Supercharger for TR

I get 6-7psi at 2800rpm, rising from 1psi at 1000 rpm. Not the Moss kit but an old Wade RO34 from 1950-60s twostroke commercial diesel (Commer TS3 ). The 6 feels as if it has had a couple of extra cylinders grafted on, similar to a friend's MGBGTV8. I had planned to fit water injection so It would run on 95RON without retarding the spark, but did not get beyond the design stage.  

Peter

3 hours ago, Tim D. said:

I have that kit on my 6. Running 7psi is cool. Car feels like it weighs half what it does on PI. Only issue is pre ignition. So I run 4psi which is still pretty fun. 

HI TIm sounds interesting looked a good kit all the parts etc from Moss dont know why they discontinued it david

On 6/26/2023 at 8:51 PM, dblenk said:

HI TIm sounds interesting looked a good kit all the parts etc from Moss dont know why they discontinued it david

I think the Holley carb became NLA.  A HS8 SU would do the job, and is simple to DIY tune. Fabricating the manifold is tricky, but if Moss still have them in a warehouse somewhere thay could be put to good DIY use.

Peter

2 hours ago, Peter Cobbold said:

I think the Holley carb became NLA.  A HS8 SU would do the job, and is simple to DIY tune. Fabricating the manifold is tricky, but if Moss still have them in a warehouse somewhere thay could be put to good DIY use.

Peter

Hi Peter,

How is your TR6 ?  Are you still using it ?  If so, will it be at the IWE this year ?

Cheers.

6 hours ago, Peter Cobbold said:

Peter

Hi Peter noted thanks

interested in a chat if you are at the IWE

david

9 hours ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

Hi Peter,

How is your TR6 ?  Are you still using it ?  If so, will it be at the IWE this year ?

Cheers.

Hi Tom,  Sadly its stuck in the garage waiting for grandson to finish fitting the new clutch. My Parkinson's has weakened my muscles such that crawling around under the TR is impossible. So although I know how it could be greatly improved, the plans for water injection etc are on hold.....

Fortunately I am engrossed in new science that I never, ever, thought I would get involved with. See the '90 minutes' thread.

Peter

6 hours ago, dblenk said:

Hi Peter noted thanks

interested in a chat if you are at the IWE

david

David, Sadly I wont be able to be at IWE. My Parkinson's is stable but the weak muscles make work on the TR impossible. And grandson too young to drive me to IWE. Peter

On 6/26/2023 at 9:51 PM, dblenk said:

It's not so much that the carb was discontinued,  you can still by 2 barrel holleys. It is just It has to be drilled so the manifold vacuum can be ported to the power valve of the carb. This is a mod many US tuning know how to do but suspect the setup was not making moss enough to justify getting this done en bulk. 

Tim

On 6/29/2023 at 1:59 AM, Peter Cobbold said:

David, Sadly I wont be able to be at IWE. My Parkinson's is stable but the weak muscles make work on the TR impossible. And grandson too young to drive me to IWE. Peter

Ok Peter understood no worries David

• 2 weeks later...

Is the M62 eaton supercharger the only one that goes with a TR

see a merc SLK unit but doesnt say what charger

Jag M112 are there for 4.2 V8's would they work ????

M62's seem hard to get

thanks

David

Edited by dblenk
15 hours ago, dblenk said:

Is the M62 eaton supercharger the only one that goes with a TR

see a merc SLK unit but doesnt say what charger

Jag M112 are there for 4.2 V8's would they work ????

M62's seem hard to get

thanks

David

David,

There is some info here: https://www.benzworld.org/threads/eaton-m62-confusion.1431384/

The M62 is ideally matched to a 2.5L engine ** . The M45 will work but has to be driven faster to get the same boost and that impairs the temperature and hence 'adiabatic efficiency'. Compressor maps are in this thread: http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/topic/138860-eaton-sced-clutch-control-trigger/

The 112 is much longer and may be tricky to fit especially on rhd TR6.

Peter

** explanation here: https://supertrarged.wordpress.com/2014/12/16/eaton-m62-blower-calculations-for-tr6/

the contours on these maps represent adiabatic efficiency and you want that to be as high as possible.

