USA TR6 Timing Issue

Good evening all!

Having worked on the car today, and taken on board all your comments, we removed the vacuum and sure enough the dynamic timing went down to approximately 10 degrees BTDC

We are assuming that if we keep the car in line with its original spec. and fit a Lucas 22D6 distributor with a retarding vacuum we will get close the the recommended TDC

I haven’t run this past the person who is helping me yet but from the various posts I assume my other options are to either fit a 123 distributor or, unless I’ve completely misunderstood, to keep the distributor I have and connect it’s vacuum advance to the port on the top of the front carb?

Unfortunately we didn’t get to investigate further as we now have to resolve an intermittent sparking issue which is preventing  the car from starting but I guess that’s classic cars for you!

Thank you to everybody who contributed and helped solve our timing issue ….. I’ve learnt more about my car’s engine in the last few weeks than I have in the 30 years I’ve owned it.

Thanks again …. it’s much appreciated!

Neil

Neil, Assuming you have a stock, unshaved,USA compression head ( 8,5 or even 7,75 in the final year or two) you need more statci  ca 15-18 BTDC risng to ca 35 ATDC at 3000 rpm. Low comp head have much less turbulence and the flame spread is slowed, hence need for more advance.

The vac advance capsule will come into operation at cruise when the butterfly is less than 30deg open. It improves fuel consumption, but is tricky to establish the ideal extra advance.

The original vac-retard was aimed at NOx reduction rather than performance. Usually with carb butterflies with over-run valves.

Combustion talk from IWE, slides here:

https://supertrarged.wordpress.com/2016/07/21/iwe-2016-technical-seminar/

Like  you I drive the 6 for thirty years without knowing the basics !

Peter

Hi Neil

It's good you are getting somewhere with your distributor issues.

Before spending money on another distributor why not continue running your AC Delco unit with the vacuum advance connected to the top of the  carb, if it works well then that's  great. If the setup is no good run the car with the vacuum unit disconnected, this is how PI cars left the factory,  

As Peter said the vacuum advance is only an economy measure, and the vacuum retard is only to reduce emissions when the  car is idling so you won't notice any performance differences.

George