anti-glare night driving glasses

Briefly discussed dazzling headlights on BBC R4 World at One today - see 39:00 minutes in. They said it was thought to be LED lights, and also lights too high on some vehicles, auto-dip and speed humps. Suggested getting your eyes tested but can also be that older people's eyes take longer to reset after being dazzled. Baroness Hayter said Govt. is going to look into the problem. Not much but at least it was discussed.

Cheers, Richard

I wish a distinction could be drawn between LED headlights, & HID ones (which are much brighter) 

Bob

On 3/31/2024 at 2:53 PM, keith1948 said:

There has been a Government response to the online petition. 

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/653793

Don't expect too much (or anything).

Meanwhile still using the yellow anti glare specs. I think they help. It is interesting that they show which cars have LED's and which don't from the colour of the headlights.

Keith

Our signing of the petition has had some effect after all - a review into the brightness, rather than the aim (the latter has been dealt with in forthcoming legislation) of LED headlamps has been launched by the government:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/apr/02/uk-government-review-headlight-glare-drivers-complaints

3 hours ago, Lebro said:

I wish a distinction could be drawn between LED headlights, & HID ones (which are much brighter) 

Bob

I’m not sure about that Bob, my LED ones are pretty bright. The reflection back off road signs is just as bright if not brighter than the lights on my daily driver with HID lights. 

Rgds Ian

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that this needs looking at but add that some modern rear lights can also cause glare to following traffic, especially on those modern cars with full width LED light bars across the back.  When they brake as well it’s just blinding.

I similarly find the quantity, brightness and frequency of parked police vehicles to be an issue.  Yes they’re there to get noticed and make you slow down but with so many lamps flashing they’re far too blinding.

That MSN link of Keith mentions Specsavers anti glare driving glasses.  While browsing in M&S a couple of weeks ago I noted that their in house section of glasses included ranges of anti glare driving glasses so they are about.

Edited by PaulAnderson