Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of making a PCB (printed circuit board)  For an OD logic box.

My method is a little bizaare in the I use a fairly big milling machine to cut the gap between the copper tracks. Gap apprx 0.010" wide

I use a black & white print out of the PCB to allow a pointer trace where the cutter is going.  It is actually a very manual PCB CNC machining method.

It takes about 5 minutes to cut the board.

However after many years of success today the printer is making the print out apprx 0.050" bigger over apprx 2" This is not good.

I do have a 3018 CNC frame but my PCB software does not talk to it. Hence the  manual approach

Tomorrow I'm sure a really easy answer will appear from nowhere

Roger

OK,

Milling machine

Printed circuit board with plain copper

Attached a paper print out of the PCB next to the vice on the mill

A pointer runs along the gap in the track on the print out  as a cutter is run along the copper.

Sadly the paper print out is a tad too big.

I'll try and post a pic

Roger

P1070245a.jpg

P1070246a.jpg

P1070247a.jpg

P1070248a.jpg

P1070249a.jpg

Edited by RogerH

Roger,

I’ve built a couple of CNC milling machines from scratch over the years and spent a lot of time trying different bits of software to do various things. (The first one was in the 1990’s when there was a lot less choice in how to drive the things.)

I guess that your PCB software can produce some sort of file, and the CNC needs a different sort of file. It should not be too difficult to do a translation.

What is the PCB software you are using?

Just found this. Might help.

Charlie.

Edited by Charlie D

If the printout is too big, that can only be due to a setting either in the print menu or in the printer driver Roger.  Is the scaling for both set to 100%? 

Is the paper size set to A4 and not a US size? 

Edited by RobH

Ahh thank you Roger.

That has stirred my memory of using a pantograph engraver as an apprentice to recut oil grooves in re white metalled torque meter thrust pads of the RR Dart engine reduction gear housing.   They set the end float of the lay gears and the oil pressure within them was used to derive a torque measurement.  That was a simple trace and engrave job similar to your pcb, exactly the sort of entry level machine shop job an apprentice could do, so long as you did not mess with the settings.    If you did you had to re white metal the wrongly engraved thrust pads.     The pantograph of course could be set to multiply or divide the engraving of the outcome from the original being traced.   Weird machine with exposed round drive belts that you kept your fingers away from.  Sharpening the cutters was another task you learnt if you crashed through the white metal and touched the steel cup with the cutter tip.

13 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Weird machine with exposed round drive belts that you kept your fingers away from.

Yes they had those where I worked. Creepily reminiscent of those old dentists drills (shudder) 

1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

Roger,

I’ve built a couple of CNC milling machines from scratch over the years and spent a lot of time trying different bits of software to do various things. (The first one was in the 1990’s when there was a lot less choice in how to drive the things.)

I guess that your PCB software can produce some sort of file, and the CNC needs a different sort of file. It should not be too difficult to do a translation.

What is the PCB software you are using?

Just found this. Might help.

Charlie.

Hi Charlie,

thanks for that. I have been looking at You Tube but have seen the above.  It is clearbut a lot togo through.

My Software (ExpressPCB) does not have the Gerber files) but am reluctant to change.

Roger

I presume you are printing with a regular printer from your PC?

I had this with my laser printer giving different colour balance to what it normally did.

I discovered the printer had somehow appeared twice in the hardware and printers section of W10 and changed the default one.

Presumably the drivers/settings were subtly different. Worth a check.

1 hour ago, RobH said:

If the printout is too big, that can only be due to a setting either in the print menu or in the printer driver Roger.  Is the scaling for both set to 100%? 

Is the paper size set to A4 and not a US size? 

Hi Rob,

I would like to state that you are a Genius (or I am a true dimwit).

Not sure how it cam about but the printer was set (deep within) to an odd size,  not A4.  This is now selected  and it is spot on.

Thank you

Roger

Amazed at what you folk get up to in the man shed.

I profess I wouldn't have a clue! 

Anyone building a moon rocket?

Andy 

28 minutes ago, RogerH said:

They shall inherit the earth

Only if they follow the gourd - or maybe the shoe ?  

And what about the cheesemakers? 

Edited by RobH
2 hours ago, PodOne said:

...Amazed at what you folk get up to in the man shed...

I’ve just finished making a self propelled glockenspiel (MIDI operated) and am thinking of building a beer bottle organ.

But then I think …

“Why? What will I do with it?”

SmallGlok.jpg.9c9cf5326a8f6073c4fcab3b6f711a68.jpg

3 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

I’ve just finished making a self propelled glockenspiel (MIDI operated) and am thinking of building a beer bottle organ.

But then I think …

SmallGlok.jpg.9c9cf5326a8f6073c4fcab3b6f711a68.jpg

Ah ! That was the inspiration for the " Mouse Organ " kit I produced a few years ago.

I designed the kit because I'd just finished the CNC machine and wanted to do something productive with it.

1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

Does everything need to have a logical purpose?

Back in the 1970s I made my most useless creation - it was about a 4 inch cube, with no visible controls. If picked up it played the national anthem (badly) until it was put down again.

Pete