Thats the TR4 not me.

Need to change the eye bushes this winter, and I'm just wondering about other things whilst I'm on the job.

e.g. What does anyone paint the leaf springs with?

Also I have a slight weep from the axle tube to diff casing, anyone else have this, and effected a cure?

John.

John,

There is a thread on the spring leaf lube between leafs ...or not from about 18 months ago. During the thread I posted that I'd contacted the firm who made and supplied our existing leaf springs and a recorded "on line" discussion with their technical department (which was shown in the post) they stated "we don't see inter leaf lubrication of being and benefit". I can't find my post at present but I'll continue looking.

So it's down to owners to make their own judgement.

regards Mick Richards

Original Triumph rear springs for Spitfire 1500 used to be assembled and coated in colloidal graphite.    We hated them as they were just disgustingly filthy to touch.    

The TR rear spring I do not recall being similarly coated.   The friction between the leaves being beneficial to help the puny rear dampers.

That said I would probably coat the leaf contact faces with a not oily lubricant.  The oil would attract grit and make grinding paste.   That is probably why the interleaf layer was fitted to many leaf springs.

Peter W

Ha found my post.

John this was only January this year (time doesn't fly in this case, I thought it was much further back) when you were enquiring regarding a "spring spreader" you had.

The post

More years than I care to admit since I last spoke to Rubery Owen (now Owen Springs) And when engaged in an on line question forum 10 mins ago (ain't the internet marvellous ) the spring maker said

Actual copy of the on line chat

Question :  (From myself) Hi , back in the day it was recommended that leaf springs be oil lubricated between the leaves to help smooth motion and resist rusting. The counter argument was it caused the leaf to pick up grit and caused wear, which is correct ?

Hi Michael

Hi Dave, can you see my question ?

as far as i know there is no benefit in oiling between the leaves, some say to oil others say not to. We dont see the benefit of oiling between

Won't it help the leaves with anti corrosion ? I know the leaves are rubbing continuously rust build up ?

We dont believe that there is a benefit, but it wont hurt to add grease/oil, but it is personall choice

09:36

OK Dave, thanks for the info.

no problem thanks....

So there you have it, the spring manufacturer doesn't care and doesn't see a requirement for it, do what you want you can't possibly be wrong.

Mick Richards

Edited January 4 by Motorsport Mickey

Hi John

Have sprayed my leaf springs and bushes in the past with PTFE spray, (available from motor factors), to stop creaking noises, put the rear end on stands under the chassis to allow the axle to drop and sprayed into the leaves of the springs, BE VERY CAREFULL NOT TO GET ANY SPRAY ON THE BRAKE PARTS ie DISCS,,

Phil..

Hi all

Ive taken to getting spring Gaitors made and using a very small amount of silicon lube between the leaves (which I push in with a plastic applicator (!) - it certainly cuts down the noise and it felt like it was beneficial to the handling on the rear (on BST82B before the car came apart this year). Now done on 5VC (which is where I got the idea and remains of a gaitor from originally, so somewhere in its past this car had something like that fitted).

Its worth noting that I use an uprated rear shock system on BST82B and 5VC has the ‘works’ DAS10 shocks fitted, so the point on the unlubricated springs helping with damping is worth thinking about as the performance of the standard DAS9 shocks are marginal to my mind, particularly with modern and more grippy tyres, better shocks on the front etc etc If you make them work harder, they will fail faster.

Regards

Tony 

Assuming not already fitted.

Location kit to front spring bushes

Replace shock absorber mounting bolts with cap bolts, does allow much greater torque to be applied.

1 hour ago, iain said:

Location kit to front spring bushes

Replace shock absorber mounting bolts with cap bolts, does allow much greater torque to be applied.

Yes - definitely the Location kit - & also the capheads...even better if you can weld the nuts to the back of the mounting tower (I've got some spare correct capheads if you need them John)

37 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

I wonder if wrapping them in "Denso tape" would work and be cheaper?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Denso-Tape-50mm-Rolls-DENTAPE50MM/dp/B001OXDD6K

Charlie

Yep that would work.  I have seen it done.

1 hour ago, Chilliman said:

Yes - definitely the Location kit - & also the capheads...even better if you can weld the nuts to the back of the mounting tower (I've got some spare correct capheads if you need them John)

Yes,  did that with the body off in lockdown, makes the world of difference.

43 minutes ago, iain said:

Yes,  did that with the body off in lockdown, makes the world of difference.

I fitted nylatron bushes to the rear eyes as well as the locating washers at the front.   That’ll probably stop the axle pushing the springs sideways as well as a panhard rod.