Which front spots round or square ??

Hello All,

Hoping for a bit of advice. I am wanting to fit a pair of front spots to my 1971 TR6. My question is what was the original spec (if at all) fitted to the 6 as an optional extra ? Round or Square spots ? Did any TR6s race in professional rallies ? if so what spots did they have ? final question I saw once on fleabay a spot mounting rail for the 6 which is mounted where the front bumper should go. Are these still made ? where can you get them from ?

with thanks

jeremy

Hi Jeremy.

If your car is original and standard and not messed with ;):P

In my opinion "ive got them so I am biass" :P

By far THE best looking spotlights you can fit would be the full chrome Lucas square 8's!

Anything mounted above the bumper stands a chance of fouling!

They look right,nicely spaced apart,either side of the numberplate below the bumper!!

No holes to drill,its easy to make some s/s mounts that utilise the bumper mounting bolt to fit them to!

Dave

IMAG0037.jpg

maybe we should start a poll? I like the round ones, but as usual: some love the mother, some the daughter

I like the square lucass ones

difficult to get hold of nice original ones,

however there is a company that is making re pro stainless steel

as for the mother and daughter love both of them them at the same time :lol:

pinky

I think round lamps look better on the Michelotti bodies, square lamps look better on the Karmann bodies.

DSC_0007.jpg

I agree Stan what is above the bumper ie red attached to the front apron above the light's, and is that a drip tray I see ;)

Neil

I agree Stan what is above the bumper ie red attached to the front apron above the light's, and is that a drip tray I see ;)

Neil

Neil, you are one sharp eyed dude.

There is indeed a plastic drip tray under the engine. This was last summer just after I re-installed the engine and after fixing the failed oil pump found that I had oil p*****g out between the front plate and the block and had to strip it back and put in a new gasket and more gasket goop. To be honest I still have the odd drip from the rear of the engine and another from the bottom of the OD so I do have a couple of these trays on the garage floor as insurance.

I'm not sure what you are pointing at re something red above the lights. This is a bog standard federal 1974.5 TR6 front end other than the foglamps so there is nothing unusual as far as I know. Perhaps thats what you are taking exception to, it bugs me sometimes also but dont get me started on that.

Stan

Neil, you are one sharp eyed dude.

There is indeed a plastic drip tray under the engine. This was last summer just after I re-installed the engine and after fixing the failed oil pump found that I had oil p*****g out between the front plate and the block and had to strip it back and put in a new gasket and more gasket goop. To be honest I still have the odd drip from the rear of the engine and another from the bottom of the OD so I do have a couple of these trays on the garage floor as insurance.

I'm not sure what you are pointing at re something red above the lights. This is a bog standard federal 1974.5 TR6 front end other than the foglamps so there is nothing unusual as far as I know. Perhaps thats what you are taking exception to, it bugs me sometimes also but dont get me started on that.

Stan

Hi Stan

That is very interesting I re-imported a 73 Tr6 from the USA some 10 years ago with big over rider's on the front bumper the front apron was flat maybe a one off ?

Hi neil/stan

What looks like red above the bumper is actually just a reflection of the chrome bumper mount!

You can just see the reflection of the rivets in the paint as well! ;)

Looking at the bumper it does look a little out of alignement as well! ;)

Too high on the,d/s or too low on the p/s!!

As you can see the gap in the front panel!!

Little oil drips are part of a healthy used car IMHO! :P

Edited by PILKIE
Hi neil/stan

What looks like red above the bumper is actually just a reflection of the chrome bumper mount!

You can just see the reflection of the rivets in the paint as well! ;)

Looking at the bumper it does look a little out of alignement as well! ;)

Too high on the,d/s or too low on the p/s!!

As you can see the gap in the front panel!!

Little oil drips are part of a healthy used car IMHO! :P

Ok, I see what you are looking at, yes, that is just the reflection, the front valence does not have projections sticking out. Also I lied about the standard front, it has of course had a bumperette-ectomy as in addition to the stupid look, I was fed up with banging my knee on them when walking around the car. Also.. it has the earlier enameled TR6 badge and not the cheap sticker version. But other than that and the modified suspension, wheels, seats, engine, brakes, tranny etc its a bog standard 1974.5 Federal TR6 :-)

I also see what you mean about the bumper alignment, I'll have to have a look at that..

Stan

Ok, I see what you are looking at, yes, that is just the reflection, the front valence does not have projections sticking out. Also I lied about the standard front, it has of course had a bumperette-ectomy as in addition to the stupid look, I was fed up with banging my knee on them when walking around the car. Also.. it has the earlier enameled TR6 badge and not the cheap sticker version. But other than that and the modified suspension, wheels, seats, engine, brakes, tranny etc its a bog standard 1974.5 Federal TR6 :-)

I also see what you mean about the bumper alignment, I'll have to have a look at that..

Stan

Ok Stan now all we need do is sort out the bonnet to wing gaps ;)

Neil

Ok Stan now all we need do is sort out the bonnet to wing gaps ;)

Neil

I fixed the bonnet too since that picture. It was a the victim of a rush job so I could get it inspected before the sticker expired last June.

ok, so I'm going back to small grainy pictures in future :-)

Back to the lamps.. when I was researching this I went around all of the common TR web sites, used the Google image search etc and tried to get a look at as many different styles and installations as I could find. I made the brackets out of steel angle and sprayed them with chrome paint (which is surprisingly good). The brackets attach via the bumper bolts. Because these are fog lamps they are low and pushed out to the edge. There is an illuminated switch under the dash that operates the lamps via a relay. There is a bank of three relays (fog, main, low) plus an aux fuse panel high up in the passenger footwell. The lamps are period Cibie's with new replacement covers and they are great for night driving in poor weather where the TR6 lamps and wipers struggle to keep up.

Stan

Hi Jeremy,

reverting to one of your original questions . . . .

the TR6 did not have any serious rally participation, it was a decade out of the ballpark. A few of us had a bit of fun in low-level club rallying, but you have to bear in mind that the TR6 was a dinosaur. And then some.

A TR6 was only a TR4 with IRS and a slightly bigger engine. The TR4 was obsolete before its rallying career even began, it did well only as a result of the determined efforts of talented drivers, engineers and mechanics. It should have been history.

TRs still do well in historic rallying today, but that's a reflection of money and rule bending - that's how you rewrite history.

But good fun, nevertheless. ;)

So you can do what you like as regards TR6 lights - it's all mystery and imagination !! :D

Cheers,

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

Funnily enough I prefer the round style of lamps , I think they look more purposeful. FWIW I have a pair of rectangular underslung Cibies if anyone is interested , they do need replating but no dents, good silvering and lenses. Very "period".

Stuart.