Original tools query & lubricants

My newly acquired TR3A does not have the original tools. I'm looking to put a toll roll together but the picture in my online copy of the instruction book is not clear. There are 3 open end spanners 1/2 x 9/16, 3/8 x 7/16 & 5/8 x 3/4 I think. What are the sizes of the 2 box spanners?. The original jack is replaced by a scissor jack, is it worth trying to find an original (hens teeth)? Are any whitworth/BSF spanners needed?

What are the recommended lubricants? The instructions say Engine 20W/30, gearbox & axle EP90 & grease LM. Haynes manual says GTX, Castrol Hypoy & LM, GTX has come in varying  grades over the years, think it was 20W/50 in 1970's. What to put in the SU carb dashpot?

Modern oils & greases have improved a lot since 1960 so do the various grease nipple really need lube at 1000 miles on the steering? Most others are 6K miles so likely to be annually

Edited by TimG
addditional info

Because the TR's jack lifts the whole of one side of the car, about half a ton, it is extremely hard work, even more so on the driver's side as the steering wheel tends to get in the way.  I tried it once on my TR2 when I was in my 30s, and decided that once was enough!

Much easier to employ a simple screw jack under the appropriate corner, where one is lifting more like a quarter of a ton at most (and if strategically positioned, a great deal less than that).

Ian Cornish

1 hour ago, ianc said:

Because the TR's jack lifts the whole of one side of the car, about half a ton, it is extremely hard work, even more so on the driver's side as the steering wheel tends to get in the way.  I tried it once on my TR2 when I was in my 30s, and decided that once was enough!

Much easier to employ a simple screw jack under the appropriate corner, where one is lifting more like a quarter of a ton at most (and if strategically positioned, a great deal less than that).

Ian Cornish

Or even a small scissor jack, or for real wimps (like me) a battery driven electric pump.

Rgds Ian

If buying or you have  a scissor jack just makes sure it will go under the chassis when a tyre is deflated.   Lots of the ‘Halfords’type are just too tall.

This copy of the TR3 owner's "practical hints" manual (from the late Randall Young's extensive Google Drive collection) shows the barest minimum of tools stowed in the spare tire compartment.

The original jacks are nowhere near rare, and quite decent reproductions are available of both later stamped-hook jack and ratcheting wrench.  I've used mine in earnest and it's been pretty easy to raise half the car.  

One of my current projects is refinishing a TR250 ultra-compact scissors jack for use with my TR3B.  I can't be 100% sure, but I'm 90+% sure this is the jack out of my very first car.

Putting together an original tool kit can be fun, but recognize that a lot of cars -- especially over here in the US -- never seem to have come with a set as comprehensive as some of the books discuss.  There have been some highly experienced TR folks in our clubs who have assembled toolkits for sale to collectors from original bits they've collected or continue to collect.  Dunno if those are still being done as people have gotten older in the hobby, but I'd check eBay for something like that 'cause there are probably ideas to get gotten there.

Definitely don't stop with "originality".  Put together the tools you need beyond what's correct.

Tim,

Have sent you a PM.

Tim

Well, for me practicality outweighs originality. My TR2 had no tool kit so I bought a set of feeler gauges, an open end/ring spanner set, a copper/leather hammer for the spinners, a scissors jack that will fit under with a deflated tyre, supplemented with tubed plug spanner, screwdrivers and adjustable spanner which I already had. Controversially I also added a can of puncture repair slime. Most importantly I took out breakdown insurance with roadside assistance AND here’s the tip of the day, I make sure that the breakdown app on my phone is kept up to date so that if needed I can call them right away without the risk of poor reception preventing updates before the call can be made.

David I am not bothered about originality I just want usable tools. I have some A/F spanners from 1970's plus BSW/BSF that live in my 1930 Sunbeam. The car will not live at home it will be 1/2 mile away so I dont want to put my garage tools in the TR. There is a scissor jack with the car but dont remember a handle. Its getting new Continental CT22 tyres tubless but they will fit tubes as its wire  wheels so puncture goo not appropriate. They should have all the needed parts Wed 30th & booked in workshop Thurs Fri so collect Sat or next week - maybe.

Peter yes rachet straps, resusable tie wraps, wire, string & insulation tape all good for running repairs.

Anyone have oil recommendations please?