New, Future Project…

Hi All, 

Just thought I’d drop a post in here as I’ll probably need to bend an ear or two once I start the restoration of my newly acquired, 1970 Triumph TR6 PI.  I’m located just North of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.   As You can imagine, a Home Market, RHD TR6 is quite a rarity over here…I was surprised to find one!  It’s pretty rough, but I like a good challenge.   I’ve restored a few TR’s in the past and most recently completed a 68 TR250.   I’m looking forward to starting on the TR6 hopefully in the not too distant future.   I have a 59 TR3A project to complete before then….

I’ve posted a couple videos to my YouTube Channel if you are interested in taking a look at it….

https://youtu.be/tMye65NOGJU

Cheers, 

Tush 

1 hour ago, M. Pied Lourd said:

Hi All, 

Just thought I’d drop a post in here as I’ll probably need to bend an ear or two once I start the restoration of my newly acquired, 1970 Triumph TR6 PI.  I’m located just North of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.   As You can imagine, a Home Market, RHD TR6 is quite a rarity over here…I was surprised to find one!  It’s pretty rough, but I like a good challenge.   I’ve restored a few TR’s in the past and most recently completed a 68 TR250.   I’m looking forward to starting on the TR6 hopefully in the not too distant future.   I have a 59 TR3A project to complete before then….

I’ve posted a couple videos to my YouTube Channel if you are interested in taking a look at it….

https://youtu.be/tMye65NOGJU

Cheers, 

Tush 

A bit if a correction. The PI cars went worldwide except for North America. Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Singapore etc all got the PI in RHD form.

Best of luck with the restoration. My eldest son lives in Downtown, Toronto. We might see the car when we come over to visit him, probably late next year.

Edited by John McCormack

I am sure many know but this is the The famous cheftush on YouTube 

you have helped and entertained so many TR’ers I am sure the TR6 experts on here will be pleased to help. 

His YouTube home is here

https://youtube.com/@cheftush

Chef by trade and a very accomplished restorer and video filmer and editor producer with the rest of his time. 

this will be an interesting series of videos 

David,

Based on what you know now, will the TR6PI project be more or less of a challenge than the TR250, remembering that the latter looked 'not too bad' before you started to strip it, and look how that turned out for you. Maybe with the 6 - what you see is what you actually get this time. Can't wait to see how 'good' the chassis is bearing in mind your comments already and Elin's video of many moons ago where he stripped a 6 and promptly folded the chassis in quarters so it would fit in the skip! Get the 3 done and out of the way so we can become immersed in your upcoming challenge. Looking forward to it. Good luck and we're here to help if there is anything that we know and you don't, which might be a bit of a stretch.

TonyC

5 hours ago, TonyC said:

David,

Based on what you know now, will the TR6PI project be more or less of a challenge than the TR250, remembering that the latter looked 'not too bad' before you started to strip it, and look how that turned out for you. Maybe with the 6 - what you see is what you actually get this time. Can't wait to see how 'good' the chassis is bearing in mind your comments already and Elin's video of many moons ago where he stripped a 6 and promptly folded the chassis in quarters so it would fit in the skip! Get the 3 done and out of the way so we can become immersed in your upcoming challenge. Looking forward to it. Good luck and we're here to help if there is anything that we know and you don't, which might be a bit of a stretch.

TonyC

Hi Tony,  I guess the biggest difference between the 250 and this 6, is that I’m not expecting much from the 6:D

I knew that there were some issues with the 250 going into the project that could be seen, but once the paint came off and the wings were stripped from the tub, it was a whole new ball game….You are correct, I can see more of what is needed on the 6.  Most areas, I’ve dealt with doing similar repairs in the past….some will be all new.  For example, I believe the 6 will need a whole new inner and outer rear valance…not something I’ve done before ( done a 3A but that won’t be much help ;)

The chassis I’m not holding out much hope for….I’ll keep an eye out for something more useable in the meantime.  

Great to have a resource like this to help me out if (when) I get stuck!

Cheers, 

Tush 

6 hours ago, John Morrison said:

+1

spent many a happy hour following these expoits

John

Thanks John, most appreciated.  I’m going to try and up my game a bit and have invested in a better camera set up, wireless microphone(s), and tripods.   I’ll try and show a bit more of the work along the way ( the important bits anyway).  I have new video editing software as well that I’m slowly figuring out….

Cheers,

Tush 

1 hour ago, M. Pied Lourd said:

Hi Tony,  I guess the biggest difference between the 250 and this 6, is that I’m not expecting much from the 6:D

I knew that there were some issues with the 250 going into the project that could be seen, but once the paint came off and the wings were stripped from the tub, it was a whole new ball game….You are correct, I can see more of what is needed on the 6.  Most areas, I’ve dealt with doing similar repairs in the past….some will be all new.  For example, I believe the 6 will need a whole new inner and outer rear valance…not something I’ve done before ( done a 3A but that won’t be much help ;)

The chassis I’m not holding out much hope for….I’ll keep an eye out for something more useable in the meantime.  

Great to have a resource like this to help me out if (when) I get stuck!

Cheers, 

Tush 

Inner and outer back panels are easy to do and the heritage repros are a pretty good fit.

Stuart.

CR526 O 070.jpg

CR526 O 072.jpg

CR526 O 073.jpg

CR526 O 074.jpg

CR526 O 075.jpg

CR526 O 080.jpg

CR526 O 081.jpg

CR526 O 082.jpg

Looking forward to watching you do this one Tush. How is Les by the way and what became of his green TR6. He is a funny bloke

Paul

4 hours ago, Paul Hill said:

Looking forward to watching you do this one Tush. How is Les by the way and what became of his green TR6. He is a funny bloke

Paul

Hi Paul, yes Les is a character to be sure!  His project is on hold unfortunately….I actually asked him if he wanted to part with it as it has a good chassis…sounds like he wants to keep it although I’ve no idea when it will ever get done.  I told Les that I’d help him along the way, but I also mentioned that I wouldn’t be doing the dirty work like stripping, cleaning and painting parts….maybe he will get motivated when I start to work on this 70……

Cheers

Tush