Chassis strengthening TR5

On 2/8/2024 at 12:21 PM, dave bailey said:

Hi TRier. That's an interesting solution to the problem. Looks effective and makes you wonder why Triumph didn't do something similar when they designed the bridge! Hi Dave McD. I've actually done exactly what has been done to your CTM chassis, and might leave it at that,(although I'm tempted to do something similar to TRier's.) I see that you have joined the front and rear bridge in the same way as you did on the one you sold me. Having finished my cogitating I've, cooked up a scheme to reinforce the chassis a bit more, I'll put some pictures on when it's done. Dave.

If TRier's deep sided cup remains, I guess it'll mean the springs won't come out easily ..when the semi-trailing arm is in place ?  Whereas triangular gusset plates down either side of the spring don't effect its fitting or removal.   Swinging the arm lower is prevented by the half-shafts coming down against the chassis, and the danger of their splines being pulled out too far.  

Pete 

On 2/7/2024 at 5:27 PM, TRier said:

I fabricated a new chassis

Is that allowed nowadays ?   I only ask because I'm no longer up to date with vehicle registrations.

Pete

15 hours ago, Bfg said:

If TRier's deep sided cup remains, I guess it'll mean the springs won't come out easily ..when the semi-trailing arm is in place ?  Whereas triangular gusset plates down either side of the spring don't effect its fitting or removal.   Swinging the arm lower is prevented by the half-shafts coming down against the chassis, and the danger of their splines being pulled out too far.  

Pete 

Hi Pete, as I said I haven't tried the thing in anger yet but I would think with a spring compressor the springs will come out easily enough, but thats a speculation, I dont know yet. Personally I dont like the triangular gusset solution, I think it looks a bit ugly. In terms of allowed, well its not disallowed where I am certainly from a regulatory perspective. There's an interesting chat in there on that subject but this probably isnt the post for it.

Niall

Edited by TRier

I think you're right Niall, with spring compressor getting the springs in and out shouldn't be a problem, and they only very rarely need to be removed anyway.

I hadn't noted you were in Ireland, and I know nothing about your country's vehicle regulations.  I used to professionally built and sell replacement chassis for A-series Citroens ..many years ago, but as I say I'm out of touch with current UK or EEC regulations.  I'll look forward to your reporting on test drives B)

Pete.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would put some pictures up showing what I eventually decided to do with my chassis. Finally I'm going to move on!

Dave.

chassis37.JPG

chassis39.JPG

chassis46.JPG

chassis48.JPG

Looks really good David.  I'm supposing you followed CTM's example of welded doubling plates for the rear springs ?

Pete

On 2/14/2024 at 9:42 AM, Bfg said:

I think you're right Niall, with spring compressor getting the springs in and out shouldn't be a problem, and they only very rarely need to be removed anyway.

I hadn't noted you were in Ireland, and I know nothing about your country's vehicle regulations.  I used to professionally built and sell replacement chassis for A-series Citroens ..many years ago, but as I say I'm out of touch with current UK or EEC regulations.  I'll look forward to your reporting on test drives B)

Pete.

Spring compressors…..Like this with cable ties

Have now removed this photo as it is Not a safe way to do it !

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

^

Fascinating Peter ..  I'm sure that photograph could be assigned a profound meaning and be admired in the finest art gallery. 

Definitely a work of art blended with science.

11 hours ago, Malbaby said:

Dave...have you thought about a support brace/braces from the top of the front diff mount down to the T shirt area.

...........indeed, the 4/4A had a horse shoe shaped extension in a bid to stiffen things.  Do not know why it was removed for the 5/6

Roger

22 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Spring compressors…..Like this?

image.thumb.jpeg.5e47b17347bb495e8465a77f52076236.jpeg

Must have taken you ages to set that up for a pic.

1/2" stud down the middle with suitable flat bars and bish bosh sorted!

Yes Pete, I've double plated the spring support bracket. I also don't know why they did away with the 'horseshoe' like strengthener as fitted on the TR4A, cost cutting probably. If I was rebuilding this car for racing, then I might well have considered further bracing for the forward diff turret,  Anyway that's it now, I've had enough of chassis welding! and need to move on - lots to do! Thanks for your inputs.

Dave.