Problem with TR6 Crankshaft

20221006_151210.jpg.1c7528d441d6669fdb7ed03392c23a51.jpg20221006_151811.jpg.43717000ce92003eaf12fd7f1729a4fe.jpg

20220518_131827.jpg.bfa50d2be2d25f12ec11678e63b02bc6.jpg

Hello all

This is something I know very  little about. The thrust washer in my short backed crankshaft  part no:311313 has worn a groove into the side of it., for how long and how it happened I don't know.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be eagerly accepted

Can the groove be welded to the correct thickness then machined? Or is it scrap? What should I do?

I look forward to you knowledgeable replies.

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain

Hi Dave

No expert either but thinking about what I did to deal with a grooved input flange on the diff nose I fitted a SKF sleeve. Could the same be done here?

Welding introduces heat and possibly distortion and the need for machining to correct. A sleeve would avoid the need.

I’m sure someone with more knowledge will put you on the right track shortly.

Andy

just realised it’s the wrong groove ! I was thinking you meant the one where the rear oil seal runs. Sorry.

Edited by PodOne

Same thing happened to mine, there was enough material left to machine out & fit over size thrust bearing.

The only repair is metal spraying, but difficult to guarantee no dirt inclusion where the face meets the journal .

Crankshaft repair companies can offer a service.

Harvey

Thanks Andy, Good idea.

Thanks Harvey the thought of metal spraying had crossed my mind.

Being in Spain makes it more difficult to find theses sort of places and Spanish is not my forte !!

Thanks guys.

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain

Hi Dave

The company that comes to mind is Chase Engine Ltd. they specialize in engine restoration & machining of

classic car parts & engines contact no in U.K. 01782 948 183.

Harvey

Thanks Harvey and Berry I will contact them

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain

Hi Peter,

Forgive my ignorance but  I don't understand your question. I am not that savvy about this subject.

Does anyone have the original thickness of the flange piece which is worn. please?

20220519_093757.jpg.76be6421beb7f9cdbc1187eb3e5e377a.jpg

Hello,

have the surface on the crankshaft reground.
Then have the crankshaft nitrided.
Make a thrust washer from RG7 with the appropriate oversize. Fit well so that it fits well.
So I've made the scon a few times.
Lasts forever. On my machine over 200,000 km! It is also important to think about the cause of the damage.
Too hard clutch soft crankshaft.
From time to time also incorrect assembly :)

Many greetings to Spain
Ralf

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your input.

Interesting regarding Hard clutch possibly causing damage. How can that be rectified?

Do you mean possibly thrust washer reversed.?

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain

16 hours ago, dave-lewis said:

Hi Peter,

Forgive my ignorance but I don't understand your question. I am not that savvy about this subject.

Does anyone have the original thickness of the flange piece which is worn. please?

From my experience the best way to repair that would be to have it metal sprayed with Stellite and only Stellite which will be harder wearing than the original metal. I had this process done to a motor bike Fly wheel/ crank shaft and it was brought back to standard size from -.060". I did 10k miles on it after it was done and never got big end knock back. I went for that process because the company that I worked for also used it on press crank shafts. That in my opinion is the way to go! What size are the journals on the crank? Because it may be economic to have them done as well.

Bruce.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your input. I shall google the name here in Spain.

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain

22 hours ago, dave-lewis said:

Hi Peter,

Forgive my ignorance but  I don't understand your question. I am not that savvy about this subject.

Sorry Dave.   I made an incorrect statement and question.  Have edited my post.

As sated later on you need to consider getting the worn area that the thrusts contact metal sprayed. or larger thrust washers made. 

Metal spraying It is a method of spraying molten metal onto a surface to build up for repair.  Do a search for something like this  'metal spraying process'  There may well be someone near you who offers the service.

On 10/9/2022 at 2:54 PM, dave-lewis said:

20221006_151210.jpg.1c7528d441d6669fdb7ed03392c23a51.jpg20221006_151811.jpg.43717000ce92003eaf12fd7f1729a4fe.jpg

20220518_131827.jpg.bfa50d2be2d25f12ec11678e63b02bc6.jpg

Hello all

This is something I know very  little about. The thrust washer in my short backed crankshaft  part no:311313 has worn a groove into the side of it., for how long and how it happened I don't know.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be eagerly accepted

Can the groove be welded to the correct thickness then machined? Or is it scrap? What should I do?

I look forward to you knowledgeable replies.

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain

I have been told by a local engine m/c shop that crankshaft refurbishment can be done by a company in Lincoln called Lc&m tel. 01522522855. That where he sends his worn undersize cranks for rebuild back to standard size. Hope this helps.

Bruce.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the information you and everybody else  has given me. Due to the logistics of getting my crank back to the UK and the lack of services to repair it, here in Spain I have taken up a very generous offer of a crankshaft from BigJon. Thanks again, Jon. It will be picked up on Monday and delivered to me before the end of next week. I will get it checked over and may or may not need new shell bearings which I will have to source and buy.

Thank you all.

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain

21 hours ago, dave-lewis said:

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the information you and everybody else  has given me. Due to the logistics of getting my crank back to the UK and the lack of services to repair it, here in Spain I have taken up a very generous offer of a crankshaft from BigJon. Thanks again, Jon. It will be picked up on Monday and delivered to me before the end of next week. I will get it checked over and may or may not need new shell bearings which I will have to source and buy.

Thank you all.

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain

Hello Dave from Spain,

I would not bin your old crankshaft as it is repairable! You never know when it may be useful??

Bruce. 

Problem is I am a hoarder. I do not throw things away I  always think I may have need for it. So in the shed it will go "might come in handy some day":D

Thanks again for input Bruce,

Maybe see you next year for the TR Reg European meeting in Coventry

Kind Regards,

Dave from  hot sunny Spain