Good morning all,

I’ve been starting the 3A up routinely and bring up to temperature every couple of weeks since the colder months have started and she’s been tucked away. Today the car wouldn’t start despite seeming to turn over strongly. However now, when the starter or solenoid button is pushed, I’m only getting a clicking noise.

im hoping it means that it’s just the battery drained from repeated attempts but any other thoughts?

the car has been kept on a ctek trickle…

Try the headlights. If they are dim the battery is discharged. If they work OK the solenoid or starter may be duff. Is the earth return braid for the engine intact? 

Edited by RobH
12 minutes ago, RobH said:

Try the headlights. If they are dim the battery is discharged. If they work OK the solenoid or starter may be duff. Is the earth return braid for the engine intact? 

lights etc turn on, but as soon at the starter is pushed they dim. Ive also just noticed I can hear bubbling and smell sulphur when I release the starter, so very much thinking the battery is discharged. Will let it trickle charge again overnight and then see. 

out of interest any battery recommendations? I think it's a 96 size, it currently has an Exide 100VSE ..... and I assume a higher CCA won't be an issue?

Hi Chris,

it sounds as though you have simply flattened the battery.

These trickle chargers are OK but now and then you need to whack the amps in.

Put it on a decent charger for 24Hrs (ensure some ventilation) .

Roger

34 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Chris,

it sounds as though you have simply flattened the battery.

These trickle chargers are OK but now and then you need to whack the amps in.

Put it on a decent charger for 24Hrs (ensure some ventilation) .

Roger

Hopefully so!

Just had exactly the same issue…….trickle charger wasn’t enough. Put on a proper charger for 24 hrs and all good. I had the battery tested too. It’s down but I think ok at 70% of original 630 Amp. No doubt I’ll find out soon if it’s not!

My charger is 50, if not 60, years old, with chunky rectifier inside - and it's box is certainly not pocket-sized

Despite its optimistic ammeter (scaled 0 to 10 Amps), it has never shown more than 2 Amps on even a really flat battery, but it works away and has always resuscitated near dead batteries (as low as 5V).  It's not intelligent, but the output decreases to almost zero when the battery has been re-charged, and that's intelligent enoigh for an old man!

Ian Cornish

That chunky rectifier is probably a selenium one.  Real steampunk - lots of fins !  

3 hours ago, iain said:

Just had exactly the same issue…….trickle charger wasn’t enough. Put on a proper charger for 24 hrs and all good. I had the battery tested too. It’s down but I think ok at 70% of original 630 Amp. No doubt I’ll find out soon if it’s not!

Must be the time of year! 

Yes, Rob, I feel sure it's a selenium rectifier.  Good, old-fashioned technology (like its owner!)

Ian Cornish

so overnight trickle charging (I don't have a full blown charger.... yet) showed no errors on the charger, and when the battery was tested with a multimeter, it was showing 13V. Car still only clicks and won't turn over, with the ignition light even dimming. So assuming the battery is no longer pumping out enough amps or CCA, ive ordered a new battery. In fact looking through the history, the battery is about 20 years old, and with minimal usage, id say that's pretty good!

fingers crossed

You've certainly had your moneys-worth out of that one Chris.  Best I've ever managed is 12 years. 

New battery in.

What a difference, starter sounded so much more powerful than anytime since we got the car in August. She was firing a bit lumpy, but resat the ignition cables and all seems good now. I should also say the battery has only been loosely connected. Have a new liner, rubber matting etc coming

Edited by Chris Fleet

In my experience Varta Batteries are excllent. I had one last 17 years on a vintage Sunbeam with no voltage control & that is what's in now. Another lasted 13 years on a Bentley S3, that unfortunately failed as soon as I had agreed a sale.

On 1/15/2024 at 8:40 AM, TimG said:

In my experience Varta Batteries are excllent. I had one last 17 years on a vintage Sunbeam with no voltage control & that is what's in now. Another lasted 13 years on a Bentley S3, that unfortunately failed as soon as I had agreed a sale.

Varta was bought out  I'd heard,  but new owners are continuing the Varta name.

Edited by OldBob

I have one of those Lucas batteries and so far have no problem with it. Just for info I'd keep your non smart charger as it will try to charge any battery no matter how low the voltage is. A smart charger has a cut off voltage which means if the battery voltage is too low it won't charge. A work around is to add another battery in parallel (as long as it has a decent charge) which will trick the charger into believing your battery is good enough. Leave them both together until they are both charged.