Engine cut-outs

2 hours ago, Neil Ferguson said:

Check that the return pipe from the metering unit to fuel tank isn't blocked. 

It’s a new return pipe Neil, but your point needs to be investigated. If it were blocked, do you think a hot pope could cause the cut out?. 

On 5/30/2023 at 1:37 AM, Steve-B said:

new Lucas Sport Coil (+ spare) on way, new Red Rotor on way as well plus new HT lead.

The Distributor Doctor is selling Lucas Gold Sport Coils made in India. Claims high quality…

Yes the foil cap from a bottle of additive is another favourite for getting accidentally dropped in the tank

Check when the engine stops running if fuel is coming out of the line from the tank to the filter/pump. I had this two times within 10 years. The symptoms are the same than yours. The foil is swimming in the tank, maybe for years. But someday it will find its way into the swirl pot of the tank. And then it is a puzzling game. 

12 hours ago, Kenrow said:

The Distributor Doctor is selling Lucas Gold Sport Coils made in India. Claims high quality…

Meh, having worked in India and visited there many times, quality and India aren't usually two words used in a sentence ;) from my experiences...

Hi Steve,

the new Moss 4 pot crankshafts are cast in India and are of a very high quality. 

The only problem experienced so far with them is some machining tolerances that were done in England (must have been a Friday afternoon job !!!)

If you pay for quality you will get it.

Roger

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

If you pay for quality you will get it.

Roger

I completely agree Roger...!

• 2 weeks later...

Right, we’re home last night from a 3 day run to Tiverton for the Coast to Coast tour. Results of all mods is not as encouraging as hoped for all as we had the car inexplicably fail 3 times again in manner exactly the same as before all the work / upgrades we’ve done.

1. First fail was 2h35 mins of motorway driving when it turned off on M5 and we luckily we able to get to hard shoulder at an entrance slip. Had spark, pump sounded ok(hard to hear due to roadway noise), no whoosh from open fuel filler lid. Sat for 40 mins with bonnet and boot open, a TR 2 kindly stopped and we chatted (thanks Ian!) then we were able to proceed further. Had more than ½ tank of fuel, oil level ok, checked spark by removing plugs and there was ample spark!
  2. Second fail was 20 mins later, same symptoms as before but were on semi busy A road where we again sat with bonnet and boot open. Sat again for 20 mins then we’re able to make way to hotel ok where we let it sit overnight, in morning it fired up first time.
  3. Drove it for 2 days, around 1h30ish mins drives each time, no issues at all. Left to sit at hotel both nights, fired up fine next mornings.
  4. Yesterday feeling like it was now just a gremlin we drove 3hrs on A303, stopped for lunch for 30 mins, left bonnet open, all ok.
  5. Then drove 35 mins, it turned off again no warning. Repeat of steps from (1) but would not start even after 2hrs of sitting waiting for Green Flag who recovered car to our house, pushed into garage, unloaded car. 

I am now totally stumped with wife who currently is not trusting our car. Several of the folks on tour kept talking about PI Cavitation but I’ve not a clue if that’s the ultimate issue, nor how to identify & rectify it. As a WAG I’ve also purposely driven (points 3-5) with overdrive off in case some weirdness might have been from that(though never failed us - touches wood!).

I’ve done a set of searches in the forums, but not sure what to investigate to identify? All fuel pressures were bang on to MF and return so I think I can rule that out but I was led to believe cavitation can cause weird. 

Edited by Steve-B

I would have taken an injector or two out and cranked it over to see if they were spraying correctly... I'd guess they wouldn't be as you said you had a good spark. 

You could check the tank for some debris that's blocking the outlet, cavitation is possible, but harder to check. 

Good luck. 

Gareth

6 minutes ago, RogerH said:

A friend  of mine  with a TR5 had similar symptoms and after a lot of head scratching found a large mass of 'fugus; in the tank.

Look in the tank using a fireproof torch and see what is going on

Roger

Yep and silicone floating 

1 hour ago, ntc said:

Yep and silicone floating 

Is this like kerosene fungus in aircraft?   We certainly experienced it when I worked with aircraft fuel system overhaul.  I even had a jam jar with it in for “fun”.  
Search and Read.  Cladosporium resinae

2 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

I would have taken an injector or two out and cranked it over to see if they were spraying correctly... I'd guess they wouldn't be as you said you had a good spark. 

You could check the tank for some debris that's blocking the outlet, cavitation is possible, but harder to check. 

Good luck. 

Gareth

Thanks Peter but when to do that? Now or at next failure ? Given it’s so unpredictable I’m unsure…

Edited by Steve-B
1 hour ago, RogerH said:

A friend  of mine  with a TR5 had similar symptoms and after a lot of head scratching found a large mass of 'fugus; in the tank.

Look in the tank using a fireproof torch and see what is going on

Roger

I’m willing to give this a thought , however the tank was recently removed, acid washed and relined. Since then it’s also had a big bore exit pipe installed and been drained and rinsed with petrol then all attached. 

