Electric brake servo.

Just wonder if anyone has had experience with this concept. I have an aftermarket traditional vacuum servo brake unit that I'm about to fit to my TR4A, but saw this and wondered if anyone has fitted one.

Electric Vacuum Pump.jpg

56 minutes ago, rogerowen said:

Just wonder if anyone has had experience with this concept. I have an aftermarket traditional vacuum servo brake unit that I'm about to fit to my TR4A, but saw this and wondered if anyone has fitted one.

Electric Vacuum Pump.jpg

Be wary of insurance, no previous fitments to give accreditation, all down to you .

Mick Richards

One of the guys in here with a 6 has an electric vacuum booster from an Audi so he might know the setup 

Stuart 

Most electric vacuum pumps, as in your pic, are used in conjunction with the traditional vacuum brake booster when adequate/prolonged vacuum is not available from  performance "cammed" engines....Don't see the need for an additional electric vacuum pump on our TR's...Some guys have used a larger booster, eg. Volvo twin diaphram [involves some fabrication].

The old skool way of providing extra vacuum was to fit an electric vacuum pump with a pressure switch to operate, a relay and smallish additional vacuum storage tank.

Edited by Malbaby

The Volvo servo would take a fair bit of modification on a TR4a as it would really need a swap to the 5/6 pedal set up and the dual circuit brake plumbing

It’s pretty straightforward to fit aftermarket servo into the single circuit 4A brake system and use the engine vacuum to power it. Kits are readily available and cheap. There were more expensive options with genuine Girling servos but they are much harder to find these days.

If you use an electric server pump you will still need a servo and plumbing. If you are concerned about running out of vacuum, you could use a reservoir tank as fitted to some of the Triumph saloons.

The lack of vacuum is not much of an issue on the 4 cylinder cars. More so on the 6 because of a restriction on the diameter of the servo, however the diameter of the remote servo is greater and already offers more assistance. Additionally the wilder cams and even the 150bhp cam don’t produce much vacuum to work on the small servo. This is less of a problem with 4 cylinder TRs.

The other thing that gets overlooked is that the servo just makes the pedal lighter, it doesn’t reduce stopping distance. I only put one one the 4A when I was recovering from a ruptured Achilles’ tendon and wanted to be confident I could lock the brakes without putting too much load on it.