Earckens

If I was you I'd try and get a bit more clearance between the Battery Clamp and the Terminals?!!

Shorting out is a real possibility? :o

Thank you for that very important hint!! I had not realised I had been courting disaster; due to some fluke I did connect the positive first and only then the negative. If I had done otherwise I surely would have had major fireworks.

Next time (5+ years?) it will be a battery with opposite poles.

This time I will be looking for and installing a decent fireproof electrical insulation for the retainer bar near the + pole.

I have a similar replacement battery to Earckens in my 4A. As Gary points out the terminals are very close to the clamp and this concerned me too so I simply cut a suitable piece of inner tube and trapped this round the clamp near the +ve (live on 4A) terminal to prevent any inadvertent contact.

Tim

Very good idea. Just this: is inner tube not prone to melting or insufficently heatresistant?

Edited by earckens

I suspect there are a few others who have had similar problems with replacement batteries. I still have a retaining bar from my TR4A with cut-outs and a selection of J-clamps of various sizes. It's not easy to get the best power specification with the terminals in the right orientation. I opted for a Yuasa Silver a few years ago and the terminals are at the front when fitted, so I insulate the retaining bar with tape or a rubber seal. Currently (no pun intended!), I use a plastic spine bar left over from binding small reports. Something like this (but available in most office stationery cupboards!):
http://www.durable-uk.com/filing-and-organisation/files-and-folders/spine-bars-report-covers/spine-bars-a4-3mm.html

I suspect there are a few others who have had similar problems with replacement batteries. I still have a retaining bar from my TR4A with cut-outs and a selection of J-clamps of various sizes. It's not easy to get the best power specification with the terminals in the right orientation. I opted for a Yuasa Silver a few years ago and the terminals are at the front when fitted, so I insulate the retaining bar with tape or a rubber seal. Currently (no pun intended!), I use a plastic spine bar left over from binding small reports. Something like this (but available in most office stationery cupboards!):

http://www.durable-uk.com/filing-and-organisation/files-and-folders/spine-bars-report-covers/spine-bars-a4-3mm.html

Something is wrong with your link; can you plse repost it?

Something is wrong with your link; can you plse repost it?

The quote is an extract from something I wrote in the Lea Valley Group newsletter 'TRunnion'. and the link was to a supplier website which has obviously been changed since.

Just Google 'plastic spine bars' and you should find similar items if you can't scrounge one from work!

No problem with durability of the inner tube Earckens, I have been using the same piece for many years with no signs of degradation/softening.

Tim

If you fit a battery isolator in the cable from the battery to earth (chassis & bodywork), and remember to use it whenever the car is left in the garage, you will avoid causing a flash over when the spanner on the "live" terminal touches the bodywork, and any leaky item of electronic kit won't flatten the battery.

I don't bother with a clever trickle charger, and the Kwik-Fit battery, even when it was 12 years old, never seemed to lose charge over a month of idleness. The battery died in 2015, when 13 years old and I decided that I would not be able to claim against its 4-year guarantee, so, on Roger's recommendation, I purchased from Halfords. At £75 with a 3-year guarantee, it struck me as good value.

And when the battery in my Citroen C5 diesel died (also in 2015), the replacement came from Halfords, too. That's a Yuasa with a 5-year guarantee (£105) plus £10 for fitting because, on modern cars, one has to maintain power to all the electrickery so as not to cause major problems.

Ian Cornish

If you fit a battery isolator in the cable from the battery to earth (chassis & bodywork), and remember to use it whenever the car is left in the garage, you will avoid causing a flash over when the spanner on the "live" terminal touches the bodywork, and any leaky item of electronic kit won't flatten the battery.

Ian Cornish

How I had not thought about that one: there is such an isolator in my car :rolleyes:

Just tonight we got a visit from a friend/electrician to whom I talked about this issue: he has electrical shrink tubing that will fit over the L-profile. This is material to insulate electrical conductors in tough conditions; we will fit it over the L-profile of the retainer and use a hot-air blower to get it to shrink over its target.

Edited by earckens
  • 7 months later...

Attempt at taking the 4 out for a good blast in the rather beautiful autumn afternoon today was scuppered by a dead battery :(

Anyone aware of any good offers on 072/069’s anywhere before I grab one from Halfords (with trade card) ??

Thanks..... Andy

You'll find the Halfords Trade card pricing (especially on batteries) hard to beat.

There's always a desperation sale from some of the on line retailers Eurocarparts or others that may give a battery for a cheap price but if you are going for a named make the Halfords offerings are so tempting. Break down with a battery problem in the UK and they'll supply another from a local outlet as long as you can prove you're inside it's warranty (receipt in wallet etc or confirming e mail if done on line (my choice, no paperwork and always available via the smartphone).

Mick Richards

Thanks Mick, yes, that’s where I’ll be heading unless someone knows of a mega-deal ..... the pretty-much no quibble approach Is always worth taking into account.

