Cheeky quick question…

Middle son is studying in Canada and has set his heart on an Old Ford E250 Van to tour around N America, 2011 model, we did a phone video link and everything looked basically ok(?!) until water dripping under the near side front when engine started running, definitely does not appear to be the cooling system; would the airco drip so much from condensation? - the dripping did stop when airco off. But pipe works hidden from my view…. Should I be be very concerned when first trip will be across the desert to Utah with his girlfriend next week?

Thanks Guys…. 9 he is looking to spend his life savings within the hour..

Could just be condensation run-off,  you often see a damp patch under a lot of parked cars these days particularly when the ambient humidity is high. 

14 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

My son is studying in Canada and has set his heart on an Old Ford E250 Van to tour around N America, 2011 model, we did a phone video link and everything looked basically ok(?!) until water dripping under the near side front when engine started running, definitely does not appear to be the cooling system; would the airco drip so much from condensation? - the dripping did stop when airco off. But pipe works hidden from my view…. Should I be be very concerned when first trip will be across the desert to Utah with his girlfriend next week?

Thanks Guys…. 9 he is looking to spend his life savings within the hour.

Thanks Rob, that would definitely be the best outcome.. airco and heating both seemed to work well, just looked like quite a steady drip to me (and it runs down onto everything in the path..

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/6571286639592345/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

What is your expert opinion on the electric installation?

Good point Stuart, it has certainly been used… But, the little bit that I have seen, that seems standard over the pond; they don’t just sit on the driveway, clean as a whistle underneath with no fluid leaks, pressure and temperatures all look good and fluids clean up to the marks..

2 hours ago, stuart said:

I`d be more concerned about the inter galactic mileage .

Stuart.

That’s only about 14k MILES pa

not a lot for a commercial van.

Hi Tim, he is not so far from you, he is ‘studying’ - although we don’t see much actual evidence of that :huh:! - in London, Ontario.. Do you know it? - the Thames flows through and he lives in Grosvenor St etc….

I’m flying out via Toronto Airport next week on the 7th hopefully to give it a quick check over before he sets off across the desert to Utah, I will be around for a week with a few days work in St Catherine's / Niagara Falls if you are around and have time for me to buy you a beer?

…… This is what they are going to Utah to do, the more extreme the sport = the better…. :wacko:

PHOTO-2023-09-18-18-20-20.jpeg.038845ec535a937ec84eae53bc06f4b0.jpegPHOTO-2023-09-18-18-20-25.jpeg.81e379de9ef16c647277e51f604a5563.jpeg

PHOTO-2023-09-18-18-20-28.jpeg

PHOTO-2023-09-18-18-20-23.jpeg

2 hours ago, Tony_C said:

…… This is what they are going to Utah to do, the more extreme the sport = the better…. :wacko:

Pre Covid I spent a few days in Moab, Utah, brilliant place for outdoor sports!
Ian

• 7 months later...

Hello all,

I’m back for some further advice if possible, he is enjoying the van and putting some big mileage in. However, he tells me that the headlights are getting progressively dimmer.

Could it be as simple as dodgy connections/ earth? -  I don’t know (yet) if they are sealed beam units or, in fact, anything further 

Could be a number of things Tony.   If it's only noticeable for the headlights and they are both affected, it could be a bad connection in the wiring to the headlamp, fuse/ fuseholder or relay if there is one.  If it's only one light then it could be an earth problem but that is less likely to happen on both at the same time.  

If everything is dimmer it could be the alternator drive belt slipping - assuming it is a vee-belt drive - or an alternator problem.  That would show up in time by difficulty starting as the battery wouldn't charge properly. 

(or you could suggest he takes the sunglasses off at night :D)

Not sure about Ontario, but here in BC headlights are on all the time and the bulbs do degrade over time, especially with high mileages. Assuming all else is OK, then new bulbs may fix the issue.

Thanks Graeme, .. he is heading your way… BC (and entering Vancouver by sea) is truly one of the most majestic nature areas I have been privileged to see.

He is planning’ to travel right across the Continent and then sell the van before flying home from Vancouver or Los Angeles. - What could possibly go wrong (How is the current market for quirky old modified vans in BC?) Remember how great it was to be a teenager when ‘everything would work out fine’?