Starting techniques

As much out of curiosity as anything else but also ever eager to try something new ..... how do you start your TR6 and is there a 'correct' way.  

Regardless of how long stood for, I turn ignition on to prime injectors for 30 seconds, pull out choke lever fully and crank for 2 or 3 seconds .... giving the accelerator a quick blip just as the motor catches.  Even if left for a few weeks, I can normally start after only a couple of cranks.  

Prior to getting the Fred Millturn throttle linkage and choke kit, I would prime for a minute or so and then crank (key on and off) 4-5 times before the engine finally caught. I'd then blip the throttle a few times until it settled in.

Now I prime for 30s or so if cold, half choke and crank for a few seconds until it catches.

Amazing what proper kit can do.

7 hours ago, Hawk said:

As much out of curiosity as anything else but also ever eager to try something new ..... how do you start your TR6 and is there a 'correct' way.  

Regardless of how long stood for, I turn ignition on to prime injectors for 30 seconds, pull out choke lever fully and crank for 2 or 3 seconds .... giving the accelerator a quick blip just as the motor catches.  Even if left for a few weeks, I can normally start after only a couple of cranks.  

+1. But if I leave the car for more than a month or so it needs a lot more cranking.

Haven't started since Saturday when it started immediately on the first crank after 30-40 seconds priming.

Just now 30 seconds priming, cranking for 2-3 seconds and then on the second crank it started almost immediately.

Last week I replaced the plugs with Accuspark centre electrode AC9C plugs. They do seem to have made a noticeable difference to starting and to engine performance.

1 hour ago, John McCormack said:

Haven't started since Saturday when it started immediately on the first crank after 30-40 seconds priming.

Just now 30 seconds priming, cranking for 2-3 seconds and then on the second crank it started almost immediately.

Last week I replaced the plugs with Accuspark centre electrode AC9C plugs. They do seem to have made a noticeable difference to starting and to engine performance.

TR6s like nothing better than a new set of Plugs,I don’t use anything fancy but change them once every 2 year.

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2024 at 1:52 PM, Hawk said:

Edited by GeoffreyS

Turn the ignition key and wait until the fuel pump changes its note when the system is pressurised.

Full choke and crank over until it starts at which point push the choke back into about half way (varies from car to car)

If it hasn't run for a while may take a bit of cranking. If a day or two, pretty much instant.

On 1/22/2024 at 3:22 PM, Jonny TR6 said:

Prior to getting the Fred Millturn throttle linkage and choke kit, I would prime for a minute or so and then crank (key on and off) 4-5 times before the engine finally caught. I'd then blip the throttle a few times until it settled in.

Now I prime for 30s or so if cold, half choke and crank for a few seconds until it catches.

Amazing what proper kit can do.

Interesting Jonny. Your description of what you had to do to start your 6 is identical to mine.

Did you make any other changes apart from fixing and adjusting the FM kit? Presumably it was to combined metering / throttle kit.

Miles

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2024 at 5:19 PM, Andy Moltu said:

Turn the ignition key and wait until the fuel pump changes its note when the system is pressurised.

Full choke and crank over until it starts at which point push the choke back into about half way (varies from car to car)

If it hasn't run for a while may take a bit of cranking. If a day or two, pretty much instant.

X2