Tr5 restoration after 17 yrs

Hi all , 

after buying my car along time ago and selling my last tr I’ve  finally got space to get the car back on the road obviously it’s going to take some time but I have got a great start when I was lucky enough to buy it the owner purchased a brand new unused chassis from a main dealership it was hanging from the ceiling on display,had a slight sand blast and had the strengthening bits attached and powdered coated about ten years ago .

after dusting it down I found a number on a tag not sure I’ve seen that before.

Not restored one for along time and I am sure I will need help along the way ,on my last one I used a Nissan rear diff with the good parts conversion,my question  is best to keep original as its a two owner car or modify sensibly  .

regards

Nick

IMG_2806.jpeg

IMG_2808.jpeg

IMG_2810.jpeg

Just out of interest Nick, whereabouts on the chassis was the number tag?
Tim

I think the Goodparts modification is a matter of preference. I would love to have the Nissan differential but only if with a slightly lower ratio than the 3.45 I have now.

Enjoy the restoration!

Waldi

Why would a dealer keep a chassis on display unless it was a reject & the factory didn't want it back? Seems odd. Have you checked the suspension pick up points are in the right places!

As far as mods or originality are concerned, I'm firmly in the mods camp. You need to make it fit your needs and resolve any of the known issues.

Jerry

1 hour ago, jerrytr5 said:

Why would a dealer keep a chassis on display unless it was a reject & the factory didn't want it back? Seems odd. Have you checked the suspension pick up points are in the right places!

As far as mods or originality are concerned, I'm firmly in the mods camp. You need to make it fit your needs and resolve any of the known issues.

Jerry

Main dealers often had things like that hanging around for years after, The dealers in Truro eventually flogged off the last batch they had in stock for about £50 each.

Stuart.

17 hours ago, had17462 said:

Hi Tim it’s on the n/s front before suspension turret.

Nick

When you say before the turret, is that looking forwards or rearwards?

I found the attached on the front crossmember.

Cheers,

Tim

IMG_4474.thumb.JPG.fd041a52751e47d6d07a6cf85436bea0.JPG

IMG_1972.thumb.JPG.ff2a5aad5c808a292a82f9d0743b3cc9.JPG

1 hour ago, dblenk said:

Hi

my chassis has that dont know what it is

David

Its a Rubery Owen series number, there arent any records for them so its not anything to worry about.

Stuart.

Hi again , the chassis is spot on but Tim that tag you have is on all chassis as Stuart said ,on my one the tag is on the n/s front chassis rail looking rear wards.

Keeping the original diff that’s one thing less to worry about.

n

Nick

On 3/17/2024 at 7:26 AM, had17462 said:

after dusting it down I found a number on a tag not sure I’ve seen that before.

Did you clean off the plate, it looks like it is at least one letter and 5 numbers?

Hi Nick, good to see progress after all this time. 

I do hope that all goes well.

May see you at the International at Malvern,  sounds like it will be great.

Cheers,  Conrad. 

I am all for sensible modifications, but I would keep the current diff if it is Ok.

The diff replacements that I have seen.. eg..Nissan or BMW, the bracketry for attachment does not look as good as the factory install.

Different story if you want an LSD.