Edited by Peter Cobbold
6 hours ago, Peter Cobbold said:

David,

There is some info here: https://www.benzworld.org/threads/eaton-m62-confusion.1431384/

The M62 is ideally matched to a 2.5L engine ** . The M45 will work but has to be driven faster to get the same boost and that impairs the temperature and hence 'adiabatic efficiency'. Compressor maps are in this thread: http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/topic/138860-eaton-sced-clutch-control-trigger/

The 112 is much longer and may be tricky to fit especially on rhd TR6.

Peter

** explanation here: https://supertrarged.wordpress.com/2014/12/16/eaton-m62-blower-calculations-for-tr6/

the contours on these maps represent adiabatic efficiency and you want that to be as high as possible.

Hi Peter i have a LHD but will read the info thanks

David

Hi,

today I fixed the tubes in the correct position with the 3rd flange

AIL4fc_m93AEJ9bJaAhoRF8uADnfR1YEDqpKoKD2

WIG tacked it from behind and weldet all around (sorry, no photo)

AIL4fc_T98LJdQXImKBuYezRyEC-oKRQ2VqTmfIW

silver-brazed it

AIL4fc8XsvV7m3jw-ZR_0owxKl2KdmCxnVSqosS_

and cleaned it

AIL4fc8qtbn_-nd0TStwo6crkh9Qgon-iQ0toIUB

lining up of all 4 tubes is OK, better than by welding

On 7/22/2023 at 7:58 PM, Z320 said:

Hi,

today I fixed the tubes in the correct position with the 3rd flange

AIL4fc_m93AEJ9bJaAhoRF8uADnfR1YEDqpKoKD2

WIG tacked it from behind and weldet all around (sorry, no photo)

AIL4fc_T98LJdQXImKBuYezRyEC-oKRQ2VqTmfIW

silver-brazed it

AIL4fc8XsvV7m3jw-ZR_0owxKl2KdmCxnVSqosS_

and cleaned it

AIL4fc8qtbn_-nd0TStwo6crkh9Qgon-iQ0toIUB

lining up of all 4 tubes is OK, better than by welding

Nice arrangement.   You will be making steam boilers next.

I thought this picture was apt for this thread title !!!

16369E5F-F7A0-41B4-8FE7-8A386B1B3131.png

35 minutes ago, dblenk said:

just bought a book on supercharging doesnt say about bending conrods hahahaha

might have a re-think !!!!!!

good reading material though

Allard's book ?

The bible is: https://amzn.eu/d/ghS81TB

Peter

14 hours ago, Z320 said:

Talked to the owner of a Supercharged 1930-ies Alfa Remeo Zagato last weekend

AIL4fc_at6F54xYEsOwW4uNXsEeWZNJ8nwcVjJro

he is very pleased and this motivated me again.

Isnt that crank driven?

Stuart.

On 7/27/2023 at 12:08 PM, Z320 said:

Yes

He made a mistake on page 1 . Compressing any gas always, even with 100% adiabatic efficiency, always heats the gas (Boyle's law). The rest of the book is excellent.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

this project is a very slowly growing plant....

With a very simple tool, a level app for my Iphone and manual with files I made all 4 tubes in one line and 20° angled.

AIL4fc8mo1WglEe1VlPFpILwuwOAeCWkfgmRYt6t

Only the tube of cylinder #2 is a bit twisted.....this will not matter much.

AIL4fc_E0DEXoKy_ZLT-2o5zIFTupzNmz2uZLiMg

While waiting for sheet steel and the steel tube 80/60 mm I gave some thoughts on a front stay to base the forces from the belt to the engine.

My wooden model served me very well for this, all looks nice and easy (I hope).

AIL4fc-i_1fkf7OiGVD4p_C-IvS29FOlcAxADzwc

Yesterday I got a piece of aluminium d=100 x 85 mm from the scap yard for a symbolic 1 Euro, this could be a nice pulley.

Somehow I'm currently scared about the welding job that has to be done - considering my poor welding talent....

I cold give it alway to a workshop - but will it be any longer a DIY project then?

Ciao, Marco