TR6 Gearbox Cover Filler Hole Position

HI all, for various reasons removing/refitting my gearbox cover and all that it entails is a nightmare, so does anyone have the exact dimensions of the position to drill the hole through carpet/cover in order to top up gearbox from inside the car? The car is a 1974 US imported, converted to RHD with J type overdrive fitted, and filler plug is on the LHS (kerbside), or am asking for the impossible?

Best regards, and thanks Colin.

I can't help with the exact position to cut a hole in the cover to access the gearbox oil filler plug, but....

The best solution is to fit the Racestorations two piece cover. This has access points for the filler plug, the speedo angle drive and the propshaft flange. The rear half of the cover can be removed while leaving the H-frame centre console in place. This saves a lot of time when needing to get to the overdrive solenoid. This cover is not cheap, but it's well worth the money in my opinion. It proved its worth when I recently needed to change the speedo angle drive. 

Nigel

+1

Only thing it lacks is a hole to give access to the top bolt of the starter motor which is otherwise hard to access which is easy enough to cut and fit a suitable bung. Otherwise a good fit.

Andy

260mm from bulkhead flange to centre of hole (not to edge of hole as shown in very rough drawing ),50 mm up from gearbox cover side flange to centre of hole. 50 mm dia hole .Rubber grommet used to cover hole . Chris

IMG_1186.jpeg

Edited by heckler

Here's a pic of access hole on my 74. Sorry I don't have exact measurements at hand, but picture is pretty obvious where.

Did this 7-8 yrs ago. Used a smaller hole saw to drill locating hole, than larger hole saw over that hole that aligned with filler plug.

I find an 8 point socket works best on square head filler plug.

100_4162.jpg

Edited by Atl TR6

I went one step beyond adding a hole to access the fill plug. Recently, when installing new carpets, I cut a flap (about 3"X4") in the carpet to make access easier. The edges were bound and is not very visible because of the location. The A type OD installed has never been leak free and I check the oil level frequently. A hex head brass 3/8" NPT plug is used.

Berry

5 hours ago, dingle said:

I went one step beyond adding a hole to access the fill plug. Recently, when installing new carpets, I cut a flap (about 3"X4") in the carpet to make access easier. The edges were bound and is not very visible because of the location. The A type OD installed has never been leak free and I check the oil level frequently. A hex head brass 3/8" NPT plug is used.

Berry

I agree, having to remove the H frame to lift the carpet in order to get at the access hole sort of defeats the original purpose.

Thanks to all for the dimensions, photos and advice. I have a few additional questions questions please:

1. Dingle, I like the idea of the 3" x 4" flap, but how did you bind it, I have no binding tools. Is there an alternative perhaps?
  2. Is a 50mm diameter hole enough to allow the hand to reinsert the plug when refitting, otherwise how do you get it to reengage?

Cheers, Colin.

Colin-I use a 6" extension and socket to insert the plug. Cutting&binding the flap was done when new carpets was being installed. Doing it with the carpet in place would be more challenging.  If the carpet is out of the car, an upholstery shop would do the binding for a small fee or maybe some sort of glue would work.

Anyway, I think the project for accessing the fill plug is well worth the effort.

Good luck, Berry

On 11/29/2023 at 4:56 PM, dingle said:

Colin-I use a 6" extension and socket to insert the plug. Cutting&binding the flap was done when new carpets was being installed. Doing it with the carpet in place would be more challenging.  If the carpet is out of the car, an upholstery shop would do the binding for a small fee or maybe some sort of glue would work.

Anyway, I think the project for accessing the fill plug is well worth the effort.

Good luck, Berry

OK thanks Berry, all understood. I guess a small ball of mastic in the bottom of the extension socket would stop the plug from falling out whilst inserting or removing as well? Cheers, Colin.

20 hours ago, bob-menhennett said:

A bit of Gaffa / Gorilla Tape ( half on the socket , other on the extension bar ) or a bit of BLU TACK is a lot less messy than mastic.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I should have said "Dum-Dum" and not mastic, but you are totally  right

Col