Steve, is there chance that the “relining” of the tank is causing the issue? I’m no expert on how tanks are re-lined but how is the re lining verified / checked? Could it be coming loose in area causing temporary blockage? Just a thought.

9 minutes ago, Martin50 said:

Steve, is there chance that the “relining” of the tank is causing the issue? I’m no expert on how tanks are re-lined but how is the re lining verified / checked? Could it be coming loose in area causing temporary blockage? Just a thought.

I’ve not got a camera to test the idea thoroughly and the chap who did the work is away. It is an interesting possibility though so I’ll see if I can see down to the new bore…

Steve in your other replies you said you have a good Spark and that you checked the Injectors for a good spray pattern was that done at the side of the Road after you had Broken-down if so it seems it can only be an Electrical Fault,have you isolated/Bypassed the Fuel Cut Off beside the Wiper Motor that may be causing an issue or maybe the Ignition Switch.

20 minutes ago, TR NIALL said:

Steve in your other replies you said you have a good Spark and that you checked the Injectors for a good spray pattern was that done at the side of the Road after you had Broken-down if so it seems it can only be an Electrical Fault,have you isolated/Bypassed the Fuel Cut Off beside the Wiper Motor that may be causing an issue or maybe the Ignition Switch.

I have tested the switch by manually pulling the plunger up and when popped up it works. Can I bypass it by just disconnecting the two leads from it and connecting them to each other?

When it has cut off and I’ve safely come to a stop I am able to turn it to restart but it doesn’t until cooling down the engine bay. 

Edited by Steve-B
33 minutes ago, Steve-B said:

I have tested the switch by manually pulling the plunger up and when popped up it works. Can I bypass it by just disconnecting the two leads from it and connecting them to each other?

When it has cut off and I’ve safely come to a stop I am able to turn it to restart but it doesn’t until cooling down the engine bay. 

Yes join them together.

When the Stop happens again get someone to turnover the ignition and pull one or two of the injectors and see are you getting Fuel.

2 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Is this like kerosene fungus in aircraft?   We certainly experienced it when I worked with aircraft fuel system overhaul.  I even had a jam jar with it in for “fun”.  
Search and Read.  Cladosporium resinae

Don’t know but I have seen silicone used before around the tank sender never a good idea 

10 minutes ago, TR NIALL said:

Yes join them together.

When the Stop happens again get someone to turnover the ignition and pull one or two of the injectors and see are you getting Fuel.

Thanks and will do! Sometimes it can be the simplest things!

PS> I did notice yesterday morning with the engine off the black cover over the connections on rear side of alternator were slightly warm. Not hot, just jot cool, which are (obviously) connected to the coil. That made me wonder…

3 hours ago, Steve-B said:

Thanks Peter but when to do that? Now or at next failure ? Given it’s so unpredictable I’m unsure…

It's Gareth, were you replying to me?

Well the tank I'd be checking now. The injectors when it happens. Its for sure a frustrating problem when it's not really predictable. You have made some progress on the ignition side so at least you can be more confident in that. 

I wonder could the shuttle in the MU be getting stuck and cooling off releases it? Again pulling some injectors when it's stopped will confirm. 

I understand the feeling of losing confidence in the car, you will solve it but it may take some time and patience. 

Gareth

13 minutes ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

It's Gareth, were you replying to me?

Well the tank I'd be checking now. The injectors when it happens. Its for sure a frustrating problem when it's not really predictable. You have made some progress on the ignition side so at least you can be more confident in that. 

I wonder could the shuttle in the MU be getting stuck and cooling off releases it? Again pulling some injectors when it's stopped will confirm. 

I understand the feeling of losing confidence in the car, you will solve it but it may take some time and patience. 

Gareth

Sorry I’ve gotten names backwards-oops my apologies!

I’ve got to figure out how now to make it fail again. I guess having been made redundant recently means I have some time to see if I can force another failure. Gotta admit that I’ve thought of the MU as it was recently refurbished so providing I can make it fail, I’ll pull injectors and check that. And find a LED torch I can look into my tank with!

With the variable pattern of stoppages and time to a possible restarts along with the religning of the tank I think I would be pulling the tank out as Gareth suggests and replacing it. The last stoppage and no start suggests the debris have reach a level where no fuel can pass around the blockage. I'm not convinced that any product can de rust then stick to the surfaces successfully. I suspect the lining will be patchy at best and probably be blistering and lifting off with bits of the lining floating around and  blocking pipes/filters etc down stream

If there is a good spark and the injectors were providing fuel it should start. By passing the fuel cut off wouldn't hurt and running a temporary fuel pressure gauge into the cockpit would confirm that the pressure is correct up to the MU.

Out of interest when she did start was she smooth or lumpy? 

Keep at it I've been there and was ready to throw the towel in but ,then one day I found the problem and it was a good feeling!

Andy