Spare wheel cover ?

Have just bought a piece of plywood for over the spare wheel, and note that it needs 2 small straps to hold the rear down, the front sliding into the 2 rear brackets, just

beneath the fuel tank. But see pic there are 4 holes in the bodywork, the lower ones make sense but what are the top ones there for, puzzled, again.

(same on the other side)

P1090082.JPG

Might as well ask here as I'm in more or less the same boat as Pete with no spare wheel cover or any of the original fittings etc to use a pattern. Anyone have any pictures of how it should all look or DIY solutions would be helpful.

Thanks

Andy  

18 hours ago, pfenlon said:

Have just bought a piece of plywood for over the spare wheel, and note that it needs 2 small straps to hold the rear down, the front sliding into the 2 rear brackets, just

beneath the fuel tank. But see pic there are 4 holes in the bodywork, the lower ones make sense but what are the top ones there for, puzzled, again.

(same on the other side)

P1090082.JPG

As Stuart points out they are studs ..although they might better be called posts. 

The press studs on the rear face have little straps, and these hold the spare wheel cover down, but they need a little slack to get the press stud on. The ones in the top face (as I say are more like countersunk-for-a-screw posts, than a studs), together with a corresponding hole into the covering board accurately positions the board from sliding around. The raised pressing at the sides don't work very well on their own when the straps are stretched loose and when you drive over sleepy policemen.

Pete   

FWIW I’ve been using these studs given to me by a trimmer years ago. I’ve got quite a few if anyone wants any. theyre 11mm high.

Stuart 

5F1EE8CD-F54E-4031-BF0E-2FAA6DEE2087.jpeg

Edited by stuart

I made up a template and used the side of a kitchen cabinet to make a solid level floor, then cut and bound a piece of carpet with 2 straps onto the 2 lower studs as shown. I think it works pretty well

Rgds David

DSC_1283.JPG

DSC_1284.JPG

Andy/Pete,

I have a set of pics taken of all aspects of the floor if they are of any use, but probably better to email them.

Cheers,

Tim

20201228_132555.thumb.jpg.f7964d2509f8ab96ffc2d26ab8924c71.jpg

IMG_5977.thumb.JPG.bdab43c6e151d7668912e02f7660291e.JPG

IMG_6626s.thumb.JPG.cabd8f8c3c6e3ab67562977daf6ebd90.JPG

Just wondering if all covers normally sit higher than the recess in the boot floor sides.  I had to repair mine (TR4) and I have it sitting flush, it didn't come with the side pieces shown in the pictures above. Guess the extra height helps with a wider tyre though.

Thanks

Paul

23 minutes ago, gloide69 said:

Just wondering if all covers normally sit higher than the recess in the boot floor sides.  I had to repair mine (TR4) and I have it sitting flush, it didn't come with the side pieces shown in the pictures above. Guess the extra height helps with a wider tyre though.

Thanks

Paul

TR4/4A just has a flat board, the raised board came in with 250/5 for the 185 tyres fitted to the US market 250s.

Stuart.

My 4a usually looks like this so no need to fix my board down, but now I have seen how it should be done  could be a excuse to have 1/2 day in the garage, a change from decorating.

Mike Redrose Group 

3ACFFEC9-82FF-4060-9E43-B5FE479AE008.jpeg

Edited by brenda