Cheers... Andy

Further to my post #33, when my Citroen C5 diesel's battery voltage fell to 4.5V in May, a trickle charge for 36 hours restored it. However, the same thing happened in mid-July. Once I had recharged it, I went straight to Halfords where a techie checked it, agreed it was faulty and fitted another brand new Yuasa immediately. The 5-year guarantee on this replacement runs from the date of the original, so until March 2020. I'm glad I purchased from Halfords as there was no quibble whatsoever.

My TR4 has a Halfords HB096, 640CCA, 70Ah battery with 3 year guarantee, fitted in June 2015.

Ian Cornish

Andy - my TR4 has an alternator and is negative earth. I have the battery terminals nearest the bulkhead, with the negative being on the right looking from the front of the car towards the bulkhead. Make sure that you get the correct arrangement to suit your car as the HB096 which I have installed has the arrangement which I have described.

Ian Cornish

Because of the Spider Veloce in the family, I am also a member of the Alf Romeo Owner's club. They have a lot of of deals with suppliers for just being a member and I get a 10% discount on all items at Halfords. Does the TR register have similar arrangements?

Simon

Not as far as I know.

You may find that the Alfa Romeo club were able to swing the "we are a club with models currently in production" and owned by a large scale manufacturer (Fiat), where it would strongly be in Halfords own best interests to acknowledge this and award a discount structure to encourage continued patronage card.

Wheras the TR Register is a club of enthusiasts (even if not the largest club, amongst the largest clubs) for a long dead range of cars whose badge and identity is owned by BMW who has never shown an interest in identifying with the marques past heritage (no money to be made there) and with no future interest in establishing a discount structure for 6000 + members whose motoring interests in the main are not those of BMW. Not an easy sell for a car club to have Halfords adopt.

It may be there an approach could be made (subject to club inspection and approval) to any or many of the mainly on line retailers for a discount structure (for example Eurocarparts mentioned previously) if a case could be made for it.

Mick Richards

I would have thought owners of classic Triumphs are more likely to pop to Halfords for their oily and greasy bits than modern Alfas owners and I suspect there are many more Classic TR's on the road than classic Alfas. It may be worth approaching the relevant committee members. It only takes them a few minutes to e-mail a few suppliers. I bet we all spend a couple of hundred a year on oil, grease, anti freeze etc and the odd tool so 10% off is a nice round in the pub.

"It may be worth approaching the relevant committee members. It only takes them a few minutes to e-mail a few suppliers"

We'll wait and see how that is progressed, give it a go and suggest it to the relevant committee members, let us know how you get on.

Mick Richards

( I have a Halfords Trade card and use it quite a bit).

You'll find the Halfords Trade card pricing (especially on batteries) hard to beat.

There's always a desperation sale from some of the on line retailers Eurocarparts or others that may give a battery for a cheap price but if you are going for a named make the Halfords offerings are so tempting. Break down with a battery problem in the UK and they'll supply another from a local outlet as long as you can prove you're inside it's warranty (receipt in wallet etc or confirming e mail if done on line (my choice, no paperwork and always available via the smartphone).

Mick Richards

A useful tip I was given some time ago - seal the receipt for the battery in a ziploc or similar freezer bag, and tuck it between the battery and the bulkhead.

Pete

A useful tip I was given some time ago - seal the receipt for the battery in a ziploc or similar freezer bag, and tuck it between the battery and the bulkhead.

Pete

An even better tip, photocopy the receipt and put that in the ziplock before it degrades and returns to a blank slip of paper as they tend to. I've just cleansed wallet and there are three slips which I've saved for some purpose but are now totally unreadable as they evaporate. Hence my preference of using my smartphone e mail archive where the purchase confirmations reside, they are still there in 5 years time.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

An issue not discussed in this thread is whether you go for a modern and thus lighter weight battery or if you maintain that classic look by fitting a large black battery. The latter is likely to be many pounds heavier. As many of our cars are owned by those of advancing years, the big black battery will help in maintaining our regular medical visits for treatment of hernias, bad backs etc.

Batteries probably have an easier time here in Oz as we do not get the really cold temperatures experienced in the Old Country. I have an ND alternator from Cambridge Motorsport on the 4A and have been able to go to a lighter modern battery without any problems as well as taking about 20lbs of ugly fat from the car. (Easier than taking the same off the owner).

The other advantage is a slight reduction in the pendulum effect of scuttle shake caused by having a heavy weight mounted just under the base of the windscreen.

Good point about fading Mick, but your faith in smartphones is touching... do you have a cloud backup?

Pete

Yes.

Mick Richards

I was all set to get a 072 from Halfords tomorrow, but while in Costco this afternoon spotted they were selling Bosch S4 027’s for £77.99..... with the five year no-messing Costco guarantee that felt better value.

Worth remembering if you are a Costco member.

...... Andy