USA TR6 Timing Issue

Good afternoon,

I’m hoping somebody will be able to shed some light on a timing issue I have on my 1974 TR6 USA Import.

I feel that I should, first of all, advise you that although I’ve owned my TR for over 30 years, my mechanical knowledge is almost non existent and I have relied on various garages to keep my car running throughout that time.

I realise that this was, and is not ideal, but fortunately I have recently met a retired classic car enthusiast who has offered to get my engine “purring” along with some small restoration projects.

Although not a Triumph owner he has recently finished a nuts and bolts restoration of a Daimler Dart to concourse condition so I feel that for the first time in over 30 years my car is in the hands of somebody who is not only very knowledgable but genuinely cares.

Our issue is that having checked all the basics to ensure that the car is set up right, it splutters and backfires when the timing is set to the recommended 10 degrees before TDC but when it is set at 25-30 degrees before TDC it seems to run like a dream.

He has checked the alignment of TDC and the distributor and also that it is firing on cylinder 1.

He has also stripped the Stromberg Carburettors where we found a couple of issues but now seem to be at a loss as to where the problem might be.

I’d very much appreciate any help or advise anybody can give so that we not only get my car finally “purring” but also prepare to spend the coming winter months on other projects.

We are not working on a “barn find” as I have spent quite a lot of money restoring the bodywork and interior as well as on the engine.

However, I think that because I am not mechanically minded, but still love nothing more than driving my classic car on a sunny day, I have perhaps accepted a less than optimum performance and reliability from the engine.

That is until my guardian angel came along!

Many thanks

Neil

Hello Neil,

Was the TDC of the damper-pulley also checked? Sometimes the outer ring (the outer half of the pulley) has moved, hence resulting in an incorrect reading od TDC on the pulley.

”Real” TDC is best checked on the piston of #1.

Waldi

Good evening Waldi and thank you for your speedy reply!

We have checked TDC and we will check the TDC of the damper-pulley as you suggested.

Just to be clear, would this pulley be fixed to the main crankshaft pulley by a rubber bond which may have come unbonded and slipped?

Thanks again for your help ….. it’s much appreciated.

Neil

If genuine us spec it has a retarding vacuum capsule on the distributor not an advancing one.   Is the distributor being set static or dynamic?    Ie engine running or not.   10 degrees Bdtc sounds right for dynamic  as the retard capsule pulls the distributor advance back when a vacuum is applied.  Check it running with a strobe light.  The specs are printed somewhere. Maybe in the Bonanza at the start of technical     Max advance should probably be under 32 degree at 4000 rpm.  

Hi Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to email me.

It does have a vacuum on it and I believe it is the original one.

However, a new distributor has been put on at some point which may not be the recommended one if that makes a difference.

I’ll pass your advice onto the person who is helping me out as your suggestion is well outside of my technical scope!

Thanks again for your advice!

Neil

Does your distributor have a vacuum unit?   If so does it point forward (advance type) or backwards ( retard type. 
first image is advance   Capsule points forward 

IMG_5190.jpeg

IMG_5190.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Neil,

Have you made any progress?

The Triumph WSM (“brown bible”) lists which type of ignition is (was) specified. 

Once you have checked the pulley and measure timing at idle and say 3000 rpm you can compare that with the WSM.

Waldi

Thank you both for your recent posts.

We haven’t had chance to investigate further as, although retired, the person helping me has limited time to come up and work on it.

I’ll let you know how we get on next week but in the meantime I’ve attached an image of the distributor and vacuum.

I’m pretty sure the new distributor which was put on by one of the garages is an after market one but I’m not sure if that would cause a problem or not.

Thank you both again for your time and advice!

Neil

IMG_6649.jpeg

I notice the tachometer drive cable is not connected to the distributor is there a reason why?

Do you have the original distributor?   Consider Distributor Doctor doing a full rebuild on it and refitting it.  
Have any of the emission sensors controlled items been removed.  We need a photo of the carb side of the engine to evaluate.   do you want to keep it as originally built? 
I am hoping one of our US contributors will step in here and help as I am wading past my depth now. 
Does you assistant realise that your engine probably has a compression ratio of 7.5-1?  

