Help identifying Loom Binding type

Hi All,

I am getting conflicting answers to the quetion of what type of loom our car should have. It is a 1960, post TS60000 TR3a. Moss list it as PVC but Autosparks say it should be cloth. The loom currently in the car has been recovered at some time in the past with PVC adhesive tape but there is some evidence of (rotten) cloth wrapped inside one of the engine bay runs.

Can anyone give me a definative answer?

Thanks,

Ian

Not a definitive answer, but my 1962 TR3A (TS78xxx) had a tatty and much modified cloth loom in an advanced state of decay. Not sure what it has now that the car has been rebuilt as it's not an area I'm interested in for originality, but I think it's PVC.

Moss list it as PVC but Autosparks say it should be cloth.

Depends if you want to use it (PVC) or polish it (cloth).

Cloth was used when it was used because that's what there was, but as the past owner of several cars with cloth-loomed decrepitude, I can say that it's a pain to keep clean and impossible to alter without spoiling it. :mellow:

So, imho... well, you've probably guessed. :P

Ivor

Ian

My LHD 3A project in the garage with a dispatch date of 28 July 1961 comission 78xxx has a cloth loom which is the original. The car has been in a barn since 1973. Use whatever is easiest for you and cheapist unless you are planning to build the car into a concourse contender.

Cheers

Alan

My 1958 TR3A came with a black cotton cloth covering when new in 1958. In 1990 as I was finishing my restoration (at 80,250 miles), I repaired the cotton covering where it was a bit ragged by winding black sewing thread (many many turns) around those areas. In concours events, it was accepted without loss of points for about 15 years (another 80,000 miles), then it started to look ragged again. So in 2007, I sent it off and had a new black cotton woven covering put on it. It looks new again.

Hi All,

I am getting conflicting answers to the quetion of what type of loom our car should have. It is a 1960, post TS60000 TR3a. Moss list it as PVC but Autosparks say it should be cloth. The loom currently in the car has been recovered at some time in the past with PVC adhesive tape but there is some evidence of (rotten) cloth wrapped inside one of the engine bay runs.

Can anyone give me a definative answer?

Thanks,

Ian

Ian: I have no doubt that you should have vinyl insulated wires covered with vinyl tape and all Lucar push-on connectors.

Here is an exerpt from the official judging guide of the Triumph Register of America.

"Wiring Harness. The main wiring harness was wrapped with black cloth. On early models connections to

components were with screws and wires were wrapped with lacquered cloth insulation. Later harnesses (post TS60000) were insulated with vinyl (wire and outer wrapping) and connections were made with spade and bullet connectors."

Edited by angelfj

I think that originals are cloth covered as per earlier cars until the stock ran out as there are quite a few post 60000 cars with original cloth looms and although it may be documented as from 60000 on for PVC I doubt the factory would have just shoved all the old cloth ones out at the change point unless all the rest went for export ;)

Stuart

I doubt the factory would have just shoved all the old cloth ones out

at the change point unless all the rest went for export ;)

Stuart

If there was a modification on safety grounds, the factory would

likely bin the old stock.

If the change was for cost reasons, then for sure old stock was

used up.

The Engineering Changes records usually show the change point,

often with a later handwritten note as to the change point if existing

stocks were to be used up.

AlanR