someone needed reapirs done. Some years ago ICI were purchased by PPG and most formulas disappeared with only the more popular continued in some form.

The furtherest they could go back was to the 70's.

They suggested getting a sample to match by eye but that is not possible as I am changing the colour completely from the original colour of white. I have a dislike for white due to all the Japanese imports we have here in that colour.

I will take the formula back to the shop and see if they are able to make it from that.

Thanks again and to all those who have replied

Brian

Hi guys, having painted a salvador tr3 and a winchester tr3 this past year i can comfirm that the winchester is a darker blue

i had the colours formulated into waterbourne base coat so the colour can be mixed again and again

if pictures are needed i think we took pictures of both cars together so you can see the difference

Hi guys, having painted a salvador tr3 and a winchester tr3 this past year i can comfirm that the winchester is a darker blue

i had the colours formulated into waterbourne base coat so the colour can be mixed again and again

if pictures are needed i think we took pictures of both cars together so you can see the difference

Sorry for the delay but here is a pic of each colour

Winchester blue.......

skv656.jpg

Salvador blue............

srw992.jpg

hope this helps

tom

• 10 years later...
On 12/21/2009 at 4:26 PM, stuart said:

My Avatar is a Salvador Blue (Only used for 6 months of 1956) which roughly equates to Squadron blue (Jaguar) and believe it or not I notice that the new BMW minis are available in a shade of blue virtually identical to Salvador although I dont know what they call it. Winchester is definitely darker although still a very good "period" colour. Powder blue as per the "works" TR4s is much lighter and wedgwood is a purpleish blue.

Stuart.

1956? But Stuart, TS 9204, assembled on 14 November 1955, is specified as Salvador Blue.

On 4/18/2020 at 11:53 PM, DavidBee said:

1956? But Stuart, TS 9204, assembled on 14 November 1955, is specified as Salvador Blue.

Dont forget back then the factory would paint your car any colour you like.Salvador blue was "Catalogued" from October 1955 to September 1956 in total but in practice wasnt used for that long.

Stuart.

3 minutes ago, stuart said:

Dont forget back then the factory would paint your car any colour you like.Salvador blue was "Catalogued" from October 1955 to September 1956 in total but in practice wasnt used for that long.

Stuart.

Very interesting. I like it. I also like other blues Standard Triumph had on offer. It all depends on the combination with the upholstery. Some are very subtle colour ways.

By the way, I resurrected an old post of yours from 2008 about KST 277, the blue TR3. I wondered if you knew anything more.

The restorer, Mark Mason, is, so I was told in February a close friend of John Sykes and obtained parts at cost price. Mason himself owned the car for a long time. At least since 98, for a fact. So the restoration was earlier still and mileage pre-restoration engine was 88,000 plus miles. But not a member of the Register. He reputedly also restored a TR4, described as a Concours level, within the TR Register, an award-winning restoration. You probably can add nothing more, but no harm in asking, and thanks in advance. 

Not a clue, I talked to John at the time about it as I had a customer looking for a similar spec car but I think it sold very quickly and my customer bought a TR4 instead.

Stuart.

30 minutes ago, stuart said:

Not a clue, I talked to John at the time about it as I had a customer looking for a similar spec car but I think it sold very quickly and my customer bought a TR4 instead.

Stuart.

Well, thanks anyway, and for all the advice generously given here. Really appreciated.