Solway Aviation Museum hopes to save Blackburn Beverley XB259

Hi all, 

I know that there are many aviation enthusiasts on our forum, and I just wondered if any would be interested in

this story from Carlisle's own volunteer run aviation society. This group have had much success in the past in saving many, 

mostly 1950's British aircraft including a Vulcan Bomber, which Cumbria Group were allowed to use as a backdrop to our time 

with TS2. Now they are on a mission to save the last remaining Beverley Transport.

They  have a Facebook page, with a link to a fundraising site, please take a look and help if you can.

John.

That will be a shame if it goes for scrap. I have fond memories of Beverleys during my Air Training Corps days in the sixties. My very first flight was in a Beverley @ RAF Thorney Island around 1963/4 when nearly all the cadets were airsick due to that tail moving up & down in flight! A glutton for punishment we flew in them (probably XB259 itself) on parachute drops & night flights from RAF Abingdon. By then my airsickness had disappeared! I will be sending a donation.

• 2 months later...

An update, 

local news is reporting the Solway Aviation, reached it's target,

and that the project to dismantle, and transport the Beverley to their site near Carlisle has started.

Nice to post a good news story.

John.

When I was in the RAF, some of the guys I met were ex Beverly pilots and they said that sometimes, coming back from Italy, if the northerly wind was strong over the Alps- the Levanter  or Scirocco, can't remember which now- they couldn't make it against the headwind. It wasn't the fastest aircraft in the inventory!  Still glad to hear it's been saved.

Dave.

On 2/3/2024 at 1:55 PM, monty said:

That will be a shame if it goes for scrap. I have fond memories of Beverleys during my Air Training Corps days in the sixties. My very first flight was in a Beverley @ RAF Thorney Island around 1963/4 when nearly all the cadets were airsick due to that tail moving up & down in flight! A glutton for punishment we flew in them (probably XB259 itself) on parachute drops & night flights from RAF Abingdon. By then my airsickness had disappeared! I will be sending a donation.

I took my first flight in an Argosy, out of RAF Abingdon, as an ATC cadet.

Like you it was back in the 60's, between 1964 & 1968.

We were regular visitors to RAF,s Abingdon, Benson and White Waltham, which is where we went gliding.

Sadly Abingdon is now in the hands of the army and White Waltham is a private airfield.

Hi John,

Did my gliding @ Swanton Morley. I fly into White Waltham occasionally with my friend in his Jodel. Good cafe there & almost unchanged from the 60’s. Worth a visit.