Sorry to go over old ground, but did try doing a search on here, but am I correct in thinking or did I imagine it, that one way of overcoming the tight spare wheel storage on a TR3a is to replace original tight fitting spare with a Volvo V40 15” 125/90/15 “get you home” wheel, possibly from a 96-04 model

My car has wire wheels and a standard steel spare. It is a very, very tight fit and seeing as dealing with a puncture will already be a nightmare ie . having to take wire wheel converter off to get steel on , I thought I might make it at least a bit easier getting the spare out of the boot.

Thanks

I have a 4” wire wheel as a spare with a 155 tyre but I am aware of the fact that this is a non standard arrangement and is very definitely for emergency use only. 

Rgds Ian

If you are going to go for a spare which is different to the 4 on the car, then, in your case, I would just go for a smaller spare wire wheel as Ian has.

Bob

Having had other cars that had tight spare wheel wells when radial tyres are fitted, I have always tied a decent rope around the spare (through the spokes and over the rim/tyre) this plus reducing the pressure in the spare allows for me to push it into the well, rope hanging out, so I can then use the rope to pull the spare out, then reinflate when needed.

PS I carry a 12v inflator!

7 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

I have a 4” wire wheel as a spare with a 155 tyre but I am aware of the fact that this is a non standard arrangement and is very definitely for emergency use only. 

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian, does your set up fit easily or does the tyre have to be deflated to fit. Additionally is it a 48 spoke wheel and have you ever had any issues with this set up ?

I also have a 155 on a 4” 48 spoke as a spare. It’s a snug fit in the letterbox but it does fit fully inflated.  My 5 1/2” 72 spokes with 165s won’t go near it deflated or no. 
The body is a post 60,000 which I believe has a slightly deeper storage due to a different pressing in the boot floor…..not sure so happy to be put straight. 

Hi Andrew, thanks for info, my car is a 1960 TR3A which I think like yours is a post 60000, which hopefully will have the modified boot floor….will check this out tomorrow. 

If you are after some 48 spoke wheels, these are on ebay at the moment with a starting price of £21 for all 4 wheels- no bids yet, and only 2 hours left to go- ending at 23.15 tonight

Cheers Rich

Thanks Rich, they look a bargain, but I only need one ! Don’t fancy storing the other three and then trying to dispose of them.

Unless others on here are interested in them as spare wheels !

Thats funny, one moment advertised at Starting bid £21, revisited and starting bid had gone to £65, still no bids !

Edited by TR Rob
Addition

I have a 165 on a 48 spoke wheel for my spare, it just fits and like Trev I have a strap through the spokes to help in removing it. The standard wheel will go in but only when flat which is ofcourse when it would be put in the spare wheel slot.

George

12 hours ago, TR Rob said:

Hi Ian, does your set up fit easily or does the tyre have to be deflated to fit. Additionally is it a 48 spoke wheel and have you ever had any issues with this set up ?

As Andrew has already said, yes it fits easily enough fully inflated.

Rgds Ian

On 1/27/2024 at 1:20 PM, TR Rob said:

Thanks for the good advice. 
Looks like the search is on for a 4” wire wheel !!

Hi Rob,  I have a single 4.5 X 15 60 spoke wheel spare which you can have free if any good to you. Been powder coated in chrome effect and never used. I had 2 when I was collecting a set of 4 one at a time but ended up with a set of 5.5 72 spokers on the car with 185/70 tyres. It`s sister wheel is in my spare wheel compartment with a 165 tyre  (deflated) and a 12v pump.  I used to have a Firestone 165 on the spare which fitted in fully inflated, but it was an old tyre so bought a new one same size and that will not fit pumped up. My car is post 60000 too.

I`m in Pontefract though, a bit far from you.

Ralph

2 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Hi Rob,  I have a single 4.5 X 15 60 spoke wheel spare which you can have free if any good to you. Been powder coated in chrome effect and never used. I had 2 when I was collecting a set of 4 one at a time but ended up with a set of 5.5 72 spokers on the car with 185/70 tyres. It`s sister wheel is in my spare wheel compartment with a 165 tyre  (deflated) and a 12v pump.  I used to have a Firestone 165 on the spare which fitted in fully inflated, but it was an old tyre so bought a new one same size and that will not fit pumped up. My car is post 60000 too.

Ralph

You car being post TS60000 means it had a raised section in the boot floor to allow a wider spare wheel to fit.    Earlier cars do not have this feature.    I can sell you a new post 60 k boot floor if you are thinking of tearing the back end off your body shell…..

I use one of my old 48 spoke tyres and it just fits fully inflated in my pre 6k model. What I do is use an old strap around the wheel rather than through the spokes as it gives me an extra bit of margin.

4 minutes ago, DesNoble said:

I use one of my old 48 spoke tyres and it just fits fully inflated in my pre 6k model. What I do is use an old strap around the wheel rather than through the spokes as it gives me an extra bit of margin.

I included one in the Moss parts book.

How they conclude it is not available is beyond me.   Simple sourcing from any trimmer using 3/4” wide nylon webbing.  And while they are at it make the Stag battery lift strap too.

Was original fitment in Rover 800

Strap, spare wheel removal

NCA

NOT AVAILABLE

PART NUMBER: JRC7954

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
32 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Ralph

Hi Ralph, thanks for your generous offer but as you say a bit of a distance away.

To be truthful I was going on the information I was given when I bought the car that it had a steel rimmed spare.
Decided  to get the spare out this morning and to my surprise I have a standard 60 spoke wheel fitted with a Pirelli Cinturato 165 ….fully inflated !

It was a bit fiddly getting it out mainly because the central boss of the wheel was catching on the lower strap retaining bracket , but other than that everything OK.

Once again thanks for your offer it was very generous.