TR5 gearbox weight

Hi, after a bit of guidance and peoples thoughts , on my TR4A I have the weight attached to the back of the overdrive/gearbox as per photo, believe it was triumphs attempt to stop vibrations, harmonics etc , on the TR5 I have there is no Weight on the back of the gearbox, I do have a spare weight I could attach, is there any benefits to fitting it. Wondered whether the 6 cylinders didn't have them fitted as engine was more balanced 

any thoughts 

Thanks Dave 

423DAE7F-0C1C-4505-8B3F-211F352B9EC2.jpeg

Hi Dave,

interesting question, I have this issue with a friend.

I never had that weight on my 4A gearbox and never missed it.

But a steel strap 25x5 mm from the rear gb fixing up to the gb cover.

Looks like handmade from a blacksmith….

My friends 4A suffers from bad rattle of the shifter lever, it doesn’t have the steel strap and not the weight.

He added the weight for a noticeable high price on recommendation - with no improvement at all!

Now I made him a strap at my workshop, but sadly it’s too cold for him to fit and test it…

Ciao, Marco 

ADCreHcbLVBPAHWpXo-TdzT0QLnAo7Hh3glqGBdF

Edited by Z320
5 minutes ago, RogerH said:

I thought the problem was was on the TR4A

Roger

It was, they usually only fitted the weight if someone complained but the strap is to prevent fractures on the extension housing.

Stuart.

6 hours ago, Z320 said:

2 hours ago, stuart said:

……but the strap is to prevent fractures on the extension housing.

Stuart.

ADCreHcbLVBPAHWpXo-TdzT0QLnAo7Hh3glqGBdF

I have 2 straps like the one in Marco’s photo, one on each side, on my race TR6 which has a raised quick shift, but it’s to prevent breaking the extension housing, as Stuart says. I fitted it in response to a fellow racer doing exactly that, broke the back of the extension, but he was renowned for being rough as a bear’s a___. Prevention is better than a cure. 
Dave McD

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Marco,

your strap looks like mine - the blacksmith must have been busy.

Moss do not show the weight or strap. 

Roger

Hmmm

Agreed no weight is acknowledged in the artwork.   The strap is there though including the late TR6 item for the J type od.

IMG_2195.jpeg

IMG_2196.png

I have one of these weights that I fitted to the 4A. Not only did it make more vibration but hit speed bumps because it hangs down underneath. Back in the 1960's roads were generally flat. These days there are speed bumps everywhere. There is a rubber innards and a metal tube core that protrudes beyond the rubber core. The clamp at the top and the nut on the bottom may need a spacer washer so they clamp on the metal tube in the centre. From the clamp the smaller strap attaches to the bottom of the strap shown in Marco's photo. This stops it working its way off the back of the gearbox. From my experience it was not something I would fit.

Keith

14 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Marco,

your strap looks like mine - the blacksmith must have been busy.

Moss do not show the weight or strap. 

Roger

No doubt, it is original!

Anyway it looks like made by a blacksmith 

:lol:

If its just a sizzling gear lever looking at the parts lists, the later TR4a's and the TR5's had a plunger in the end of the gear lever to obviously stop the sizzling, on my 5 the plunger wasn't loose in the lever and so sizzled, had quite a job to to get it out and fit new one.  Maybe this part might solve the problem?

John