wheels and tyre sizes

Hello,

bit of an ignorant question i'm afraid. 

will tr4a wire wheels ( currently with tyres 165 HR 15),   fit a tr3a  (currently with very old wires and tyres  185/70 VR 15)

Well thank you Cleo's Dad,   that was very positive!

Cheers

Dave

13 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

What have you managed to fit in the spare wheel compartment?

Not tried yet

8 hours ago, Smithfire67 said:

May I ask what the handling is like with 185s? Always wondered.

I have TR6 wires with 185/70s on my 3a.  I`ve always been happy with them, but almost certainly do not drive fast enough to find their limits. at a guess they will hang on longer and let go more suddenly.  I have never driven the car with 165s fitted so cannot compare. For a spare I had an old  165/80 Firestone which fitted in the 3a compartment easily fully inflated, but I decided to buy a new 165 and fitted to the same wheel would not go in, so I keep it deflated with an electric pump in the wheel centre, and a bag for the removed 185 which needs to be slotted behind the seats for the journey home with a ratchet strap between the rear seat belt mounts to stop it hitting me on the head. Not a problem if you have a boot rack.

Ralph

1 hour ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I have TR6 wires with 185/70s on my 3a.  I`ve always been happy with them, but almost certainly do not drive fast enough to find their limits. at a guess they will hang on longer and let go more suddenly.  I have never driven the car with 165s fitted so cannot compare. For a spare I had an old  165/80 Firestone which fitted in the 3a compartment easily fully inflated, but I decided to buy a new 165 and fitted to the same wheel would not go in, so I keep it deflated with an electric pump in the wheel centre, and a bag for the removed 185 which needs to be slotted behind the seats for the journey home with a ratchet strap between the rear seat belt mounts to stop it hitting me on the head. Not a problem if you have a boot rack.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph.....is the low speed maneuvering a chore? 

1 hour ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Ralph

I presume your spare is not a TR6 wheel ?

Bob

P.S.  I am running 165/80 on TR6 wheels & very happy with them. 155 on a 4" rim as a spare

On 10/2/2023 at 6:29 PM, dpb said:

Hello,

bit of an ignorant question i'm afraid. 

will tr4a wire wheels ( currently with tyres 165 HR 15),   fit a tr3a  (currently with very old wires and tyres  185/70 VR 15)

Beware of old tyres. there is a date mark near the DOT symbol on side wall.

https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/advice/tyre-basics/tyre-markings-explained

On 10/4/2023 at 8:51 AM, Lebro said:

I presume your spare is not a TR6 wheel ?

Bob

Correct, it is a narrower wheel, TR4 I think.

Ralph

17 minutes ago, david ferry said:

Be careful with the legality and insurance implications of a different sized wheel and tyre for your spare. Fine until you fit it, but once you’ve done that you could be in all manner of trouble.

Yes, covered that issue many times before. I`ll take my chances if it means getting home.

Ralph

I have a Volvo V40 space saver in the spare wheel hole It is a 135/90 x15

Goes in fully inflated with room to get your arm over the top of it.  Painted it silver so it looks from a distance like the real thing rather than something else

Hello all

Just for completness,  i have only just bought the 3a,  it has VERY old tyres and wires that seem less than perfect.  I have a 4A with minilites which i prefer to the wires i got with it

. So by happy accident i have a set of wires with newish tyres that can now go on the 3. Still haven't tried putting a spare in though.

Cheers

Dave 

On 10/2/2023 at 8:45 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Not tried yet

And a bit more info,  The 3a has oldish 72 spoke wires, with a 48  spoke spare wheel - to fit in the compartment i assume. The 4a has 60 spoke all round.

Dave.

On 10/2/2023 at 8:45 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I have 165/80/15 tyres on my 3A . I have a 155/15 fit as a space saver, get me out of trouble as a spare it goes in nicely.