Today I took the TR to the local shop for some milk and a trial run before the weekend club meeting I found a  small puddle in the drive and there was some colours floating on it.  I thought that it must be an oil drip under the front of the TR3A. I parked the car in the garage and went to adjust the tickeover. It had gone to 1200 and was easily adjusted down. 

While I was doing this I noticed a serious leak from both the new banjo connections on the new flexible. They have fibre washers and I found some copper ones but they will only pass over the threaded part and not over the main part of the banjo bolt.  I used well seal when I put it all together. It was dry at first and I was relaxing. But  it was a surprise serious leak. I was lucky in finding this at home in the garage and not on the local country roads at 60 mph. I have no breakdown cover now after many years with the RAC.

So I have found Hylomar blue on a shelf in the garage. I have cleaned out the nozzle and will try tomorrow.

What is the advice on using Hylomar blue  ? Fit it in 15 minutes and leave overnight before testing ??  Use something else ???

Thanks Richard & B

I would try nipping them up before dismantling and using different washers/sealant etc. I've found that the connections to the carbs need a second nip after use. I wouldn't run the car on milk though......

Hi Richard,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      I wouldn't use Hylomar at all, get the two proper copper washers (GHF362 outer) and (233220A inner) they are cheap, fit clean and dry and to the correct torque and you shouldn't have any leaks,   ... in the past I have found that Wellseal does not really form a seal it is more of a conditioner for paper gaskets, I've got a metal set of small drawers in the garage and a tube of Wellseal oozed out some 10 years ago, it's still tacky!!                                                                                                                                                         Cheers Rob

Personally, I would not waste my time using blue Hylomar on a copper washer that is the wrong size being used in the wrong location.

Why have you rejected using the correct fibre washers, fitted without goop, that Burlen can supply?  Part Number AUC2141 available as single washers for under 50p each from most classic car spare sellers, Austin, Morris, Healey, TR, that used the SU carb or fuel pump.  https://www.morrisminorspares.com/fuel-system-c74/fuel-carburettor-c75/washer-banjo-bolt-auc2141-p830754

What spanner are you using to tighten the banjo bolt hexagon heads?   I always used a ring spanner that is the correct size and worked a treat.

13 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Personally, I would not waste my time using blue Hylomar on a copper washer that is the wrong size being used in the wrong location.

Why have you rejected using the correct fibre washers, fitted without goop, that Burlen can supply?  Part Number AUC2141 available as single washers for under 50p each from most classic car spare sellers, Austin, Morris, Healey, TR, that used the SU carb or fuel pump.  https://www.morrisminorspares.com/fuel-system-c74/fuel-carburettor-c75/washer-banjo-bolt-auc2141-p830754

What spanner are you using to tighten the banjo bolt hexagon heads?   I always used a ring spanner that is the correct size and worked a treat.

+1

+2.

If the fibre washers are still letting fuel through then either the fixing is not tight enough, or the surfaces of the mating parts are not flat.

Bob

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

+2.

If the fibre washers are still letting fuel through then either the fixing is not tight enough, or the surfaces of the mating parts are not flat.

Bob

Without wishing to be a pedant, they could be flat but not perpendicular to the thread. :D

Thanks for the advice. I will try the AUC 2141 fitted dry later on today or tomorrow if it rains. The new flexible was supplied by Moss. I am sure that R&D were satisfied with the fitting.

If it leaks I will be asking for more advice on here. The Hylomar is back on a shelf inthe garage.

Thanks

Richard & B

I have fitted new fibre washers , AUC 2141 , and even using a ring spanner there was still a small leak on the front carb. This would stop me leaving the garden in the TR3a

So last night  I found some Red Hermetite on a back shelf,  and used small amounts on all metal faces and both sides of the fibre washers, and my hands !!. Today I tried a local test run to my local Esso station. It was all dry and the rear carb banjo was dry ever since fitting new washers. So if I try to tighten the front carb Banjo any further I will be breaking the existing seal  and maybe allow fuel to escape when I am on a fast A road. 

So this is a lucky day because I  also located an annoying rattle. It is the Triumph badge in the middle of the front panel. What can I use to fix it in place without access to the other side ? I do have some spare mastics and sealants in the garage. My son is coming for the week end and he is helping me to clear the garage etc. So I need some advice before 10.00 am tomorrow please.

Richard & B

Blue Hylomar (like Red Hermetite) isn’t intended for permanent contact with fuel so I wouldn’t use it in this situation.  

The key thing is to get the mating faces clean and do up tight enough.

As Andy says blue hylamor doesn’t set also once fibre washers have become soaked they really need to be replaced with new and l would fit dry

Chris