Fuel tap leaking

The fuel tap is leaking, looks like fuel is coming up the stem of the cutoff plunger, I did replace it a couple of years ago because the old one was doing same thing, will the fix be another new tap or are they repairable ?

TIA Graham 

Repairable

New cork

Pain is setting it up in the car as you need to stop the fuel flowing from the tank to the tap

low fuel level in the tank and jack up the front of the car is about the best solution beyond draining the tank 

I did make a few o ring replacement plungers for the fuel tap a couple of years back.  Will seek out the instructions if you want them

Peter W

read here  March 23rd 2021

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
1 hour ago, Ian Vincent said:

Buy a good quality modern tap:D

+1

I fitted a simple modern tap from the outlet on the tank (Note: I have a 3A with a Spitfire fuel tank,[ excellent condition, second hand for £15, and easy to fit.] so maybe the outlet is in a different place on your car.)

I can get to it by dropping back the board in the boot the covers the tank and pushing my hand onto the top of the tank to reach the tap.

An excellent “Anti theft device”.

Charlie.

My TR3A fuel tap is in the engine bay just before the fuel pump. I had leaks and it was difficult to repair. Peter W was still at Moss so it was a long time ago. My repair which has lasted for years was to solder the tap with no cork or sealer and in the fully open position.

It means that I can not turn off the fuel but it has never leaked again. I will have a look tomorrow morning and report back if there any signs of petrol leak.

Good luck, Richard & B.

2 hours ago, Charlie D said:

+1

I fitted a simple modern tap from the outlet on the tank (Note: I have a 3A with a Spitfire fuel tank,[ excellent condition, second hand for £15, and easy to fit.] so maybe the outlet is in a different place on your car.)

I can get to it by dropping back the board in the boot the covers the tank and pushing my hand onto the top of the tank to reach the tap.

An excellent “Anti theft device”.

Charlie.

Charlie,

I also have a Spitfire tank, as my budget didn't allow a500$ new TR3 tank. Seems like a good idea to fit a fuel tap. Do you remember which one you used? Motorcycle?

Thanks

11 hours ago, classic225 said:

Do you remember which one you used? Motorcycle?

Hello,

It was this, a generic fuel tap.

"LMA Competition Fuel Line Tap - 6mm Bore Push On Pipe"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165690465610

Nice flat fit above the fuel tank.

Charlie

7 hours ago, Charlie D said:

Hello,

It was this, a generic fuel tap.

"LMA Competition Fuel Line Tap - 6mm Bore Push On Pipe"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165690465610

Nice flat fit above the fuel tank.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, I'll order one,

Yves

Thank you Peter.

Just checked again on my "Purchased history" ebay page and it seems to be a 6mm that I bought.

If you search ebay for ""LMA Competition Fuel Line Tap" (without the 6mm) you will find a selection of "Ends". so maybe Yves needs to do that.

As far as the position is concerned, the Spitfire tank has the outlet on the top of the tank, so I found that was the best place to fit the tap.

Sorry for any confusion.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

I have just checked my 58 TR3A and the fuel tap is next to the fuel pump down in the engine bay. There is no fuel tap on the top of the tank and how would the fuel flow out of the top of the tank, unless it was pressurised. On the Spitfire tank it could be a breather allowing air in as the petrol flows out to the pump. This may be a typing error and I make plenty of those

Please let us know on the forum here .

Good luck Richard & B

On 9/29/2022 at 5:15 PM, Lebro said:

Replace the cork with a short section of fuel pipe. I did this in 2013, & it still works, & is leak free

Bob

On 9/29/2022 at 5:15 PM, Lebro said:

Replace the cork with a short section of fuel pipe. I did this in 2013, & it still works, & is leak free

Bob

Did the same, think as a result of Bob mentioning this before somewhere. One of those simple but satisfying fixes and it looks the part.

3 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

...how would the fuel flow out of the top of the tank...

Hello Richard,

The Spitfire tank has an outlet pipe that goes into the top of the tank and extends to about half an inch from the bottom. It is brazed (Soldered?) in place at the top of the tank.

The advantage of this is that if there is crud/rust etc at the bottom of the tank it will not flow into the outlet pipe and clog it up. Maybe, sometimes, rust flakes may get sucked into the spitfire pipe, but when the engine is off there is a good chance they will fall out again.

I think the original Sidescreen petrol tap has an inlet at the bottom and an outlet on the side. It would not be too difficult to replace it with a “Straight through” tap, just a bit of different pipe work to the pump, and some way to fix it to the original tap bracket (A couple of tie wraps may well work.)

Here is the link to Demon Tweeks taps of different end fittings:

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/lma-competition-fuel-line-tap-244378/

Charlie.

Hi Charlie,
Thanks for the reply which makes this thread clear to understand. As you can see I have no experience of the Spitfire tank and your clear explanation is very useful. Thanks

Richard & B 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Richard,

The cork part of the plunger can be replaced. I bought a replacement but it leaked. I also made a new one out of a wine cork by turning it in a drill with sand paper. However I found that if you tighten the nut at the end which holds the cork plunger in place the cork is forced to expand and will seal the tap.

Regards.

Des.