SCREWS LOOSE

Hi Everyone,

The screws securing the r/h hinge on the cubby box lid have pulled out of the wooden dash. See photo.  What is the best method of re-securing without damaging the dash? 

Best wishes     Willie

P1150622.JPG

Willie - is your dash made of plywood or mdf - the latter are prone to this as they tend to split open along the line of the screws - if so, you really need to glue it and clamp it till it sets, otherwise the crack will just spread. If it’s plywood, comments above will sort

cheers Rich 

Hi Willie

Matchsticks, Araldite, body filler etc might work for a while but not the way a carpenter would do it. Get a piece of dowel about 5 or 6mm diameter, drill out the hole to same diameter, cut dowel to length and insert into hole using wood glue. Once it has set, smooth off top of dowel using a small file, then drill holes for the screws using correct drill size which can be found by measuring the screw and looking it up on the internet. Wood screws need the hole pre drilled or the wood splits.

Keith

1 hour ago, keith1948 said:

drill out the hole to same diameter,

Keith,

In order to get a drill into the cubby door hole I would guess you would really need a right angle drive on the end of the drill.

Willie,

I just so happen to have loads of 6mm dowel that you could have a bit of AND a right angle drive, I'd be happy to lend you if you need it. Plus I'm walking distance from you I think.

Charlie.

Many thanks for the additional inputs.  I will stick to the matchstick repair initially as I'm not dexterous enough to brave the clever dowel option.  I'll keep that one up my sleeve. I have created this  1.5mm pilot hole starter if needs be.              Willie

P1150629  1.5mm drill bit on screw driver.JPG