Hi again,

When we took delivery of the car there was no vacuum pipe connected to the distributor and there appears to be no obvious open hole on the manifold where the other end might fit. However, whilst idly flicking through the Moss catalogue I saw that they list a vacuum pipe for the 3a. The distributor has a connection point and there are blanked off holes in the manifold so can anyone shed light on why there is not one fitted and if it should be there I would appreciate some pictures of correct fitment and routing please.

Many thanks,

Ian

Hi again,

When we took delivery of the car there was no vacuum pipe connected to the distributor and there appears to be no obvious open hole on the manifold where the other end might fit. However, whilst idly flicking through the Moss catalogue I saw that they list a vacuum pipe for the 3a. The distributor has a connection point and there are blanked off holes in the manifold so can anyone shed light on why there is not one fitted and if it should be there I would appreciate some pictures of correct fitment and routing please.

Many thanks,

Ian

It's common, even usual, for modified engines to have a custom setup

for the distributor, different weights for advance/retard and dispensing

with the vacuum advance/retard.

Do you know if your engine is modified?

AlanR

Hi Alan,

Bog standard engine, just been rebuilt with oil seal mod and unleaded head. Car runs HS6 carbs, standard distributor and, as far as I know, the standard cam too.

Thanks,

Ian

Hi Alan,

Bog standard engine, just been rebuilt with oil seal mod and unleaded head. Car runs HS6 carbs, standard distributor and, as far as I know, the standard cam too.

Thanks,

Ian

There should be a small stub on the front carb for the vacuum take off for the dizzy just down stream of the butterflies.

Stuart.

Ian,

The vacuum pipe connects to a small pipe which projects upwards from the body of the front carb, adjacent to the front fixing bolt.

The pipe itself runs round the front of the engine under the thermostat housing where it is clipped, the petrol pipe is fitted into the same clip.

I have send you an e-mail with a couple of photos.

Regards, Richard

i think a bog standard engine would have h6 rather than hs6 carbs.

my h6 setup has the stub under the front carb as stuart describes, and is illustrated in the moss catalogue, but i can't see any reference to it on the hs6 page in the same catalogue.

is it the same on the "s" carbs?

alan

i think a bog standard engine would have h6 rather than hs6 carbs.

my h6 setup has the stub under the front carb as stuart describes, and is illustrated in the moss catalogue, but i can't see any reference to it on the hs6 page in the same catalogue.

is it the same on the "s" carbs?

alan

DOH! H6 they are. No idea why I types the 'S'

Thanks

PS. What is the ID of the vacuum pipe please? I might as well get a length to take this weekend and I have a chance to pop out to Halfords on Friday. Cheers!

Edited by boggie

I made a new pipe out of a small stainless steel tube. On my early 1958 TR3A, this pipe goes from the center of the fitting for the vacuum advance on the front end of my distributor around the front of the thermostat housing and screws into the bottom of carb #1. If you find no threaded hole on the bottom of carb #1 as Stuart suggests, it may be on carb #2. This would indicate that someone has swopped the carbs at some time. Don't just change the body. Take the whole carb and keep all the mated parts for each carb together.

Hi Ian,

The original vacuum tube was 1/8" O/D.

Earlier cars had screw on fittings under the front carbie as Don said, and on the vacuum canister. The vacuum pipe had an olive each end with a nut behind it. The fittings under the front carbie were prone to leaking air.

Later cars had plain 1/8" tube with a piece of rubber hose at the dizzy end, and a right angled rubber connector at the carbie end, for a push on connection.

Regards,

Viv.

I made a new pipe out of a small stainless steel tube. On my early 1958 TR3A, this pipe goes from the center of the fitting for the vacuum advance on the front end of my distributor around the front of the thermostat housing and screws into the bottom of carb #1. If you find no threaded hole on the bottom of carb #1 as Stuart suggests, it may be on carb #2. This would indicate that someone has swopped the carbs at some time. Don't just change the body. Take the whole carb and keep all the mated parts for each carb together.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....ost&id=4827

Don

You might want to take the spanner off of the thermostat housing it might lose some points in the next concourse judging :lol:;)

Cheers

alan

Don

You might want to take the spanner off of the thermostat housing it might lose some points in the next concourse judging :lol:;)

Cheers

alan

Thanks Guys,

I will investigate what type we need at the weekend, being post TS60000 I would imaging the push fits you mention Viv.

Ian

I will investigate what type we need at the weekend, being post TS60000 I would imaging the push fits you mention Viv.

My 1960 TR3A TS78xxx has original (rebuilt) H6 carbs with screw-in connector under front carb.