I use my sat nav  every day because it is easy to read and tells me the route. Also my TomTom, via 120, tells me the speed limits and is quick to look at and then back to the outside road, which makes it safer than checking the speedometer on my VW Passat.

Recently the TT  battery has failed and will not support a charge. Has anyone here changed the battery on a TomTom via 120. I have watched two uTube showing how to do it but I can not find a correct uTube for the Via 120.

I would like a link to the correct model and some feedback on the quality of the new batteries.

Please help,  Richard & B

• 1 month later...

Richard

Do you have smart phone ? I use the Tom Tom Go app, it has all the functionality of a TT 

I have used this for years in TR for my Le Mans trips as well ;)

16 hours ago, Clarkey said:

Do you have smart phone ? I use the Tom Tom Go app,

Clarkey,

Do you have to pay a yearly subscription for the TomTom app ? I’m sure I read somewhere it cost about £20 per year.

Being a cheapskate I use the “Here we go” app. It’s free and you can download the maps to the phone so you never need to be connected to the internet to use it.

---------

Just a side note,(and totally off topic.) I wish you would not show that picture of your TR6. It’s not the car that upsets me, it’s the immaculate weed-free gravel that it sits on.

How do you keep it so clear?

---------

Charlie.

Being a cheapskate like Charlie I use waze it’s free and like Tom Tom you get to see some interesting roads and routes at times :D

I use Waze in my Android powered car satnav / radio / reversing camera setup.  If you can connect to wifi (Mobile hot spot from your phone) then it knows all about traffic, road closures etc, & can automaticaly re-route to avoid them

Bob

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

...I use Waze in my Android powered car satnav / radio / reversing camera setup...

Bob,

Is that something fitted to the car when you bought it, a quality replacement, or one of the many very cheap Chinese units from eBay?

I ask because I’ve just bought a new car with a rather older radio and thinking of getting one of the cheap Chinese versions.

Charlie.

Waze for me. I took a bit of time to be converted but I find it very good.

It’s interactive in so much that all the info is contributed by users in real time thus the info is fairly exact and up to date. Some of the contributions by the local herberts can be a bit wearing. I never use it with sound - and never make any contributions myself which is probably a bit asocial.

james

I have an old TomTom for the Volvo (not fitted with a built in one as its Police spec and they have their own) but if a traffic report comes up then I switch to Waze as its very good at re-routing in real time.

Stuart.

Chinese type !

I bought this one,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125111135871

as it exactly fitted the 1½ din aperture in my Jeep's dash. It is a 1 DIN unit, which I fitted into this adaptor

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373933387773

This is the camera I got for reversing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225882120374

And these remote controls for it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225185459124

It came with Google maps as the default satnav, but Being Android you can download apps as if it was a phone, so I downloaded Ways, which I think is better suited for car navigation.

I am pleased with it, the screen is a bit small, but that was my choice to fit it neatly in the dash. You can get ones with bigger screens, but still use 1 DIN mountings.

6e63e491-fa51-4314-99d6-15a9f9f1bb7d.thumb.jpg.8f07589b6d1136895bd2da506efc2db2.jpg fcc31b1d-0e49-457f-b126-25339eb7ae92.thumb.jpg.a31270f521d46b4451abc9a9d74de486.jpg 71d684a6-d074-4707-b960-bb285146e4cf.thumb.jpg.b364facc2dedb1282b16d274bd6710f8.jpg

4a36e11f-09a8-4136-aeb6-f8527e05401c.thumb.jpg.9721d14276fad7bafad5bcf081b44abe.jpg 98e9a2c6-cafd-4ffb-87be-d91c04cd0c41.thumb.jpg.7e37fa2a9d771b88ddb0eb336d25a56d.jpg 6d2e7111-37ca-4669-89e2-2708f8ee5b8e.thumb.jpg.b2b8243a9d29fb786d1bc3df72bf1b00.jpg

Bob

Edited by Lebro

Thanks for that Bob.

I might start a new thread asking for peoples views on the Chinese types. There seems to be 101 variations on eBay!

1 1/2 DIN eh ... Never knew such a thing existed.

Charlie.

On 12/19/2023 at 4:15 PM, Richardtr3a said:

I use my sat nav  every day because it is easy to read and tells me the route. Also my TomTom, via 120, tells me the speed limits and is quick to look at and then back to the outside road, which makes it safer than checking the speedometer on my VW Passat.

Recently the TT  battery has failed and will not support a charge. Has anyone here changed the battery on a TomTom via 120. I have watched two uTube showing how to do it but I can not find a correct uTube for the Via 120.

I would like a link to the correct model and some feedback on the quality of the new batteries.

Please help,  Richard & B

You are of course aware that the charger is designed for vehicles with negative earth.    My friend plugged his satnav and charger into his positive earth Dart and fried the two gadgets.

Did a swap on my Tom Tom last year with an eBay battery. Different model to yours. I assume that all basically the same with a case that is difficult to separate ,then circuit boards that are held to the case with ‘loctited’ screws. The battery to board connector unclips but watching the  youtube videos first was a great help. So far the battery has lasted about a year with light use. The battery was under £5, and needed to be charged via the cigarette lighter socket.  I would do it again