Steering rack gaiter

yes You can!

Mark the position of thenut when you undo it from the ball joint (wheel side), example: give it 1/2 turn and do not rotate it until you tighten it); then turn the rods out of the ball joint.

Then replace the gaiters.

If you install the nut in the same position in the rod you do not need to align toe-in.

Quality of new gaiters is an issue, others will know a good supplier.

Waldi

With simple tools you will not get the ball joint off from the steering lever,

apart from you think a hammer is an adequate tool to do that.

But the tool costs you 10 Euro and the friends here could guide you - to become a professional!

I did mine so must be easy as I'm no mechanic. I didn't ask here how to do it so popped the ball joint which came apart no problem after a bit of heat. I bought new gaters from my local parts supplier to save postage not sure of quality yet. I did end up having to have the tracking re-done despite trying to mark the position with tape. Wish I had asked here first now I know quality of parts is suspect. Regards Richard 

On 2/18/2023 at 9:48 AM, Ernest said:

Hi all

Is replacing a steering rack gaiter a difficult job or can a mechanical novice armed with a decentish tool kit

undertake this?

Ernest

Only use PU type do not use Neoprene as the quality is very poor and they are subject to UV attack. I have used Frontline part number FSG 3012 PU type which have lasted 4 years so far! Moss's ones only lasted 10 months?

Bruce.

Ernest - fitting the gaiter over each end of the rack tube is not easy, particularly when you have spread plenty of grease around inside it - I gave up trying till I got a 1 litre plastic bottle with a cone shaped top which I cut off and slit down the side to make a tapered sleeve- problem sorted in seconds!

Cheers Rich

Hello,

I only use these SKF steering bellows for the TR´s
they don't dissolve after a month in the air.

Have fun
Ralf

SKF VKJP 02000          VKJP02000-SKF