Suitable engine for TR6

I am looking at the potential purchase of a Florida-imported '74 TR6 unfinished restoration project.   It has been completely stripped and partially rebuilt but stalled for the owner's personal reasons.  I know buying something in this state is not to be taken lightly . . who knows what's missing?  . . . however, a couple of questions to help me decide:

1. The original carb engine has long gone and a 2.5 PI unit is included with the number MG77019E. I believe this is a Mk 2 2.5PI saloon/estate unit.  Photo attached.

How suitable might it be for a TR6?  Is it technically different from the comparable TR unit, always supposing nothing has been changed?  Would I have to do anything to it or is it a direct fit?  In any case, it would be wise to dismantle and check it over before trying to run it.

2. The engine is complete with gearbox and overdrive. Are the ratios compatible with the TR6?

3. Apart from converting from LH to RHD, which has already been done, what else might need changing to make the car look like a UK model?  Bumpers etc??

Many thanks for all offers of advice.  I need it!

IMG_0999.jpeg

The saloon car engine mounts are connected to the engine front plate but the tr6 mounts to the block so you would need some TR mounts. I suspect the crank pulley assembly may also different. Other than that I don’t think you will have too many problems. Others will know more, I’m new to the tr scene but currently rebuilding a saloon engine to go into my 6 and the above were the first things I noticed. 

The hole centres on the overdrive output flange are different from a TR6 unit so the propshaft flange will require a change. Unfortunately the flange from a TR6 overdrive will not fit the saloon unit.

Or what I did was to get a machine shop to drill  an extra set of holes in the saloon overdrive flange to suit the TR6 propshaft. There is a step on the TR6 propshaft that locates in a recess in the TR6 output flange but as the saloon flange has no recess it looks a little wrong. I decided to try it and keep an eye on things, that was 25 years ago and over 100k with no issues so far.

George 

Many thanks for all the advice.  So much I need to learn!  One point, though, is that FatJon mentions having to change the engine mounts and SWScar shows his engine at an angle.  Is that because it's been fitted with the saloon mounts? 

Looking at my photo, it does seem that the engine is leaning to the left, as in SWScar's installation, but maybe that is an optical illusion.

All further thoughts welcome.  Is the overdrive in my photo an A or J type, and does it make any difference at the end of the day?

14 minutes ago, YRV said:

Is the overdrive in my photo an A or J type, and does it make any difference at the end of the day?

Its a J type overdrive and this typically works on 3 and 4th gear. It has a higher reduction ratio of 25% compared to the 22% of an A type OD, assuming it's the normal one - it could be 28% which is much rarer and comes off some saloon estates - there should be a small rectangular alloy plate rivetted to the other side of the OD casing - the first two numbers are the overdrive ratio so should be 25 or 28, the next numbers after the forward slash are the ID for the vehicle it came from, and the last numbers are the number of units in that series.

If you provide the full number, I can tell you what model it originated from - however sometimes the plates are missing!

Overdrive is definitely worth having, and for a 1974 car, a J type is correct - hope this helps

cheers Rich

If you need any advice PM me i have converted the engine you have into my hill climb car and it works a treat. don't over complicate things but rich is correct if it is a saloon box the output flange will need re-drilling at 90 degrees and the flange married up to the prop shaft. easy to do in a machine shop.  Clem 

1 hour ago, Peter Cobbold said:

The cant on the saloon engine means you will need to recalibrate the dipstick, or fit one from a TR6.

I have 2.5 saloon engines in my TR6 & GT6, I just changed the rear engine plates, that sorts the lean out.

There'd be nothing at all wrong with using the offered saloon/estate engine as it is, but you may want to consider that (unless someone has been there first) the early saloon engines were rated at 135BHP, so you may want to change to a 150BHP cam, and re-calibrate the distributor and metering unit to bring it up to early TR6 spec, not sure but the exhaust manifold may be different.

Cheers Rob