Piranha electronic ignition

Recently I've had trouble starting the TR6, and its getting worse, it used to start with the first turn of the key,

I've been told it could be the Piranha electronic ignition conversion that's been on the car from the 1980s,

I'm going to try putting the points back in next week .

anyone else had this problem?

Cheers Gordon.

Edited by Gordon Bayley
spelling
On 1/7/2023 at 3:49 AM, Gordon Bayley said:

Recently I've had trouble starting the TR6, and its getting worse, it used to start with the first turn of the key,

I've been told it could be the Piranha electronic ignition conversion that's been on the car from the 1980s,

I'm going to try putting the points back in next week .

anyone else had this problem?

Cheers Gordon.

Are you getting fat, blue sparks with the existing plugs?

I'd open an old plug to something like a 6mm gap and test for a spark- I'd expect the spark from a good ignition system to easily jump that gap in air.

Hello,

very often this is a lack of ground connection.
Or the voltage when starting is not sufficient for the ignition system.
Just measure the supply voltage when starting.
The ignition systems are very sensitive to this.

I wish you success

On 1/10/2023 at 9:44 AM, Mike C said:

Does this device use  the original ballast resistor in  the ignition circuit? If so it might have failed.

TR6s use a resistive wire pink in colour in the harness which reacts with the voltage dropping down to 6 volts after starting.

Bruce.

1 hour ago, astontr6 said:

TR6s use a resistive wire pink in colour in the harness which reacts with the voltage dropping down to 6 volts after starting.

Bruce.

Only on post 72 cars. This one is a J plate so it won't have a ballasted ignition system. At least that is what the schematics say and my 1970 does not have a ballast.

25 minutes ago, FatJon said:

Only on post 72 cars. This one is a J plate so it won't have a ballasted ignition system. At least that is what the schematics say and my 1970 does not have a ballast.

Sorry I did not look for that! But has it got the Rotor arm with the brass rivet? I found that that type of R/A failed very frequently with Electronic Ignition but that may have been because I had a Flame Thrower coil?

Bruce.

News so far, a mate came down to give me a hand so we looked at it yesterday, first thing we checked was the ignition and we were getting a good spark at all the spark plugs which I was surprised about.

We thought we would check the fuel injection, taking them out one at a time, after a difficult start using easy start to aid the process. Taking each injector out one at a time we noticed differences in each one, a couple had a good spray, some nothing at all and some dribbling. Inspecting the injectors and taking them apart one by one we found all of the o rings had become brittle, causing different faults; I had some brand new o rings from years ago so we replaced them and then we started the car and it started straight away and it is running better than it has been for some time.

Conclusion is after a difficult start, the suction from the inlet stroke of the pistons was drawing in the fuel that was dribbling in from the injectors rather than being sprayed. 

I am going to refurb each injector in turn with new o rings again, I just need to source a supplier, if anyone knows anyone, please let me know.

Cheers Gordon

• 4 weeks later...