Hi we go again on this 6 of mine

i was told the heater was cabled tied shut as the matrix was probably duff, ok probably correct

however i was thinking of flushing the matrix with a hose through the in hose and return, this should prove the matrix is not blocked

any ideas

yes i know fit a new one its just the hassle of removing all that dash etc i bought this car to run  guess i dont need a heater in the summer

david

David

I think it would be sensible to check if the heater matrix is blocked, either by undoing the cable tie and letting the heater work or as you suggest with a hose. However I had a heater matrix go on a 2.5pi, it seemed ok when running cold water through it, but when connected up the heat and pressure in the system was enough to cause it to leak and fill the cabin with steam!

Dave

Yep that works for me.

Were both the hoses disconnected from the engine to heater ?

If so…

Are you sure both the hose inside the car between the bulkhead 

If the tap only is wired closed you still have water pressure from the engine cooling system in the return hose line, so the matrix is under some pressure.

cheers andy yes tap pressure is around 7 Bar as i use it for pressure testing valves at the factory

i was thinking the flush stuff rust eater i might spring lots of leaks after use and the rust could be holding everything together hahaha

One thing that may help de-clog the heater is to swap the hoses to the bulkhead around so that the coolant is running in the opposite direction, run it this way for a couple of days and this may shift the gunge. Then flush the whole system

George 

Provided the heater is not blocked you won't get near the available pressure from your tap, as the water will be flowing through the heater, & out.

Turn tap on gently, & watch for free flowing water. if there is none, then you do have a blockage, so stop ! otherwise flush from both directions alternately until the water runs clear.

Bob

On 1/24/2024 at 1:02 PM, harlequin said:

One thing that may help de-clog the heater is to swap the hoses to the bulkhead around so that the coolant is running in the opposite direction, run it this way for a couple of days and this may shift the gunge. Then flush the whole system

George 

That was a Vauxhall main dealer trick to get non heating heaters working on used sales vehicles.   Their problem stemmed from OAT antifreeze creating and washing crud into the heater matrix.   The main radiator suffered similarly and back flushing that would improve cooling.   There was a GM/Vauxhall/Opel tech directive on it floating around the internet some years ago.

4 minutes ago, trchris said:

Flushing using a hose sometimes is ineffective as the water will find the easiest route and not necessarily flow throughout the cores 

Chris

i was hoping the rust eater would clear the issue

David

I once took apart the end 'boxes' of a leaky heater matrix and discovered that over half of each box had solid 'sludge' in it. This was because there were no baffles to make the water flow around the inside of these boxes instead of just straight across. A better design would be to have just one tube running through the fins and no end boxes. This would also remove all the soldered joints in the original design. I think there may be a Jaguar matrix along those lines.

So the suggestion of reversing the flow might work. Worth a try but I think the original matrix design is poor.

Keith