Hi Folks,

I'm finding it hard to obtain decent bezels from the main suppliers.

So I have made  some to see what turns out.

The attached pics are an original bezel and one that I made this morning.

What are your views. Is it too angular compared to the original slightly curved version.

Roger

P1070465a.jpg

P1070466a.jpg

Looking good but yes you need a gentle curve all the way from back to front to be the same as original.There are different thread sizes for the various uses of them are you going to do all versions?

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

Yes, I agree with you.  It is quite difficult to turn that curve on what was a cast item.  But not impossible

The majority are 9/16 x 24tpi (special)

The rheostat is 9/16 x 28tpi (special)

Heater fan 3/8  x 24

and the TR4A has a few odd ones compared to the TR4 but the base shape is of only two sizes

And they will be chromed.

6 hours ago, silverfox4 said:

Those look great Roger, just need edge "softened" a tad as Stuart notes - I want some>

Cheers

Hi Alf,

I will be softening them later today.  It would be nice to have tool cut to that shape but today it will be free hand.

Roger

16 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Stuart,

Yes, I agree with you.  It is quite difficult to turn that curve on what was a cast item.  But not impossible

The majority are 9/16 x 24tpi (special)

The rheostat is 9/16 x 28tpi (special)

Heater fan 3/8  x 24

and the TR4A has a few odd ones compared to the TR4 but the base shape is of only two sizes

And they will be chromed.

Just embarking on this journey for the TR2.  It has a TR4 wiper switch to power the two speed wiper

Where was the 9/16 x 24 tap from?

Do you know the thread size/pitch of the ignition switch ?  We only have the Lucas hexagonal or deep nuts to retain it.

I will probably go down the 303 or 304 stainless path and polish, chrome being stupid expensive unless you have sufficient weight for barrel plating.

Thanks in advance

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
23 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Peter,

all taps and dies from TRacy Tools

The Ign swit Bezel is 19mm x 0.75mm

Bezel Dims.doc 243 kB · 1 download

Thank you Roger.   I had suspected Tracy Tools as the place for the taps.   I guess I should spend an hour setting up the lathe to single point turn the imperial internal threads.

57 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Pete

If it is only the one or so threads you need tapping at 9/16x24 then bring it round here and use my tap.

Roger

Thank you for the kind offer Roger.    It will be two for the wiper switch (9/16 x 24) plus two for the ignition switch. (M19 x .75).  

production technique will be to turn a tube that is more than deep enough for the required qty to be made. With tapping bore and correct od.  

Onto mill after that to slot face.  
Back in lathe to deburr & smooth radius.

Part off to correct thickness.

Repeat.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
52 minutes ago, North London Mike said:

Roger

Very smart, just need the special tool for the last nip up :rolleyes:

Indeed,  I do them as well.  Large and small

Roger

On 5/28/2024 at 10:46 AM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Thank you for the kind offer Roger.    It will be two for the wiper switch (9/16 x 24) plus two for the ignition switch. (M19 x .75).  

production technique will be to turn a tube that is more than deep enough for the required qty to be made. With tapping bore and correct od.  

Onto mill after that to slot face.  
Back in lathe to deburr & smooth radius.

Part off to correct thickness.

Repeat.

I’ve started so I will finish…..

1.5mm wide x 1.5mm deep slot for tightening 

IMG_6006.jpeg

Hi Pete,

you mentioned a 'Ball Turning Attachment' for the lathe a few months back when you were doing gear knobs. 

I had to buy one.  I am now attempting to make it fit my Chinese wonder.  Nearly there.

That curtve on the side of the bezel is just waiting to have its balls turned.

Roger

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Pete,

you mentioned a 'Ball Turning Attachment' for the lathe a few months back when you were doing gear knobs. 

I had to buy one.  I am now attempting to make it fit my Chinese wonder.  Nearly there.

That curtve on the side of the bezel is just waiting to have its balls turned.

Roger

The trick of repeatability with the ball turning attachment is to lock the slide and set a lock stop on the slide way, once you find the correct set up.

Have you considered grinding up a simple form tool to create the radius edge?     Or just radius it freehand with a file.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Pete,

Filing doesn't give the repeatability.

Making a lathe tool is not easy for me.  My grinder likes RSJ's and Mower cylinders

The Ball Turning device is almost set up and should do a good repeatable job. I just need some M10x60mm cap screws from B&Q  (this morning)

If I can get each stage sorted for the best/quickest process then I can start on a batch.

Attached is a pic of a quick way yo cut a 10mm slice o a 32mm round bar o Brass  DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME.

The angle grinder is securely strapped to the tool post.   The cutting disc is a very very thin Plasma Disc apprx 1mm thick and it slices like a hot knie through butter.

Out of camera shot I am wearing various amounts of PPE and standing to one side.

Dangerous - Yes.  But calculated.

Roger

P1070461a.jpg

Hi folks

see attached pic - the side wall has now got a repeatable curve very similar to the OEM item

Using the Ball Turning  device certainly makes the operation quite simple.  The tool does need to be set up spot on.

Roger

P1070467a.jpg

P1070468a.jpg

P1070469a.jpg

P1070470a.jpg

Excellent

I see you have the vertical “real estate” problem I have to get the ball turning attachment under the chuck    I often use collets or the tail stock chuck or my dinky little 80 mm 4 jaw self centring chuck, to get the tool below the rotating chuck.

Have you seen this video about setting up a ball turner?   Using known diameter pins to set the cutter or a flat faced pin to set to centre.   It is a rather good way of doing things.   Will mean some mods to your ball turner though.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Please stop talking about nailing balls - it makes me shudder!

Like everything which Roger undertakes, a marvellous standard (which includes the repair he made to the buckle of my original 1960s Volvo seat belt).

Ian Cornish