Oulton Park 23rd Sept.

CSCC are running a race event at Oulton Park on Sat 23rd Sept. 
I’ll be sharing my TR6 with my Grandson in the 40 minute Swinging 60s race. A total of 6 TRs in a combined grid of 31 cars, including various Lotus, Sunbeam Tigers, TVR Tuscans, Datsun 240Zs, Porsches, BMW, etc, etc. 

Should be a good day out. All are welcome. If you attend come and say hello in the paddock. 
Dave McD

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great day at Oulton Park today with a few other Redrose members watching some great racing. One of our members David Bailey was entered in the Adams & Page Swinging Sixties Group, after starting at the rear of the pack he made up 10 places the end up 3rd in Class.

Mike Redrose Group 

IMG_9333.jpeg

Mark had a remarkable race, for the last 4 laps keeping a Porsche 944 Turbo behind him with only a sheet of paper clearance between them, taking the flag 0.031 sec ahead. Fantastic performance. 
Well done to Dave Bailey in the race after a qualifying problem causing him to start at the back of the grid. 
My race started well but didn’t finish well. After a cautious early morning qualifying on a very greasy slippery damp track left us 26th in the 31 car grid I made up several places in the dry afternoon race conditions. Then just before the pit stop and driver change I mis engaged a gear causing possible engine damage. Second driver (Grandson Bailey) had to cut engine when oil pressure light came on 2 laps into his session. Race over. Car blathered in oil in engine bay and all left side.
Investigation commences Monday. 
Dave McD

That's sad Dave. probably end your season. Along with my season ending impact damage after being punted off at Donnington in the last race.

Not a perfect way to park the cars up for the winter.

Neil he has been the same ever since he first came out in the 5.

Roy

The right engine mount rubber has sheared completely, probably due to shock of me engaging first instead of third, allowing engine to drop approx 1” on that side. This has pushed oil filter on left against chassis rail which has either split canister or distorted it so that top seal is open which has allowed oil to pump out under pressure. Car was still pulling well until the inevitable loss of too much oil to keep pressure up. I’m just hoping it was switched off in time to avoid bearing pick up. 
Engine was coming out at end of season for a winter refresh but I still hope to get one more race at Croft in October. 
Dave McD

Dave I feel for you. I hope it’s just loss of oil and caught in time fingers crossed for you.

i have found Revington’s uprated harder mounts good on my 3a.

Edited by Hamish

Dave we used to suffer same problem of breaking engine mounts racing Jaguars in the Seventies, went to solid ones in the end. Hopefully its not run a bearing, one consolation it wont go rusty!

Stuart.

5 hours ago, Hamish said:

i have found Revington’s uprated harder mounts good on my 3a.

Hamish, 

Thanks for the pointer to Revington. The website lists them for 6 cyl engine but says “No longer available.” I’ll give them a ring tomorrow. At one time TR7V8 mounts were harder rubber but everyone seems to list same item for TR5/6 & 7V8. 
Dave

5 hours ago, stuart said:

Dave we used to suffer same problem of breaking engine mounts racing Jaguars in the Seventies, went to solid ones in the end. Hopefully its not run a bearing, one consolation it wont go rusty!

Stuart.

Stuart, thanks for your wise observations on my chassis’s enhanced resistance to rusting but it wasn’t a problem I had anticipated tackling in such a direct manner! I get enough oil mist generally from various sources to keep the car underside intact. 

Solid mounts sounds a bit extreme. 
Dave

17 hours ago, Dave McDonald said:

Solid mounts sounds a bit extreme. 
Dave

Well the weight of a 3.8 or 4.2 lump is quite a lot and they were only mounted on the same part that doubled as a bumper mount so it wasnt surprising they would tear out. We also used to have a wire rope strainer from the bulkhead round the front of the engine to stop it going forward under heavy braking.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, Dave McDonald said:

That sounds like a real belt and braces  solution. Thankfully my engine hasn’t made that much of a bid for freedom just yet. 
Dave

It was but as previously mentioned the Jaguar lump is a heavy beast!

Stuart.

Well I seem to have got away with it. 
Changed engine mount which levelled engine up and gave clearance to filter canister. 
Photos show split mount and small split in canister where oil pumped out. 
The dip stick had only approx 1/2” oil showing at bottom.
Had a major clear up of oil everywhere under car and along left side bodywork, suspension, etc. 
Fitted new filter, topped up with cheap 20/50 oil from local motor discount shop. Removed plugs and HT lead. Using socket on crank nose, engine turned over easily without any undue noises. So far so good. 
Turned engine over on starter motor to try to build oil pressure up but gauge didn’t move despite keeping it up for 2 or 3 minutes. Concerned. 
Replaced plugs and HT lead and started engine with fingers and everything else crossed. 
Hey presto, started straight away and oil pressure gauge shot straight over. Ran cold at c. 80psi at idle (1000 rpm) and c. 90psi when revved up to about 3000rpm. Very relieved and very happy. 
Importantly, no nasty noises from bottom end. Ran it for several minutes and all seems well. Phew! 
Will now change to proper race oil (Millers css 20w60) with new filter and next race at Croft, here we come. 
Dave McD

IMG_2213.jpeg

IMG_2217.jpeg