Thanks again for your contributions.

The tachometer, which was new, broke for some reason when we removed the distributor so I have another one coming.

It’s definitely not the original distributor and I don’t know what has and has not been removed over the years.

When it was brought over it hadn’t been cared for in terms of a terrible respray and random rocker switches for the headlights to replace the broken stork on the steering wheel so I doubt the engine was cared for any more sympathetically. 

I like to keep the exterior and interior as original as possible but in terms of keeping the engine to the original US spec, I’ m not too bothered, as somebody with as little mechanical knowledge as me needs it to be reliable first and foremost.

I realise that I haven’t helped matters over my 30 years of TR ownership by using local garages, even though half that time was spent in dry storage, but I now not only have a classic car enthusiast looking over it but I also now realise that there is an incredibly knowledgable and helpful TR community out there!

Many thanks again!

Neil

IMG_6651.jpeg

Neil

From your photo it looks like you have the original Stromburg carbs, these have the port for the distributor vacuum unit on the underside of the rear carb. This is what should be used with a vacuum retard unit suppling vacuum at tick over only. If this is connected to a vacuum advance unit it will advance the timing at tick over and then then the timing will retard as soon as you try to drive away.

Try disconnecting the vacuum pipe and plug the port, then set the timing to your 10 or 12 degrees this may resolve your issue. It is perfectly OK to drive without the vacuum advance unit to connected as it is only an economy feature for use at cruise.

George 

Looks like the PCV has a vacuum chamber on it which would have been connected to a port on the carb somewhere so that maybe open which wont hep running.

Stuart.

21008922-1976-triumph-tr6-std-768x533.jpg.6b4007ae1ca4c7ae364ee4759e2a0bdb.jpg

Neil

I see from your latest photograph that your rear carb has a plugged vacuum port on the top of its flange which is used for somthing on the emission control of later cars. This will be perfect for your vacuum advance.

George 

Edited by harlequin
8 minutes ago, harlequin said:

Neil

see from your latest photograph that your rear carb has a plugged vacuum port on the top of its flangewhich is used for somthing on the emission control of later cars. This will be perfect for your vacuum advance.

George 

Thats the one for the PCV valve as you can see in my picture, the advance should come off the front carb.

Stuart.

16 minutes ago, harlequin said:

This will be perfect for your vacuum advance.

No no no!  As Stuart says the take-off for the vacuum advance should be under the throttle butterfly so it is shut off at idle.  That one will give a big vacuum at idle which is exactly what you do not want. 

5 hours ago, RobH said:

No no no!  As Stuart says the take-off for the vacuum advance should be under the throttle butterfly so it is shut off at idle.  That one will give a big vacuum at idle which is exactly what you do not want. 

Yes yes yes! The top port gives high vacuum with the butterfly part open, whereas a port on the underside will give high vacuum with the butterfly closed. The idea was that the ignition is to be retarded at idle to burn any excess fuel. 

The top vacuum port is as BlueTR3A-5EKT states for the ERG, if that is not being used then the top port will run the vacuum advance perfectly. Least ways it does on my car.

The image attached is from the TRF blue book showing an early TR6 which has both vacuum advance and retard and shows the plumping.

George 

t6bluebook052.jpg

Edited by harlequin
1 hour ago, RobH said:

OK - Strombergs obviously do it the other way round to SUs. 

Yes Rob that's right, H4/H6 have the port on the underside, it's the position of the vent in regard to the edge of the butterfly that is critical.

George 

My 6 has a USA-spec low compression head (8.5:1) and I  set the static to 18 btdc.   Low compression slows combustion alot in these heads as the squish platform opposite the plug does not createn as much turbulence as the 9.5 heads ( the piston crown is further away in low-c )

If it works best at 20-22 btdc you may even have a 7.75 comp head.

Peter