Hi I had never heard of this model until recently 

I bet you guys can fill in the gaps. 
the talk of a twin cam 300bhp version would have been very exciting. 
https://mossmotoring.com/powered-rolls-royce-austin-healey-4000/

I think Healey were looking for a more powerful engine for the big Healey and BMC had plenty of 4 litre Rolls Royce engines lying around because the Vandenplas Princess wasn't selling well so the two were combined, not simple though as the Healey bodyshell was split down the middle and 4 inches added to the width. Only a couple were built as far as I know although more may have been built as specials, none were twin cam though.

Cheers Richard

I can definitely second Waldi's recommendation of the Healey museum near Utrecht - well worth a visit. Referring to Hamish's original post, here are a couple of photos of the Healey 4000 prototype which is in that collection.

Mike

PS If you look carefully at the overhead photo, you can see where the hood cover has had a piece let in to fit the wider body and, when you see the car 'in the flesh', many of the other changes are evident.

2018-09-21 001 (6).JPG

2018-09-21 001 (50).JPG

1 hour ago, Deggers said:

Healey 4000

I see you've already got a big hitter lined up for the ongoing thread in Alec's Inn, Hamish.

Might take a while to get to that one.  :D

Ha ha I was going to wait for the Peugeot 2008 range but the Healey 4000 is very aspirational on that thread. 

15 hours ago, mikeh said:

I can definitely second Waldi's recommendation of the Healey museum near Utrecht - well worth a visit. Referring to Hamish's original post, here are a couple of photos of the Healey 4000 prototype which is in that collection.

Mike

PS If you look carefully at the overhead photo, you can see where the hood cover has had a piece let in to fit the wider body and, when you see the car 'in the flesh', many of the other changes are evident.

2018-09-21 001 (6).JPG

2018-09-21 001 (50).JPG

The extra width in the shell is in the front and rear shrouds as the bonnet and boot are the same as the 3000.

FWIW I restored half a dozen Healeys for a Dutch firm, they are very popular over there. Not my cup of tea, every time I finished one and road tested it I used to come back to the workshop and take my TR4a out for a spin to make me feel better as the Healey isnt particularly nice to drive with that great big iron lump up front and the steering wheel so close to your chest, so I would imagine the 4000 would be even worse.

Stuart.

Stuart.

On 1/25/2024 at 12:53 PM, stuart said:

The extra width in the shell is in the front and rear shrouds as the bonnet and boot are the same as the 3000.

FWIW I restored half a dozen Healeys for a Dutch firm, they are very popular over there. Not my cup of tea, every time I finished one and road tested it I used to come back to the workshop and take my TR4a out for a spin to make me feel better as the Healey isnt particularly nice to drive with that great big iron lump up front and the steering wheel so close to your chest, so I would imagine the 4000 would be even worse.

Stuart.

Stuart.

But they have to be one of the best looking cars ever - particularly the original 100/4s.

Rgds Ian

3 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

But they have to be one of the best looking cars ever - particularly the original 100/4s.

Rgds Ian

The 100/4 was a lot better balanced but still too short in the cab for anyone over about 5`8".

Stuart.

And they weren't all that well made either despite being assembled by Jensen.  The body had to be welded to chassis to stop the bulkhead shaking itself to bits!  And the heat from the exhaust under the floor could cook your legs too. One of my jobs as an apprentice was to cut and fit the asbestos sheet used to try and stop it. 

hoges. 

6 minutes ago, Paul Hogan said:

And they weren't all that well made either despite being assembled by Jensen.  The body had to be welded to chassis to stop the bulkhead shaking itself to bits!  And the heat from the exhaust under the floor could cook your legs too. One of my jobs as an apprentice was to cut and fit the asbestos sheet used to try and stop it. 

hoges. 

And it didnt stop it either, hence why the competition ones had the sill cut away and the exhaust routed along the side.

Stuart.

17 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Barbie had one
what else is there to say?

image.jpeg.4d0e6995eda36595f430bf94ad49f066.jpeg

Looks like its been crossed with an MGA.

Stuart.

9 minutes ago, stuart said:

Looks like its been crossed with an MGA.

Stuart.

Looks just like one….

Mattel got their mould makers to look at photos not the real thing probably 

https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/barbies-9-greatest-cars/