How to finish off bumper holes following bumper removal

Thanks to Toby, I've finally got round to removing the front bumper (rear to follow) and am wondering what's the best way to finish off the mounting holes that are left. I was going to bolt back through with a large (ish) washer to make it look a bit more finished off.

What do people generally do ?

Surprised it's taken me this long - I ran my Fulvia for 15 years without bumpers and never had any scrapes. It had nice little teardrop covers for the mounting holes.

Oh - and anyone got a decent front spoiler they don't want whilst I'm reverting to boy racer mode ?

Picture 605.jpeg

Edited by Jonny TR6

Snap-in panel plugs are used to close off unwanted holes in electrical panels - would those do? :

clanger.jpg.dd2960a39d4352e08894a5ca17a24cc4.jpg

Edited by RobH

They would, thanks Rob - any necessity from a rigidity perspective to have the front valance bolted to the chassis though, as it would be with the bumpers mounted ? 

Edited by Jonny TR6
2 hours ago, Jonny TR6 said:

They would, thanks Rob - any necessity from a rigidity perspective to have the front valance bolted to the chassis though, as it would be with the bumpers mounted ? 

Leave the bumper irons in for support definitely and finish with a Stainless bolt and a large stainless washer or fit a Towel rail for the number plate.

Stuart.

photo0718.jpg

Edited by stuart
3 hours ago, stuart said:

Leave the bumper irons in for support definitely and finish with a Stainless bolt and a large stainless washer or fit a Towel rail for the number plate.

Stuart.

photo0718.jpg

Thanks for confirming Stuart - I was minded with that exact solution, but will dispense with the towel rail and bolt the number plate to the valance.

Jonny, I used full length strips of 3M double sided tape (the thick padded type) to stick my license plate directly to the valance, rather than putting bolt/screw holes through. 

Useful if the plate is an ally one (rather than a plastic one), so you can bend it gently in the middle to follow the bend in the valance a bit more.

I tried a few dome headed bolts and washers to dress up the bumper bolt, but not found something nice so far.

Also would like to cover the bumper bracket holes, although I think the UK cars have the indicators there?   

The look of the license plate at an angle isn't as nice as it could be (Stuart's looks better now that I see it).

IMG_0961.JPG

Edited by BaulyCars

Good thinking on the 3M Toby - got a few reels of it in the workshop. Not too worried about the nr plate at an angle, potentially tempted to run with out it and see if I get pulled...

It looks fine on this car

Image.thumb.jpeg.5314ea409bd7aad0b95e3beeec9884be.jpeg

Goodness - I'll be going all Shelby at this rate with a big double stripe down the middle - what have you started !

Rear bumper off - very easy to get the 4 bolts out. Took me about 10 mins. One think I hadn’t factored in was what to do about the number plate light on the rear. Any clever ideas from anyone ?!

56799198-17BE-4FF4-BB4E-ACAE654424D4.jpeg

Edited by Jonny TR6
On 11/14/2023 at 7:34 PM, Jonny TR6 said:

Yikes Blue - that’s a Fanalone !

Your chum is a lucky chap.

Yes.  It has been a life long dream for him to be a custodian of such a car.

FHYRsXeXMAM7GH8.jpeg

151697480_262776448559850_340712759636060793_n.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Jonny TR6 said:

Rear bumper off - very easy to get the 4 bolts out. Took me about 10 mins. One think I hadn’t factored in was what to do about the number plate light on the rear. Any clever ideas from anyone ?!

Bolts for the number plate that have lamps in them

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266323352129?hash=item3e021bda41:g:ygYAAOSwHE5kFYDl

15 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Bolts for the number plate that have lamps in them

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266323352129?hash=item3e021bda41:g:ygYAAOSwHE5kFYDl

Thats what I had on my 4a when I ran without bumpers, swap the original plastic bolts for them. If you look you can get them in chrome which look better.

Stuart.

photo0720.jpg

On 11/15/2023 at 10:54 AM, Jonny TR6 said:

Good thinking on the 3M Toby - got a few reels of it in the workshop. Not too worried about the nr plate at an angle, potentially tempted to run with out it and see if I get pulled...

It looks fine on this car

Image.thumb.jpeg.5314ea409bd7aad0b95e3beeec9884be.jpeg

Goodness - I'll be going all Shelby at this rate with a big double stripe down the middle - what have you started !

It’ll go faster with just the one Stripe but make sure it’s BIG:P

IMG_4170.jpeg

IMG_4171.jpeg

20 hours ago, Jonny TR6 said:

The later TR6 (CR/CF) had the number plate lights in the upper surface of the recess in the rear panel and not on the bumper see - https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/valance-rear-with-holes-xkc1814.html?assoc=123487

Dave

3 hours ago, DaveB66 said:

The later TR6 (CR/CF) had the number plate lights in the upper surface of the recess in the rear panel and not on the bumper see - https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/valance-rear-with-holes-xkc1814.html?assoc=123487

Dave

Thanks Dave - very interesting and a good solution. Will need some cutting out with a dremmel and tricky to reverse if the need arose.

Ordered the bolt style (£3.49 so what’s to lose) but may well revert to your suggestion.

On 11/16/2023 at 4:36 PM, DaveB66 said:

Dave

Well - as luck would have it, when my car was restored it had some new panels and the rear valance and panel was the one shown here. The previous owner had covered up the holes with blanking panels, which I hadn’t noticed, so it’s ripe for a set of the later number plate lights.

I’ve ordered these and will fit mid week.

The number plate bolt/lights have arrived and are now surplus to requirements, but I’m sure I’ll find a use for them.

Looking better already having moved the number plate up

IMG_7354.jpeg