Fuel Pressure test rig

Looking to assemble myself a pressure tester for my PI 6.

From what I've read I thinks it's straightforward, I need:-

A gauge, glycerine filled, probably 63mm diameter 

Hose barb to connect to the probable 1/4" thread on the gauge 

Length of high pressure fuel pipe

Tee to insert in Fuel line at MU, believe this is 3/8"?

Hose barb and probably a reducing sleeve to connect to the tee, and a cap to blank off spare outlet when not in use.

Does that sound right? Should I worry about bleeding trapped air in the test pipe? Logic says it will get compressed to the same pressure as the fuel "behind it" so probably not relevant?

Thanks 

Sean

Sean, I have a couple of sets i have ordered just waiting for a price if you want one.

Clem

IMG_0565.jpg

Hi Sean, Last time i ordered a kit it was £60 + post. 

This includes adapter, gauge and pipe that will reach inside the cockpit of the car.

This time i have ordered 50mm gauges with a rear entrance for the pipe so I can fit in the dash of my 6 if i need to. they may be a little more expensive but certainly cheaper than what you might pay elsewhere.

I am waiting for a final price probably monday.

Regards Clem

I’d also thought of fitting a direct reading gauge in the dash area but am concerned about the prospect of petrol at 100 psi spraying into the cockpit! 

You could also say the same about the oil pressure gauge so the risk aspect isn’t lost on me.

I’ve thought about an electronic gauge where only a wire enters the cockpit with the transducer in the engine bay.

Regards

Bill 

1 hour ago, Bill944T said:

I’d also thought of fitting a direct reading gauge in the dash area but am concerned about the prospect of petrol at 100 psi spraying into the cockpit! 

You could also say the same about the oil pressure gauge so the risk aspect isn’t lost on me.

I’ve thought about an electronic gauge where only a wire enters the cockpit with the transducer in the engine bay.

Regards

Bill 

Electronic sender to gauge would be safer for a permanent install. At least if the oil pressure pipe blew it would only be very messy unlike high pressure fuel.

Stuart.

Sean,

This thread is your friend. From  @bat10man back in 2006... It's what I installed. The inline test point makes removal very easy. I did a quick check and the part numbers have been superseded. New ones are:

Gauge 63mm 0 -10 bar back entry R.S part number 136-5223 cost £25.20

Inline Test point R.S part number 432-5498 cost £13.87

Microbore hose 1m long R.S part number 432-5656 cost £24.83 - other lengths available.

John C

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Sean,

This thread is your friend. From  @bat10man back in 2006... It's what I installed. The inline test point makes removal very easy. I did a quick check and the part numbers have been superseded. New ones are:

Gauge 63mm 0 -10 bar back entry R.S part number 136-5223 cost £25.20

Inline Test point R.S part number 432-5498 cost £13.87

Microbore hose 1m long R.S part number 432-5656 cost £24.83 - other lengths available.

John C

Awesome, thank you John, the tee is as cheap as anywhere I've seen and I'm a fan of RS but didn't think to look there.

Thanks 

Sean

MacLeesh,

I made my own pressure test guage from a spare oil pressure guage and a length of Aeroquip hose.   BUT, the needle vibrated too much, so I inserted a flow dampening restrictor between hose and guage.    A disc made from soft copper tube with the smallest hole I could manage drilled in the middle.  Probably less than 0.5mm, by drilling from both sides until I could see a chink of light.

That damped the needle very well!

If you have a spare oil guage, a cheap solution!

Edited by john.r.davies

Or just buy the Moss one for a lot more money! GAC1030X 

59 minutes ago, Macleesh said:

Hadn't realised RS charge £6.95 for delivery so Ebay is cheaper for the tee, and in fact everything. Tee, £18, 2M pipe, £10, Glycerine filled 63mm gauge £11.45 (1.6% accuracy) will bang an order in.

Thanks

Sean

From memory I had to use a  bushed down 1/2"  SS ball valve to dampen out pressure pulsations at idle.

3 hours ago, Mike C said:

From memory I had to use a  bushed down 1/2"  SS ball valve to dampen out pressure pulsations at idle.

Was that with a Glycerine filled gauge? I assumed the Glycerine damped fluctuations.

As John mentioned above a copper disc with a tiny hole is an option or ready made snubbers are not expensive 

• 2 weeks later...