New purchase

Hi all

I’ve just in the process of buying a 1974 CR and would like to know the sort of spares and tools I should carry with me. I live in Devon and also want to find a good experienced garage. 
any help would be most appreciated. 
thanks

Steve w 

Welcome to the forum. Carry as many spares as you can, only joking. Depends how far your journeys will be I suppose, I don’t go far so carry very little plus you always have recovery to fall back on.

Steve welcome to the forum and good luck with your purchase.

Regarding experienced garages - depending on where in Devon you live, Revington TR could be your closest option, across the county border in Somerset.

https://www.revingtontr.com/ They certainly fit your criteria, in my experience. Very good and very experienced.

Just 20 miles north of Taunton on the M5. Take Junction 24 and set the sat nav for Middlezoy.

Martin

dad used to use this place after he got less mobile for his old cars the last being his Daimler SP250

western garage

Western Business Park, Brixham Rd, Paignton TQ4 7BR

I live in Tavistock , west Devon. I’ve been watching a few buying guides on YouTube and one of them talks about carrying a red plastic bit for part of the fuel system. This can apparently break when restarting a hot engine. I’ve defected over from Porsche and one of the horror tales was the IMS bearing on early water cooled engines. I never met anyone who had a problem and I’m hoping that this may be similar. 
Years ago, in the ‘60s I always carried a full tool kit with me, and often needed it. I guess I’m out of the habit now. 
Steve w 

I carry extra fluids( oil, water & hydraulic fluid), a comprehensive set of tools (that are actually useful on the car rather than complete as-bought sets which have sizes you'll never need), a car jack and wheel nut long arm brace, a rag to wipe hands on, a good length of strong cord, cable ties, and of course gaffer tape.

Pete. 

10 minutes ago, Bfg said:

I carry extra fluids( oil, water & hydraulic fluid), a comprehensive set of tools (that are actually useful on the car rather than complete as-bought sets which have sizes you'll never need), a car jack and wheel nut long arm brace, a rag to wipe hands on, a good length of strong cord, cable ties, and of course gaffer tape.

Pete. 

Rubber gloves beat the rag hands down !

On 8/27/2022 at 4:14 PM, Swscar said:

Hi all

I’ve just in the process of buying a 1974 CR and would like to know the sort of spares and tools I should carry with me. I live in Devon and also want to find a good experienced garage. 
any help would be most appreciated. 
thanks

Steve w 

Hi Steve, I am in Plymouth and am in the process of a full nut and bolt body off restoration of a CR car.

You are welcome to come and have a look at the completed chassis and suspension, would give you an idea of what to look out for.

Cheers

1B1C0A4B-273F-486D-B0E5-B6A2D35DF10A.jpeg

Hi there

that’s really good of you

could i come over on Tuesday if that’s 

just let me know what time suits you and your address. If it’s not convenient then you tell me when. 
cheers

Steve 

Edited by Swscar
Privacy

Steve - it isn't a good idea to put your personal details in a post on this forum. It can be read by anyone including web 'crawlers' used by scammers. It is safer to use a personal message to the recipient for such details.  Just click on their avatar and the message option appears.  It would be a good idea to edit that post to remove the details. 

Edited by RobH