Cranshaft pully- TDC position- hole is missing

On 2/12/2024 at 4:31 PM, Moliver said:

Hi Bob, 

You are correct the Limora **** kit received today includes an almost double diameter pulley. No way I will fit this to my dynamo. No one at Limora tells you - I am longing to have a Moss quality supplier here on the mainland...

lim.jpg

Do you know what you will do yet?  
I will look in my stock of parts as I have a memory of having a steel pulley for a narrow belt that is the same diameter as the TR dynamo wide belt one.  
Do you want me to go searching?  

I am unlikely to need it as I have now got the Nippon Denso small alternator fitted with a wide belt.   I machined the original TR dynamo pulley to fit 

PM if you want me to search and any other details.

Cheers

Peter W

Thanks, 

I am happy with Limora in general  when talking to the right people. Unfortunately  the technical experts don't take parts orders. In return, the parts manager do not have any glue what they are selling...

Moss France may be worth a try. It is just that (for whatever reason) shipping cost from France to Germany are quite high....

But as long as I enjoy the benefit of this forums experts input, I am not too much concerned about the "fog in the channel" :-)

Cheers

On 2/13/2024 at 7:08 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Do you know what you will do yet?  
I will look in my stock of parts as I have a memory of having a steel pulley for a narrow belt that is the same diameter as the TR dynamo wide belt one.  
Do you want me to go searching?  

I am unlikely to need it as I have now got the Nippon Denso small alternator fitted with a wide belt.   I machined the original TR dynamo pulley to fit 

PM if you want me to search and any other details.

Cheers

Peter W

I have sent it back to Limora and kindly asked them do do some homework prior to selling stuff without knowledge....

Ordered a proper kit at Bastuck which arrived today and will be fit over the weekend. Excellent quality and a "homemade" Bastuck kitt. I love having options when it comes to parts suppliers....

14 hours ago, Moliver said:

Thanks, 

I am happy with Limora in general  when talking to the right people. Unfortunately  the technical experts don't take parts orders. In return, the parts manager do not have any glue what they are selling...

Moss France may be worth a try. It is just that (for whatever reason) shipping cost from France to Germany are quite high....

But as long as I enjoy the benefit of this forums experts input, I am not too much concerned about the "fog in the channel" :-)

Cheers

Interesting that postage from France to Germany is high, so much for your EU then.

Stuart.

Hum, I think that the postage is fairly standard from France to any country in the EU. I suspect that the heavy postage and packing fees practised, particularly on small orders and rather abusively in my view, by Moss Europe,  drives some of their customers away towards Datch, Betaset and others.

I must confess to not being very good at looking at these supplementary profit centres until it’s too late!

james

Hello Gentlemen, 

back to the initial topic: I have now bought the Bastuck kit for the narrow  belt conversion. The pulleys have the correct diameter, now.

However little confusion: I obviously do have an interim flange attached, which is not supposed to be there (maybe  part of the electric fan conversion of the preowner?)

The flange must go in order to have proper alignment of the pulleys. – experts please confirm!

What is thebest way to  open the crankshaft pulley bolt ? Is it a CW or CCW ? 

Advise welcome prior to start activities.

Thanks

Oliver

TR.jpg

Standard size "dog bolt" has a 1 + 1/8 th  AF head and a 5/8" th UNF thread. If you've got a different bolt in place it's still likely a fit for a 1 1/8 AF socket, use a single hex not double hex. Standard torque setting for these (only shown in TR3 2nd printing 6th edition (from memory) are 140lb ft . I set mine at 120 lb ft on engine rebuilds (showing empathy for 50 plus year old components) and they don't come loose, (that's the same as on a Stag, so I figure it's plenty.) Don't be tempted to just use a ring spanner or lesser torque, if the pulley comes loose the crankshaft batters the woodruff key sideways into the keyway, I did have one with a 6mm sideways "notch" cut into the wall (not my engine).

Wife (or significant other) sat in car with foot on footbrake and the handbrake set on hard, gearbox in 4th gear with a couple of chocks in front of the rear wheels does the job. Impact driver with impact socket or torque wrench or breaker bar with you pushing down (undoing) does the rest.

Mick Richards 

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
50 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

with a couple of chocks in front of the rear wheels does the job

For undoing the nut, the chocks need to be behind the wheels.  In front for doing it up again. 

What pulley is currently fitted.?    
Your picture is of a new pulley loosely mounted.   To remove the original steel 2 piece pulley you have to undo the big front crank bolt.  Item 76/77 here   https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/engine/engines-components/internal-engine-tr2-4a-1953-67.html

To assemble correctly 

The extra aluminium spacer is not original so probably not required.

I would have thought the new single aluminium pulley from Bastuck would be a direct replacement for the old 2 piece steel pulley.   I would telephone them and request their instructions.

If it is this kit   https://www.trgb.co.uk/products/narrow-belt-conversion-kit-undamped
The seller says it is for use with original fan fitment only.    In which case you will need a support spacer of some sorts.   Please let us know what Bastuck say.

Here is the Bastuck narrow pulley I bought in 2016   No timing marks or painted finish.  

