Hi all,

I must admit we are feeling our age more hence a question. Our Caterham had fantastic leather seats that even a 6+ hour drive wouldn’t leave your back sore. Gotta say I’d put a pair in if they didn’t say Caterham as they’re just that darn good! After just 2 hours we’re like a couple old creakies from ours!
Hence I’m curious if others have been down this path, and if so, what you’ve replaced yours with? It seems looking at others’ cars the MX5 seats(~£200ish / pair)  which are very reasonably priced are a good option. 
if you’ve replaced your TR6  seats, I’d love to hear what you recommend and how much work it was?

PS> Ours are in quite good state so I’ll likely wrap them up & put in loft for when we can’t enjoy our car, hopefully in a long time!

Edited by Steve-B

The answer is yes.   Very comfortable.   MX 5 mk2

I bought a pair with removable headrests for under £100 on an auction site.  
Paul Bishop quoted £750 to re cover.   

You will need runners

or get a full Kit  https://trtrader.com/parts-lists/Mazda Seats.html

I swapped the seats in the end with a friend who has a MX5 with ratty seats for some TR spares he had.   The things were just too wide and would not go back far enough in a TR3 without hammering the bodywork.

The original maker of the  Caterham seats and other trim items is in Surrey.  I think they make them exclusively for Caterham and will not sell them to anyone else.

https://www.oxtedtrimming.co.uk/automotive/

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

That’s just what I’m looking for Peter! Searching eBay has yielded quite a number of them so the gubbins are the essential I wasn’t sure about. As the TR6 has a bit more cockpit room I’m optimistic they’re easy to do. 

Steve - here are some photos of some MX5 seats which I purchased off Paul Bishop which he re-upholsters into a Triumph style - very nicely done and not that expensive - his seats normally come with suitably modified MX5 runners and the TR conversion floor brackets.

Cheers Rich Crewe-Read

IMG_0002 (1).JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_0003 (1).JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_0004 (1).JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_0005 (1).JPG - Resized.JPG

11 hours ago, Steve-B said:

That’s just what I’m looking for Peter! Searching eBay has yielded quite a number of them so the gubbins are the essential I wasn’t sure about. As the TR6 has a bit more cockpit room I’m optimistic they’re easy to do. 

Crucial thing is to get seats with intact and undamaged foam.   If damaged in any way, Paul Bishop described them as junk.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Rich those look brilliant and I've dropped Paul an email to enquire. He's not a million miles away from us so collection would be a nice day out.

Peter your point is well taken -- if Paul doesn't have some to hand, I'll look to source some and have him refurb them.

You both deserve a pint for your kind assistance!

Hi Steve, I got my seats from Paul Bishop about 10 years ago, very happy with them and they are still very comfortable. We’ve driven around France and Spain many times.

Cheers Kev.IMG_5695.thumb.jpeg.e5a0fb67ccc5f770090b7c9fcfd3becf.jpeg

Very nice Kev. Awaiting a reply from Paul so I can get pricing/availability. Will need to discuss with SWMBO whether to go with vinyl/leatherette or breathable covering. I do very much like the white piping on Peter's seats.

Hi Steve A fellow group member has MR2 cloth seats fitted in his 6 I’ve removed them and refitted after some work for him they are a perfect fit if l could find some leather ones l would fit to my 4a

Chris

Ive got the original cloth version of the MX seats in my 4a and I personally prefer them in hot weather to the leather especially if you leave the car with hood down in hot weather!

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Ive got the original cloth version of the MX seats in my 4a and I personally prefer them in hot weather to the leather especially if you leave the car with hood down in hot weather!

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, that's exactly SWMBO's point -- no hot bottoms!

(I'm certain we can think of other ways to say that! )

4 hours ago, stuart said:

Stuart.

I changed from leather to fabric MX5 seats in my TR6 last year for this reason, much preferable in hot weather.

Dave

Carl at TR Bitz changed the existing in mine (which were beyond shot to bits) to MR2s using (I think) the other Carl at TR Traders runners kit. Never measured it but it feels like they end up maybe an inch or an inch and a half higher; I’m 6’2” and it’s not been a problem for me.

8 minutes ago, mhossack said:

Paul Bishop the way to go.

1882845401_PaulBishop.thumb.JPG.595e4b52ecaa8fd5c76541a6480a8673.JPG

Do you have a working email address for Paul? I've tried 2 and no response so far.

20 hours ago, Steve-B said:

Thanks Stuart, that's exactly SWMBO's point -- no hot bottoms!

(I'm certain we can think of other ways to say that! )

It is easy to flip the seat-backs forwards when parked up so that the sides you sit against have been in the shade - I find it works well and has the added bonus that any bird-dirt deposited by our feathered friends isn’t an immediate problem! 

…….. Andy

8 minutes ago, Steve-B said:

Do you have a working email address for Paul? I've tried 2 and no response so far.

Steve

You may need to persevere as Paul is not great at responding to electronic communications although he is a lovely person when you eventually meet him. Also, he is often quite busy (until the supply of ex MkII MX 5 finally dries up!).

Miles

The mobile reception in his area is poor, so the landline is often the better bet for Paul (but remember, farming is his day-job)

…….. Andy

Edited by AndyR100

I've been able to reach Paul, thanks all!