Fuel Pipe

Hi All,

About to run new fuel line from pump to carburettors - my original pipe runs between the thermostat housing and rocker cover ( see pic attached ) - looking on-line most people seem to have it run around the front of the enging and clipped to water pump housing - has anyone else got the same as me? any reason not to copy was was on the car originally?

All help gratefully received as usual.

David

Fuel Pipe.jpg

53 minutes ago, DMRL said:

Hi All,

About to run new fuel line from pump to carburettors - my original pipe runs between the thermostat housing and rocker cover ( see pic attached ) - looking on-line most people seem to have it run around the front of the enging and clipped to water pump housing - has anyone else got the same as me? any reason not to copy was was on the car originally?

All help gratefully received as usual.

David

Fuel Pipe.jpg

Thats not original.Original was as you have seen in others running round under the thermostat housing along with the A/Retard pipe.

Stuart.

Mine runs the same way - was like that when I got the car and has stayed that way, can’t say I have ever had issues because of it.

………. Andy 

In theory running it under the thermo housing means its running in the cooler air stream from the fan, behind it is between hot thermo housing and hot rocker cover.

Stuart.

Andy,

Unless I’m missing it I can’t see any actual support where your pipe is fixed to the engine. It’s fixed at the pump end, because it goes into the pump, but the next place seems to be the rubber pipe.

I’d be a bit concerned that vibration, over a period of time, might fracture the pipe where it enters the pump.

The normal method is to fix it to the thermostat housing via a metal p-clip. Makes it all a lot more rigid.

Charlie.

Run as you have it provides no support between the pump and carburettors and risks a stress fracture due to excessive movement. 
It should be run in front of the thermostat housing using the correct support bracket attached to the bottom thermostat cap nut and the rubber insert to support both the fuel pipe and vacuum line. 

Edit: it looks like Charlie can type faster than I can :)

Edited by Drewmotty
28 minutes ago, DMRL said:

Hi guys - re fixing if you look closely in my first picture mine has a support bracket that goes under the thermostat housing bolt so pipe is held firm 

Doubt that bracket will actually do much due to the length between the bolt and the pipe., it will vibrate.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

Andy,

Unless I’m missing it I can’t see any actual support where your pipe is fixed to the engine. It’s fixed at the pump end, because it goes into the pump, but the next place seems to be the rubber pipe.

I’d be a bit concerned that vibration, over a period of time, might fracture the pipe where it enters the pump.

The normal method is to fix it to the thermostat housing via a metal p-clip. Makes it all a lot more rigid.

Charlie.

Hi Charlie - mine is supported along its path beside the engine - was merely replying to the fact that it ran behind (rather than under) the thermostat.

…….. Andy 

17 hours ago, AndyR100 said:

Hi Charlie - mine is supported along its path beside the engine - was merely replying to the fact that it ran behind (rather than under) the thermostat.

Apologies Andy.

I saw the picture and thought it was yours.

Comment was meant for Paul.

I'm easily confused these days.:(

As Stuart has posted [ no surprise there then ] the pipe goes under the front of the thermostat. See TR2 general details drawing in the workshop manual.

Roy