IMG_2363.jpeg

IMG_2364.jpeg

IMG_2365.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
3 hours ago, RobH said:

For undoing the nut, the chocks need to be behind the wheels.  In front for doing it up again. 

Thanks Rob, a small but important point.

Mick Richards

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

What pulley is currently fitted.?    
Your picture is of a new pulley loosely mounted.   To remove the original steel 2 piece pulley you have to undo the big front crank bolt.  Item 76/77 here   https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/engine/engines-components/internal-engine-tr2-4a-1953-67.html

To assemble correctly 

The extra aluminium spacer is not original so probably not required.

I would have thought the new single aluminium pulley from Bastuck would be a direct replacement for the old 2 piece steel pulley.   I would telephone them and request their instructions.

If it is this kit   https://www.trgb.co.uk/products/narrow-belt-conversion-kit-undamped
The seller says it is for use with original fan fitment only.    In which case you will need a support spacer of some sorts.   Please let us know what Bastuck say.

Here is the Bastuck narrow pulley I bought in 2016   No timing marks or painted finish.  

IMG_2363.jpeg

IMG_2364.jpeg

IMG_2365.jpeg

Peter.

this is exactly the kit I have for installation. 

Do you know in which direction the flat side is fitted ? If fiited to the outside, it  appears the the alignemnt with the shim plate is correct. The picture I have posted earlier shows the pulley fitted with the flat side towards the engine - which seems to be incorrect ?

34 minutes ago, Moliver said:

Peter.

this is exactly the kit I have for installation. 

Do you know in which direction the flat side is fitted ? If fiited to the outside, it  appears the the alignemnt with the shim plate is correct. The picture I have posted earlier shows the pulley fitted with the flat side towards the engine - which seems to be incorrect ?

I think the flat side should be towards the engine and the curved/hollowed side should bolt to the engine side of the crank hub, the same way as the original steel two piece pulley does.

Again.   What is the original pulley looking like please. And how is/was it fitted to the engine?

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Peter, 

the pulley fitted was the original two piece for the wide belt. It was fitted with the distance plate shown in the picture and with the TDC hole facing towards The outside/ the cooler.

" the curved/hollowed side should bolt to the engine side of the crank hub"  -  I have difficulties to understand as this would mean curved side to the engine as well ??

If the flat side goes towards the engine, I do have an unacceptable misalignment to the waterpump pulley and would have to take the distance plate off. If I put the curved side towards the engine, it seems to be about corrrect....

15 minutes ago, Moliver said:

Peter, 

the pulley fitted was the original two piece for the wide belt. It was fitted with the distance plate shown in the picture and with the TDC hole facing towards The outside/ the cooler.

" the curved/hollowed side should bolt to the engine side of the crank hub"  -  I have difficulties to understand as this would mean curved side to the engine as well ??

If the flat side goes towards the engine, I do have an unacceptable misalignment to the waterpump pulley and would have to take the distance plate off. If I put the curved side towards the engine, it seems to be about corrrect....

I will get in the garage and assemble it how I think it goes tomorrow and photo.

That said…..if the new pulley aligns correctly using the extra spacers already fitted, that were added to get the old steel pulley correctly aligned but mounted on the front of the pulley hub, then that sounds ok.   Originally the steel pulley mounts from behind the pulley hub, between engine and pulley hub.   To fit originally you must remove the crank bolt and pulley hub.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Not doing very well on this as I have misplaced my spare front crank and fan extension.

I do have just the front seal hub.   Here is a photo of how I think the new pulley should go, in place of the original two part steel pulley.

You need to confirm this with Bastuck.

IMG_5625.jpeg

IMG_5624.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hello Peter, 

Thanks for the pics and thoughts but now I am puzzled.

The pulley goes behind the hub, means I have to losen the center bolt, take the hub off and then assemble the pulley from the back ?

Means it would sit at the red line ?

My wide belt pulley however was sitting as shown on the oicture however with the distance piece.

Can anyone maybe send some pics of the overall installation on the car ?

Bild2.png

Edited by Moliver

Come Sunday I will have a complete original pulley and fan extension to measure.   Will post dimensions when the parts arrive and I have measured.

Definitive answer

The new aluminium pulley fits on the rear of the crank hub, same way as the original ones do.

Fits with flat face to the engine.

when compared to a steel wide belt pulley the new narrow belt aluminium one end up in the centre of that steel wide v belt groove.

IMG_2459.jpeg

IMG_5643.jpeg

Thanks all. Will get out the big wrench and install correctly as soon as the black paint is dry ...

Edited by Moliver
On 2/21/2024 at 4:54 PM, Moliver said:

Hello Peter, 

Thanks for the pics and thoughts but now I am puzzled.

The pulley goes behind the hub, means I have to losen the center bolt, take the hub off and then assemble the pulley from the back ?

Means it would sit at the red line ?

My wide belt pulley however was sitting as shown on the oicture however with the distance piece.

Can anyone maybe send some pics of the overall installation on the car ?

Bild2.png

Can you measure your fan belt width. To me it looks like it already has been converted to a narrow belt